Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Humanitarian Aid To Roatan Honduras

I will be heading to Roatan Honduras… West end …February 10th and I will be taking humanitarian Aid with me.

This is my first trip to Roatan and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has taken any humanitarian aid with them and where they took it.

I am sure I will find someone to give it to but if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should head then please let me know.

I will be staying at the Reef House… a small resort that is family run.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

Hey freedom ryder,
If your checking this on your holiday, Ms Peggy is a nurse who runs a clinic in Sandy Bay. We got her info from friends on the island as she doesn’t charge locals for medications. We are heading there on the 17th with 2 suitcases from NJT. Hope your having a great trip… I know you are.

[quote author=sandybeech board=Honduras thread=1169776300 post=1171492957]Hey freedom ryder,
If your checking this on your holiday, Ms Peggy is a nurse who runs a clinic in Sandy Bay. We got her info from friends on the island as she doesn’t charge locals for medications. We are heading there on the 17th with 2 suitcases from NJT. Hope your having a great trip… I know you are.
[/quote]

Hello Sandybeech

Thank You for the information on Ms. Peggy and the clinic in Sandy Bay. I received the information once I returned to Canada.

Unfortunately I had no access to the internet while I was in Honduras. The internet was down at the resort I was staying at during my whole trip.

I did however find a pastor at a Church to give some items to. The community was in desperate need of most of the items I brought along with me. In fact the Community church had no roof on it and was in the middle of a very poor area of Roatan.

I was also able to give some much needed school supplies to a Community school. Some of the schools are private but I found a school that was not private to donate supplies to.

It was very hard to get around the Island and I had to be back at the resort before dark. The water taxi’s quit operating at night fall, usually at or before 6:00 p.m.

I have been to poor Country’s before but other than Haiti I believe Honduras is the next poorest Country I have been to. Most of the Community’s in the Oakridge area I visited are in desperate need of everything.

For anyone heading to Honduras anything you bring along in the way of donations are much needed and really appreciated by the recipients.

There is a saying in Roatan for those that do have money… “In Roatan, you can’t even give your money away!”… meaning, even if you do have money to purchase supplies, there are usually no supplies to purchase.

Freedom Ryder 8-)…