Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How much to go fr. Riu to Sosua?

my friends and I are staying at the riu bachata, we are very interested in snorkeling, one of the pals, does not like boats AT ALL but still wants to go snorkeling, i was thinking if we went to Sosua by cab from the hotel and spent the day there (I think that the boat trip is to Sosua anyway), how much are we looking at for a round trip, there will be 3 of us for sure if not 4… Greg i’m sure you might no the answer to this, and I may have even read it somewhere before… any help would be greatly appreciated… thanks… ::slight_smile:

You can snorkel in Bahia Maimon right off the sports beach at the Bachata, calm waters and lots to see.

A cab from inside the hotel is expensive … but if you walk out the main gates you can get a cab for about 500 pesos each way (you may have to walk up to the main road)

The snorkelling in front of the hotels is decent (never tried in the bay though), if the water is calm. In 2004 we snorkelled a lot … but in 2005 we didn’t snorkel at all because the water was too murky.

While I think your reasoning is sound, I am a bit doubtful that even a local taxi will take $500 RD pesos for Riu to Sosua. I seem to recall that they wanted $500RD pesos for Sosua - POP. On the other hand if you hire him by the hour ($200RD pesos per hour if enough hours) it won’t work out to much more and if you’ve got a few guys it will be downright cheap. It might take a while on the side of the road before you get an empty local taxi to stop but when you do he will think he hit the Banca (their lottery).

Just be sure to set the price before getting in and only pay when back at your hotel.

Gregg

i have some dumb questions guys… how far is it to the main road from the hotel??? so should we take our chances by going to the main road and hiring a taxi there, or should we make the arrangements from inside the hotel. why the difference in the prices??? Would a driver be willing to give up a day??? I have been to the DR on 5 previous occassions and have never done anything like this before, so it is all new to me…
Advice as always is greatly appreciated… tnxs…

You’re right, 500 pesos is the cheapest we’ve paid, but I sure wouldn’t expect it every time.

From Sosua to Riu we paid 500 pesos all three times (actually, I think we paid 600 one time) … lots of cabs at the Texico station so it was pretty easy to quickly get a cab at a good price.

From Riu to Sosoa, we’ve paid anywhere from 500 (only once) to 700 pesos (there was 4 of us, so we just paid the 700 without bothering to negotiate too much)

Whatever you pay, it’s much cheaper than getting a cab in the lobby (at around $40US one way, if I remember right)

[quote author=torrock board=Poparea thread=1137878450 post=1138136435]You’re right, 500 pesos is the cheapest we’ve paid, but I sure wouldn’t expect it every time.

From Sosua to Riu we paid 500 pesos all three times (actually, I think we paid 600 one time) … lots of cabs at the Texico station so it was pretty easy to quickly get a cab at a good price.

From Riu to Sosoa, we’ve paid anywhere from 500 (only once) to 700 pesos (there was 4 of us, so we just paid the 700 without bothering to negotiate too much)

Whatever you pay, it’s much cheaper than getting a cab in the lobby (at around $40US one way, if I remember right)[/quote]

Now it’s coming together in my mind.

FYI the guys in the Texaco parking lot are not Taxi Drivers; they are carro publico drivers. (The taxi drivers hang out at the corner of Perdro Clisante and Dr. Rosen, not up on the main road.) What you actually did with the carro publico drivers was to hire the entire vehicle so they wouldn’t pick up any additional passengesrs. The last time I did that was after a night at Rocky’s and for Giselle and me to the Coral Marien “solo” was $200RD pesos. $500RD pesos is a huge fare for them - but hey if it works, it works; it’s still cheap by any measuring stick.

Gregg

Gregg, thanks for the info. So are we hiring the car for the day, like does the guy come with us for the day or just drive us to Sosua and then we have to find another cab to take us back. Sorry but i’m confused to say the least, and it is not like i’ve never been to the DR before, just never tried anything along this line, to me it is starting to get a bit to complicated for my likeing, and may just scrap the whole idea… if my friend can’t go on the boat, oh well sucks to be her i’m thinking (I’M just kidding) hehehehe.
And when we get there, do we have to hire a chair and such??? what about our belongings, who watches those for us… Gregg help me out here… :-/

[quote author=penneylane board=Poparea thread=1137878450 post=1138197090]Gregg, thanks for the info. So are we hiring the car for the day, like does the guy come with us for the day or just drive us to Sosua and then we have to find another cab to take us back. Sorry but i’m confused to say the least, and it is not like i’ve never been to the DR before, just never tried anything along this line, to me it is starting to get a bit to complicated for my likeing, and may just scrap the whole idea… if my friend can’t go on the boat, oh well sucks to be her i’m thinking (I’M just kidding) hehehehe.
And when we get there, do we have to hire a chair and such??? what about our belongings, who watches those for us… Gregg help me out here… :-/[/quote]
OK here’s the least complicated way to do it (also the most expemsive)…

In the lobby make the best deal you can with a taxi driver for a TWO WAY fare to Sosua and specify how long you want to be there. He will drop you and either wait; or come back at the agreed upon time. Pay him NOTHING until you get back to the hotel or there is always a chance he might not return if he gets a better offer than the return portion of your fare. If he doesn’t return you will have lots of money to pay for a one way to Riu and to heck with the guy who didn’t return. If he returns (which he probably will) when you get back to your resort you pay what was agreed plus a reasonable tip if you think it is warranted.

In Sosua you rent chairs, umbrella, table, etc. from one of the chair guys and he will keep an eye on your belongings and get you food or cold beer, etc.; for a fee. While he will watch your stuff, you are ultimately responsible so don’t invite problems.

Gregg

It’s possible, but if you mean the mini-vans, then it wasn’t … it was just a regular 4 (or 5) passenger car

Just curious, because I plan to go back again next September … if I’m paying too much, I wanna know, haha (seriously though, I don’t really mind paying the 500 pesos, that’s only $20 for quite the long ride back)

penneylane, don’t worry, the more we talk about it, the more confusing it sounds (I’m starting to get confused, haha) … but it really is fairly easy
(once you get into taking gua gua’s, then it gets confusing!)

My suggestion is to try the main road, worst case, it doesn’t work out and you can just walk back to the hotel and get a regular cab

[quote author=torrock board=Poparea thread=1137878450 post=1138219256]It’s possible, but if you mean the mini-vans, then it wasn’t … it was just a regular 4 (or 5) passenger car

Just curious, because I plan to go back again next September … if I’m paying too much, I wanna know, haha (seriously though, I don’t really mind paying the 500 pesos, that’s only $20 for quite the long ride back)[/quote]
A carro publico is like a shared taxi. It usually costs a bit more than a guagua but it stops like a guagua to pick up passengers (unlike a taxi which is yours for the fare paid). Usually they put at least two (three if small) in the front with the driver and four (five if small) in the back. If you pay for the car “solo” they will not stop for additional passengers.

My vehicle of choice is the guagua and I love the way they can always jam another person in the vehicle. My record is 23 in a minivan - three of which were outside on the running boards.

Gregg

Torrock & Gregg - Thank you both so much for your valueable information. what i think will happen with this situation is we will just play it by ear… what happens, happens, if we get screwed out a couple of bucks, oh well we are on vacation, who cares right… and it will be an experience, something for us all to remember. Anyway, thanks again, i will let you guys know how we make out… only 14 more sleeps now… :sunglasses: