Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How you see the solution

to solve one of the most annoying things in the resorts: keeping occupied the chairs on the beach and pools?
In our previous trips was more or less “THE #1 PROBLEM” in the visited resorts. In some of the places was so-so, and in some was just terrible. (worst at Edenh Punta Cana)
Now in 5 weeks or so we will be at IHD, and I read there is this issue a real one.
If you would be in charge, what would you do to stop the bad practice used by the tourists to keep two, or even three chairs occupied with a towel, or/and personal belongings, and perhaps sitting at the swim-up bar all day not using really one chair…?
In my opinion the resorts should give away only one beach towel !!! (not many as people wanted and actually got last year at EdenH ) and than keeping a beach towel on one chair would be fine. And definitely no personal items would keep a chair busy.
The question is even if somebody from the resorts is reading this will implement it or not.
So anybody has another idea?
Maybe will be solved the problem sooner than we hope?

We like to walk the beach in the early morning …8 am… for about an hour after breakfast. If I waited until I got back I would not find a suitable place for the day. I “reserve” our chairs in one place only…usually the beach with personal items so that we can spend the rest of the day at the same spot. I don’t know how you can get around this issue. Once we are back from our walk we use the chairs for the entire day. I do see people reserving chairs at both the pool and the beach and sometimes never use them! I also see chairs on the beach “saved” but vacant for most of the day. Maybe a number system from the hotel to place on your chair if you are walking etc. Good for a couple of hours. I would hate to give up our walk to come back to no chairs in view of the fact that we got up early enough but could not find a place upon our return. It is a problem and there must be a solution out there.

Talking about a walk…
Last January we used with my wife two chairs on the beach area at EdenH . After about 10:30 we went for a walk for about one - one and a half hour. We left our towels and a bag with personal stuff on the chairs. When we got back, was everything there in the same place, but on the sand. Chairs? Who knows which was ours… just was taken.
BTW we don’t mind going on the beach very early, just for to enjoy the sunrise (in Punta Cana) and we could usually reserve two chairs on the beach (we never stay by the pool). But to reserve and have a chair per person reserved shouldn’t be the result of fights.

Hi Joe!

I have made a sign up that says

“Please do not move my things
I will be back in a moment”

I have printed it up in bold letters and translated, in Spanish, German, English and French.

So far it has worked.

Happy Travels,
bb/mt ;D

i like that idea baltobabe!!! i think i may use that one lol

I do the same as Baltobabe, but only reserve 2 and do my morning walk

[sub]mova mi stuff I smaha u face[/sub]

I see it just like going to the movies or any other general admission event…if I get up/there early enough to get the prime seat that’s the price I paid (getting up/there early) Like they say, the early bird gets the worm. That being said, I never "reserve " seats and never use them. I may go for a walk or lunch or play volleyball and would expect my seats to be there when I come back

[quote=@hlywud]
[sub]mova mi stuff I smaha u face[/sub][/quote] good one…

I’m thinking of bringing my laptop lock and locking our chairs together and a small table … just a thought :P.

I do like the sign idea, not sure this will ever get solved by the resorts.

I think they should give out chair cards & in the morning you go to the gentleman with the stack of chairs, he sets out your chair for you & at the end of the day you return the chair or have it collected & get your card back, just like towels, that way people don’t have chairs at both the beach & pool, it would then be the responsiblity of the resort to make sure they have enough chairs for all. Just a thought:)

Hi BB, and have a Happy New Year and happy travel to you.
It is not a bad idea. But like every system is good until someone will start breaking the rule.
Now I would imagine some people might use a copy machine to make 2 or 3 signs like that and use in that many chairs…
Well, I can’t imagine myself or my wife to reserve more than two chairs for us, but not us or not you or not other “good people” would do those unfair practices.
Now BB that part what might be a solution to keep your chair for a day for you. But what to do with the original issue: you walk at 8:30 am and no chair is available, every chair has on it some item to keep reserved. Not a beach towel. But a book, a magazine, shoes or something like that. How you would deal with that if you would be a manager let say at your favorite place: Dreams la Romana ? And some tourist would stop you complaining about the situation, and you know there are enough chairs for the number of guests, and you have to come up with a solution.
What would be your decision for solving the problem.

[quote=@joecan]Hi BB, and have a Happy New Year and happy travel to you.
It is not a bad idea. But like every system is good until someone will start breaking the rule.
Now I would imagine some people might use a copy machine to make 2 or 3 signs like that and use in that many chairs…
Well, I can’t imagine myself or my wife to reserve more than two chairs for us, but not us or not you or not other “good people” would do those unfair practices.
Now BB that part what might be a solution to keep your chair for a day for you. But what to do with the original issue: you walk at 8:30 am and no chair is available, every chair has on it some item to keep reserved. Not a beach towel. But a book, a magazine, shoes or something like that. How you would deal with that if you would be a manager let say at your favorite place: Dreams la Romana ? And some tourist would stop you complaining about the situation, and you know there are enough chairs for the number of guests, and you have to come up with a solution.
What would be your decision for solving the problem.[/quote]

I’ve never heard anyone complain that they couldn’t get a chair (there was enough chairs for everyone) I’ve only heard people complain when the weren’t able to get a shady spot or that they had sit too far from the bar. If there really isn’t enough chairs for everyone then that should be addressed by management

Hi Joe,

Happy New Year to you too and thanks for the good wishes!

Just thinking out loud here…kind of “brainstorming”…

Maybe chairs could be assigned like your room…with your room you would get a chair number and that would be your chair while you were at the resort.

Of course that means that the chairs would have to be numbered…and maybe you would have a little card to carry with you to prove that is your number and there for your chair…

And if you wanted to “exchange” chairs you could go to the towel hut and someone there would be able to help folks exchange if they wanted pool rather than beach…

And maybe there would be a certain number of chairs both at beach and at pool that would be un numbered and open for grabs…

Like I said…just thinking out loud…

I see a lot of holes in the above but its a start…

or…

Maybe prime areas …shaded at both pool or pool would be up for RENT…you could reserve these daily or weekly at a small fee…

I don’t know that there is an answer to the age old game of “The Chair Game”…

I’ve been lucky thus far…

Happy Travels ALL!
bb/mt ;D

Jimmy, generally speaking you are right - is more the issue of shade. But have you being at EdenH last January? We were there and was brutal seeing people taking from towel booth 4-6 towels and start reserving chairs everywhere. And I hope you believe it: I’m not making it up!
BB that sounds complicated.
We need a Presidente to think about it…

Joe I believe you, I was at EdenH last April and saw the same thing.

I think that the problem lies IN the Guest and saving double spots…one at the beach and one at the pool…Chair HOGS!

I don’t know how to fix a Chair HOG…they are just rude and inconsiderate…

I am a beach girl and once I am there…there is where I stay…at least until late afternoon and I may stop by the pool to take a quick dip before going into rest… Most times I find a chair at the pool…by that time I am not looking for shade…just somplace to drop my stuff and then go to the pool bar and sit and sip a drink and then maybe come out and lay in the sun a few minutes more before a shower and a nap…

Happy Travels!

bb/mt ;D

BB, I’m with you and everything you said here.
Beach(boy), drink, sometimes need a place just to keep stuff for a few minutes.
I hope one day we’ll meet somewhere…

Hola mi amiga BB, hola neighbour Joe, the sign works for me:

Please do not move my things. I will be back in a moment.
No mueva por favor mis cosas. Estaré detrás en un momento.
Bitte verschieben Sie nicht meine Sachen. Ich bin sofort zurück.
Veuillez ne pas déplacer mes choses. Je serai de retour dans un moment.

Just put a little happy smiling sun on it too :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Debbie

Edited… thanks to OBH for the correct German translation and rgaudreau for the French translation :sunglasses:

We have never had a problem with anyone taking our chairs, but really do use them all day, except to take a walk or go for lunch :stuck_out_tongue:
We have those ITSA beach towels that tie onto your chairs which really helps too, it would be a hassle for someone to remove them.They are bright yellow and purple and really stand out!!
Everyone knows they are ours LOL

We like walking at 6-6:30am and if we want a palapa we put our towels there, go for breakfast and then head down to the beach. So I guess we are guilty of the game but its the only way
…and like I said if we leave the beach for an extended time we do not hog the chairs, we will give them up.

People move around on the beach, turn their chairs, I honestly cannot see any system that would really work. You are talking about a big beach!! I just prefer to do my own thing, whatever works but with respect to others.
I do like the sign idea though :sunglasses: Sincde we are leaving Sunday :sunglasses: and its High season, the sign may just be the thing.
When we hit Steve’s bar Wednesday afternoon at 2 we ill give up our chairs :wink:

Hi Debbie next door,
thanks for the sign. I will make a few -(one per person), so that part of the story might be fixed for the future.
The original question is the bigger one (taking the chair away when not there happened only once in so many trips).
Where do you put your sign if all the chairs are taken, and have some object, and maybe a sign…?

Good Morning All!

Joe…I am feeling fiesty and funny this morning…so some more thoughts …

To avoid MOVING Chairs…they could be BOLTED DOWN…thus NO MOVING! hehehe!

OK, I know that is not going to happen…but its a thought…

Moving Chairs …the resort could have a “chair guard patrol” several gentlemen who are very stern walking beach and pool looking for folks breaking chair laws…if caught they could be put into “chair Jail” on the beach…hehehe! would show the errant guest that the resort takes Chair Moving and stealing and the Chair game as a CRIME!!!

At Check in the guest would be asked to read and sign the Rules of Behaviour which would include Chair Game RULES" and if caught they would be thrown into Chair Jail on the beach!

What do you think? Think any of it would work? LOL!

I told you I was feeling feisty and funny this morning…and I haven’t even had my coffee yet!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt

ps/ Hey deb thanks for the translations…I am going to copy those and re print my sign…also I laminate my sign that way it lasts near the water…in the past one year I printed my picture on the sign…one of me snorkeling…

I bought one of those Vacation Vaults. They are safes that you can attach to your chair (or other item). It keeps your stuff safe and no one is likely to take your chair. You could probably even attach it to two chairs to keep them together.