Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

HUSA Cayo Santa Maria, December deal

Holà Dudes and Dudettes,

Has anyone been to Cayo Santa Maria lately? Got a great deal for the HUSA in two weeks and just wondering if there’s anything specific we should be looking for.

Not interested in the usual comments about bathroom tiles-duh, pool temp, muskies, the food, or the beach (been there done that) but as we do want to be as close to the beach as possible, any suggestions on edificios would be appreciated. We’re looking at buildings 24-27. As far as we can tell, there are 2 sections: Colonial on the left facing the playa, and Beach section on the right. Bldgs 24-27 are in the Colonial, me thinks.

If you are regulars there, or have met exceptional staff members, by all means let us know and we will seek them out. We will be bringing money and practical items as gifts.
Suggestions in this area are also welcome.

Tanks!
Zendudette
p.s. I’m retiring in TWO DAYS, can I have a hallaloo? :o :smiley:

Congrats on retirement. I stayed there when it was run by Barcelo and we enjoyed it but you will find it a lot of walking. The place is huge. When we were there, the midnight snack bar was the best we have ever seen in Cuba but it is at the farthest west end of the resort beside unit 23. We were in unit 5, so about a 15 min walk. Actually, the buffet when we arrived at midnight was better than some Cuban resorts have for their main buffet for dinner. They offered lobster on the main buffet at least on 2 nights but I expect all of that has now changed - for the worse.

Copy the map and take it with you. When we were there, the units were not marked at all well. A flashlight will be useful too.

One side (Colonial) is units 20 to 30, the other (Beach)is 1 to 10 but it is all one place. The buffet is sometimes open on both sides, sometimes just on one side, depending upon how busy. The units are essential identical and we found the rooms to be very nice but a bit noisy if neighbours are slamming doors in the night.

Our most favourite time was drinking Spanish Cava in the main lounge. They had a huge bucket full of bottles on ice each night. Wow.

Sounds like a pretty nice place. I have seen some deals to this place outta the Maritimes so maybe I should be looking more closely at this place!

But it is now run by Husa and is now rated a 10 - oops that’s 10th out of 10 - in CSM on TA. I don’t think you’ll find lobster or good champagne there now.

Hi guys, am still searching for recent site map AND contact info. Will send it in to be added to the lists, when I find the dang stuff!

[quote=@zendudette]Holà Dudes and Dudettes,

Has anyone been to Cayo Santa Maria lately? Got a great deal for the HUSA in two weeks and just wondering if there’s anything specific we should be looking for.

Not interested in the usual comments about bathroom tiles-duh, pool temp, muskies, the food, or the beach (been there done that) but as we do want to be as close to the beach as possible, any suggestions on edificios would be appreciated. We’re looking at buildings 24-27. As far as we can tell, there are 2 sections: Colonial on the left facing the playa, and Beach section on the right. Bldgs 24-27 are in the Colonial, me thinks.

If you are regulars there, or have met exceptional staff members, by all means let us know and we will seek them out. We will be bringing money and practical items as gifts.
Suggestions in this area are also welcome.

Tanks!
Zendudette
p.s. I’m retiring in TWO DAYS, can I have a hallaloo? :o :smiley:

[/quote]

Allo

Felicitations pour la retraite… never been to that hotel in CSM We were at memories in March 2013 and it was nice. Hope you get the info you are looking for.
Nous quittons pour Cuba mercredi dans le @#$*& de tempete. bien hate de toucher au sol à Santiago de Cuba,
Take care Zen.

Congrats on retirement Zen. What the heck will you do now? Visit NB more, eh?

Hey Your Spunkyness, thanks. I DO have a 2nd job out of home, but instead of 50 hrs/wk, I’ll be doing under 20 and the perk is that I’m the boss :slight_smile: I guess in the coming winter months, it will be W&W (west and wewaxation), with short Moncton visits wit me Mum, a gazillion little bucket list projects to come, like Spain, more Cuba, and getting my knee back up to Salsa par. It’s all GOOD.

Merci ald et bon voyage… minus la tempête! Hasta la mojito, Baby!

Less than a month to “Un gros messe de poutine râpée”.
20 hrs freelancing translation?

yep, or as they say in Qc: Why not, 'sti!
Thanks for the map MonctonGuy.
I wrote to the hotel using my very best (blech, burp, yuk, er, um) Spanish.

I write in English, then use google to translate and put both in the email. I’ve always found the the person answering emails has a good command of English. Of course, I have only a few words in Spanish I know, so I might get arrested upon arrival if I did the email in Spanish. What’s worse, the few words I know get mixed up between Spanish and Italian. When I say Caio to a Cuban bartender, they sometimes reply in Italian and I get really confused.

I hear ya, it’s tricky sometimes… makes me think of a male friend of mine who walked into a bar in Habana and yelled to the barman, over the loud music playing: “Donde estan los hombres?”, looking for the loo. What he got was rather a bunch of macho Cubans looking for a fight LOL
I kid you not!
Another anecdote, a Chinese friend of mine once told me to watch my intonation when I said hello in Chinese because hello said the wrong way could translate to “Your mother-in-law is a…” Well, you fill in the rest! :smiley:

AAARrrrrr, just found out our package going for 100$ less this morning. Hate when that happens!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nee How Mah! Zen. It was Mandarin, eh?
Love your MIL. LOL

Yes I think ni hao is Mandarin. Lei hao mah is Cantonese. You speaky, spunky?
Learning Chinese (Mandarin) is also on my bucket list, after Swahili of course :smiley: