Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Hurricane Paloma Eyes Cuba

Not again!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day#contents

I know! We were going to go last minute in a week, but if they get slammed we will have to postpone until January. I hope this one veers off course, but what are the chances, it looks like it is headed right for Cuba!

Looking at the NOAA model, its not if Cuba gets hit, it’s when.
A couple of small blessings (if a hurricane can have such a thing) it’s going to hit the south coast, and (crosses fingers) hopefully by the time it makes it to Holguin, it will be weaker as its crossed the mountains.
But really, does Cuba need any more visitors of this type?

The poor people must have a sinking feeling in their stomachs. Hopefully Holguin does not get hit again - so many houses still don’t have roofs!
I hate these late storms and hurricanes. We got hit by TS Noel in the DR last year about this time - we thought the season was over by then.
Keeping Cuba in my prayers…

Well our flight on Sunady to Cayo Coco has been cancelled :frowning: :frowning: :’(
On the phone on hold right now finding out our options.

Canucks if you don’t mind me asking who were you flying with?

Bev

Air transat

We have rescheduled but “oh crap” there are so many things now we have to rearrange. It is so odd as everything was working so remarkably well for this upcoming week. Hubbie’s jobs had all finished and there was a week before any scheduled production was set to go. For me my week was really lax. It was like the stars were alighning in our favour. So strange how relaxing week would have been and now … well you guys get it.

Two bulletins regarding flights to Cayo Coco (effects of Paloma) are on the Air Transat website.

FLIGHT CHANGES/CANCELLATION:

Updated on November 7, 2008, 16:40 PM EST

Important Notice – Ouragan Paloma / Cayo Coco (Cuba)

We would like to inform you that, as a safety measure, the following flights of Sunday November 9th are cancelled :

• TS214, departing from Toronto
  • TS780, departing from Montreal

Please contact your travel agent for more details.

Thank you for your collaboration.

EVACUATION:

Updated on November 7, 2008, 16:34 PM EST
Hurricane Paloma - Passengers evacuation - Cayo Coco (Cuba)

In prevision to hurricane Paloma’s path, all passengers currently in Cayo Coco (Cuba) will be evacuated on Friday, November 7th and Saturday November 8th. Here are the details:

Friday – November 7th

Air Transat TS213

• Departure from Cayo Coco at 21h00 local time
  • Arrival at Montreal at 00h35 local time

Air Transat TS445

• Departure from Cayo Coco at 22h00 local time
  • Arrival at Toronto at 01h25 local time

Saturday – November 8th

Air Transat TS503

• Departure from Cayo Coco at 03h40 local time
  • Arrival at Montreal at 07h15 local time

Air Transat TS643

• Departure from Cayo Coco at 03h50 local time
  • Arrival at Toronto at 07h25 local time

If you are looking for flight numbers
You can add TS 214 to the cancellation list
Toronto (yyz) to Cayo Coco (CCC) Sunday Nov 9th

I am so sorry Canucks, we had friends who were supposed to be on that Sunday flight… Just found out they accepted the refund!

Thank you for responding and I hope you get a chance to get away soon!

Bev

So sorry Canucks! especially that everything worked out for next week. :frowning: Hope you can reschedule soon.

No Canucks, what a shame. You were so looking forward to this. I hope all will be well for the people there.

I sure feel for you Canuks! How utterly disappointing to have had your trip cancelled.

Getting away when you’re self-employed like we are is difficult at the best of times- and then Murphy’s Law or Mother Nature kicks in.

I hope you’ve got a bottle of Havana Club around the house somewhere because this logistical nightmare you’re going through requires something strong to calm the nerves.

Thanks guys! No Rum but oh well nice to have some kind words from you all.

In the whole scale of things the inconvenience of an altered trip is minor to those that are living and working in the area. But now it looks like our trip could have been salvaged but AT evacuated the clients in Cayo Coco and while the storm would be through by the time we should have been there I guess it was easier to just cancel the week in Cuba for Cancun.

Not good news coming out today…
Paloma becomes Category 4 storm, heads toward Cuba

Updated Sat. Nov. 8 2008 8:38 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Hurricane Paloma is headed toward Cuba as a dangerous Category 4 storm with sustained winds reaching 215 kilometres per hour.

Forecasters at the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said the storm intensified early Saturday morning after slamming into the Cayman Islands as a Category 1 storm, dumping heavy rains on the island and downing trees and road signs.

The late-season storm is expected to hit storm-ravaged Cuba late Saturday or early Sunday. As many as 25 centimetres of rain could fall on central and eastern parts of the country.

As of 7 a.m. Eastern time, the storm was about 265 kilometres southwest of Camaguey, Cuba. The centre of the hurricane was southeast of Cayman Brac and moving northeast at 11 kilometres per hour.

Hurricanes Ike and Gustav have already wreaked havoc on Cuba. In late August, the two storms caused an estimated $9.4 billion in damage.

Nearly a third of the country’s crops were destroyed, which caused shortages of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Storm chaser George Kourounis said that wind gusts in a Category 4 storm can reach speeds of 240 or 250 kilometres per hour.

“It’s not so much the wind but it’s what the wind is carrying that does a lot of the damage,” Kourounis said Saturday morning in an interview on CTV Newsnet. “In the low-lying areas the storm surge, the hump of water that comes with the storm ashore, that’s what does most of the damage and causes most of the deaths.”

While the storm will weaken over Cuba’s mountain regions, Kourounis said, those living along the shoreline will be bracing for “a very strong hit tonight and into tomorrow.”

With files from The Associated Press

It looks like it is heading for Las Tunas - or even Manzanillo.

The only good news is that the storm is expected to weaken very quickly after landfall, and it should also pass through Cuba very quickly. But it will hit hard when it does make landfall…

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/wide.ssf?/hurricane/content/stormpulse_page.html

This is just not going away It is projected to turn back after crossing Cuba and go west along the north side of the Island.

Paloma - no it should be called Problemo

http://cubahurricanes.com/index.php

Interesting site for historical Hurricane information

[quote=@canuks]http://www.nola.com/hurricane/wide.ssf?/hurricane/content/stormpulse_page.html

This is just not going away It is projected to turn back after crossing Cuba and go west along the north side of the Island.

Paloma - no it should be called Problemo[/quote]

That’s the read I got from an earlier tracking map

From: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200817.public.html

Statement as of 7:00 am EST on November 09, 2008

…Paloma weakening rapidly…

at 7 am EST…1200 UTC…the government of Cuba has discontinued all
warnings associated with Paloma.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the central Bahamas…
including Cat Island…the Exumas…Long Island…Rum Cay…San
Salvador…Acklins Island…Crooked Island and the Ragged Islands.

For storm information specific to your area…please monitor
products issued by your local weather office.

At 700 am EST…1200z…the center of Tropical Storm Paloma was
relocated near latitude 21.3 north…longitude 77.8 west. This
position is near Camaguey Cuba.

Paloma is moving toward the north-northeast near 5 mph…7 km/hr. A
decrease in forward speed is expected over the next 24 to 48 hours.
On the forecast track…the center of Paloma should be near the
north coast of Cuba later today and be approaching the central
Bahamas by Monday morning.

Maximum sustained winds are near 70 mph…110 km/hr…with higher
gusts. Continued weakening is expected today. Paloma is forecast
to degenerate to a weak area of low pressure by Monday.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 115 miles…185 km.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 985 mb…29.09 inches.

Storm surge flooding along the South Coast of Cuba should diminish
today.

Paloma is expected to produce additional rainfall totals of 1 to 2
inches over eastern Cuba. Rainfall accumulations of 5 to 10
inches are possible over the central Bahamas.