Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

I need a carry-on suggestion

I am travelling with Sunwing for the very first time, and they have the audacity to limit my carryon to 5kg. Really, this SHOULDN’T be a problem as it’s a short flight (YYZ-VRA) etc. BUT I do have to haul it around the airport with me AND I’m sitting in a bulkhead seat, so can’t stow it below. I’m also in the WINDOW bulkhead seat (I may not have thought this through very well) so I’d have to have access to it during the flight (I seriously apologize to my seat mates NOW).

Any recommendations of a good bag? I don’t want a roller bag, as I think that would be overkill and impossible to get in and out of quickly. I have a LUG weekender bag, but I really hate it as a carry on, as the straps aren’t very good; it’s over the shoulder and the straps aren’t very long. It gets awkward to carry for 2-3 hours. I was looking at a gym-type bag at Aritizia: http://aritzia.com/en/powell-bag/35858.html?dwvar_35858_color=4058#start=8 but I’m afraid its straps might be too short too.

Remember 5Kg amounts to only 11 lbs. I was going to suggest the Lug Mambo beach bag. Lightweight with lots of pockets. Decent enough size to pack some clothes, electronics and whatever else you might need. But, remember 11 lbs really isn’t that much.

I’ll look into it as I do love Lug products.

I don’t need a lot, just a bathing suit, clean undies, a bit of sunscreen, etc. I learned the hard way not to pack trivial stuff in my carryon, when my kids and I made it to Cozumel but our luggage remained in Dallas! I also think that’s when I decided that direct flights were the way to go. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?!

Okay, I googled: http://www.luglife.com/mambo-sun-tote?whence=   I really like the looks of that! I may have to scout about to see if I can get one locally.

Before I went to California last year I went to Wal-Mart and got a clearance nylon backpack for $5.00 that weighed almost nothing. Fits everything I need, can be squashed and conformed to fit in almost any space available. Any name branded, wheeled or handled carry-ons of any kind I have now don’t leave my closet except for road trips.

Hm. Also not a bad idea. My DD got this Eddie Bauer backpack for Christmas. It’s kinda like those K-Way jackets (remember those??) that fold into themselves. This does that and crumples up to the size of a shopping bag. I think I found it at Winners…

I guess if I travel with a practical purse, I don’t need to get into my carryon mid-flight. I guess purses have to be stowed for takeoff/landing too, though? Freaking bulkhead seat. When they offered it to me, I just thought “score!” without considering the lack of storage space.

Same as SharonAnn I use a small backpack that weighs almost nothing…I also use it as a daypack while in Cuba.

I just bought a small carry-on at Bentley’s, on sale. Make: Air Canada, small, lined, lightweight rectangular tote with shoulder strap _ velcro handles, large middle compartment and smaller front compartment, both with zippers, tons of storage. About the size of a small packpack, fits smoothly under the seat.

I had another one just like it (that’s why I love it) but I gave it away last year on Cayo Santa Maria.

[attachment id=“220” thumbnail=“1”]

I like the strap on that one, zendudette. That’s my biggest gripe about the Lug bag I have: short little straps=awkward to carry.

I’ll have to sweet talk my daughter to borrow her backpack. I have a feeling the gym bag thing I posted originally would annoy me just as much as the Lug, and a backpack is useful for day trips too.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/pacsafe-travel-gear-c-46.html?osCsid=785682c4cafb222668de6d6c7ef056a8

If you are worried about safety of your items ,…not having them above your head. This is a site Terry shared with me years ago. some pretty cool stuff but you are adding some weight…

The cases would be great for checking, but a bit too much for my carry-on needs. I do like this, however: http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/slingsafe-travel-handbag-p-1484.html?osCsid=a4adece1bb53772e5b455eb96ba4c110

That’s where most of my really important stuff goes and stays, and really, as long as I have access to my purse through the flight I’m cool. I just wish the bulkhead seat allowed for purse storage within sight, you know?

I always tuck my purse on the floor behind my feet (I try to get it behind the bar under the seat, but sometimes I just tuck it directly behind my feet).

If its a direct flight, do you need to bring a carry on? The 11 lbs isnt much at all once you factor in the weight of the bag. Plus there is little room to store it where you are sitting. Plus to access it during the flight(not sure why you would but) you have to inconveience others next to you.

Plus each time through secuirty you have to have it checked and so limited what you can put in the bag anyways.

For me it is NOT worth all the hassle to bring it with all the negatives.

I personally think its just a matter of time till they charge or remove carry ons for the most part. Delays the plane getting loaded quickly, people try to cram way too much stuff in there, people reaching over people to take stuff out of their carry ons.

My suggestion is no carry on…but thats just my opinion of a more relaxed easy way to travel!..lol

I agree with monctonguy. We bring one carry-on with camera, ereaders (any electronics so they don’t go to Mexico when we’re heading to Cuba (haha), meds, etc. I have a large purse that carries the money, passports, tickets, etc. And as for checked luggage, it’s usually just one large case. We’ve never gone over 37 lb total - so we go for 2 weeks and we travel light. I hate waiting around for luggage. This upcoming trip will be the first time in years that we’ve had more than 1 case and that’s just because we’re bringing something with us that is oversized (and yes we will declare it). How many clothes do you need in Cuba?

[quote=@monctonguy]If its a direct flight, do you need to bring a carry on? The 11 lbs isnt much at all once you factor in the weight of the bag. Plus there is little room to store it where you are sitting. Plus to access it during the flight(not sure why you would but) you have to inconveience others next to you.

Plus each time through secuirty you have to have it checked and so limited what you can put in the bag anyways.

I personally think its just a matter of time till they charge or remove carry ons for the most part. Delays the plane getting loaded quickly, people try to cram way too much stuff in there, people reaching over people to take stuff out of their carry ons.

My suggestion is no carry on…but thats just my opinion of a more relaxed easy way to travel!..lol[/quote]A carry-on is a necessity as there are some things that should not be put in checked baggage, besides for a 1-2 week trip everything one ‘needs’ can be put in a carry-on eliminating the hassle of retrieving checked bags. P-) 

long gone are these days… but people do still try

[quote=@canuks]long gone are these days… but people do still try

[a href=“http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Canuks/media/Heavycarryon-1.jpg.html”][img src=“http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/Canuks/Heavycarryon-1.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”][/a][/quote]However the knowledgeable traveller uses this (or similar)  [attachment id=“223” thumbnail=“1”]  [a href=“http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/packing-and-accessories/the-carry-on-challenge-how-to-pack-light-every-time”]carry on[/a]

You can also take in a purse.

Well we are 2 travelers but we do our best to take very little on board. One carry on wouldn’t suffice for the 2 of us. And we do have those wheel carry-ons, but they do take up a lot of space in the overhead. I think I saw one that the wheels are collapsible and fold back into the case but don’t know how or where to get one. So we now take a soft sided, shoulder sling bag and my purse!! And Canuks if my purse looked like that I couldn’t carry it. I’m like almost 5 feet tall and 94 pounds. I’m sure my husband could carry it, but I respect his reputation too much to ask him to do that. Well, that’s not true, I would ask him if I thought he would do it. But I would get the look; you know the outraged look that men get when they are asked to do feminine things. But I like to say that having a happy wife leads to a happy life!! He has it.

I have full confidence that I will get to Cuba, but only about 80% confidence that my checked bag will! I learned the hard way that a carry-on is a necessity, and what should go in it is kind of important. I had a flight from YYZ-DFW-CZM get changed to YYZ-DFW-next day-IAH-CZM when the weather got bad in Dallas, but I opted for YYZ-DFW-CUN-bus to PDC-ferry to CZM same day. My toothpaste, toothbrushes (my kids’ too!) underwear, sunscreen, clean clothes, and bug spray spent an extra couple of days in Dallas before joining me in Cozumel. I managed to buy another pair of underwear, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and sunscreen but it was expensive. I can’t think what it’d cost and hassle in Cuba!

I also don’t want to try and stuff all my valuables in my smallish purse. Admittedly, I probably won’t need to rummage in my carryon during the flight, but I will have to dig out my purse. Why, you ask? For a pen and passport for customs forms, my book, my iPod. Stuff that I’d normally stuff under the seat in front of me.

[quote=@busman7][quote=@monctonguy]If its a direct flight, do you need to bring a carry on? The 11 lbs isnt much at all once you factor in the weight of the bag. Plus there is little room to store it where you are sitting. Plus to access it during the flight(not sure why you would but) you have to inconveience others next to you.

My suggestion is no carry on…but thats just my opinion of a more relaxed easy way to travel!..lol[/quote]A carry-on is a necessity as there are some things that should not be put in checked baggage, besides for a 1-2 week trip everything one ‘needs’ can be put in a carry-on eliminating the hassle of retrieving checked bags. P-) 
[/quote]

Don’t follow your response busman7…no idea what you are talking about or mean…sorry. How is it a necessity, and what are things that should not be put in checked luggae. And it is more “hassle” for me to take a carry on then to retrieve a checked bag. But I only travel 5-10 times a year so what do I know…