Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Hurricane SANDY

Hope that the storm doesn’t hit all of our friends in Cuba tooo hard. Looks like the path is heading towards Santiago de Cuba strait north to Holguin.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents

I was just watching the morning news and they were saying Havana was hit and the whole island is under hurricane alert. Heavy rains hitting Havana.

Officially:

[i]A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR…

• CUBAN PROVINCES OF CAMAGUEY…LAS TUNAS…GRANMA…SANTIAGO DE
    CUBA…HOLGUIN…AND GUANTANAMO[/i]

Hardly the whole island. Sandy is now past Cuba and heading for the Bahamas. Areas of Cuba may continue to get heavy rain for awhile. I think the areas most directly affected would be Santiago and Holguin. The hurricane tracked right across the island there.

I have taken the links down, as they will change with the storm’s progress.

I didn’t think Havana would be hit at all by this?? From what i read and saw, it was the other side of the country…looks like it is fast moving, so should be moved out by now.

I am sure there will be some damage done to the southeast side of the country, but lets hope nothing major or longterm!

Officially:

[i]A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR…

• CUBAN PROVINCES OF CAMAGUEY…LAS TUNAS…GRANMA…SANTIAGO DE
    CUBA…HOLGUIN…AND GUANTANAMO[/i]

Hardly the whole island. Sandy is now past Cuba and heading for the Bahamas. Areas of Cuba may continue to get heavy rain for awhile. I think the areas most directly affected would be Santiago and Holguin. The hurricane tracked right across the island there.

[/quote]

YEs eeeefarm… that is the way I was tracking it too. nowhere close to Havana. hope that the Cubans are all safe…

We may be getting more of a storm here in NB than Havana got. Maybe Sandy will end up as a big Nor’Easter? Time to batten down the hatches.

Monctonguy, according to the report I saw, Havana was hit with heavy rains and strong winds, (it looked pretty nasty on the video they showed) but the main force of the hurricane was per the map above. As with any hurricane, I’m sure the effects of this hurricane were felt far beyond where it tracked.

There are some photos of the damage here:
http://www.diariodecuba.com/multimedia/galerias

Hey Spunky…You really better batten down those hatches well!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/hurricane-sandy-could-bring-snow-gulp-eastern-canada-163803888.html

thanks for the pictures / link Spunky…

Ouch! there is some major damage in Santiago de Cuba and Palma Soriano… :’( :’(

I wonder if the folks who work at Club Buccanero are ok? :’(

eeeefarm do you have her email address to ask? Hope they are :-*

Sad…just very sad to see.

The information I have…from Trip Advisor posts…is that Bucanero is completely destroyed, and Costa Marina and Los Corales have sustained major damage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…

I found this on another site:

ten to twelve seconds in it looks like Bucanero is destroyed. I remember on one visit there discussing a previous hurricane with David who recalled the ocean crashing into the lobby. I can’t imagine the devastation. I always enjoyed going there and I hope they rebuild but it may not be possible.

Good thoughts to Cuba, folks…

According to recent reports and links that I have seen, most of the damage was in Santiago de Cuba, Holguin, Guantanamo, Manzanillo.

Here are some photos of the damage:

http://www.diariodecuba.com/multimedia/galerias

Not good, it will take awhile to clean up the mess and rebuild. Eleven lives were lost in Cuba during this hurricane.

And the hurricane continues on up through the eastern seaboard. It’s a strong storm.

I hear that BSM is in bad shape as well. I am saddened that these beloved hotels in the Oriente have been damaged so badly, as it is a big economic loss for the staff who have become like family to many of us.

[quote=@eeeefarm]The information I have…from Trip Advisor posts…is that Bucanero is completely destroyed, and Costa Marina and Los Corales have sustained major damage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…

[/quote]

Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all effected by this.

Called Sunwing to get an update on our upcoming trip to PP. All they could tell me is that they were assessing the situation and would advise us asap.

I asked if they were flying into Holguin and Santiago de Cuba this week; she said all they were doing is picking up travellers and they weren’t sending anyone down.

The only two airports that they are dropping off travellers was Varadero and Cayo Coco.

ald1, just received this e-mail from our mutual friend who works at the PP:
Thanks for this message, we are all fine. There is a lot of destruction, though: no water, no electricity, lots of farmers houses gone or partially damaged, even apartments like mine were left with no windows or doors. Fortunately, we did save water and froze most of our supplies so they can last a bit longer hoping electricity is restored soon. I am not working in the office as all our efforts are to put the hotel back together, gardens were badly hit but not the structure of the buildings, so this must be a matter of days for the clean up. we do not have water in the hotel as there is no power outside the hotel, it should be fixed by this morning.
Once again thanks a lot and we need your prayers!!!

Hi ald1,

I just spoke to a friend who was booked for Brisas Guardalavaca on Monday - she had a call from her travel agent today to tell her that they are being sent to Playa Pesquero instead. I think they are booked through redtag.
Hope that helps.

Laura

[quote=@zendudette]ald1, just received this e-mail from our mutual friend who works at the PP:
Thanks for this message, we are all fine. There is a lot of destruction, though: no water, no electricity, lots of farmers houses gone or partially damaged, even apartments like mine were left with no windows or doors. Fortunately, we did save water and froze most of our supplies so they can last a bit longer hoping electricity is restored soon. I am not working in the office as all our efforts are to put the hotel back together, gardens were badly hit but not the structure of the buildings, so this must be a matter of days for the clean up. we do not have water in the hotel as there is no power outside the hotel, it should be fixed by this morning.
Once again thanks a lot and we need your prayers!!!
[/quote]

Thanks Zendudette… I got your PM too
such devastation … our prayers are with everyone