Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

I quit

Hi guys
I quit smoking :o!!! I’m so afraid that when I get to the DR and have a cold one on a warm beach I’m going to start smoking again. I’m going to miss it sooooo much :’(. I know I’m healthier for quitting but…CAN I HAVE A GOOD TIME WITHOUT SMOKING

This question is obviously for the smokers. The non smokers wont understand.

I have 21 days in so far. wish me luck :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I can relate to your feelings of smoking. I went cold turkey for thirty days but since I don’t drink I should be fine. That is when I wanted a smoke the most ,when I had a smoke just looking at me daring me to light up. Good luck and I know you can do it.

Congratulations on your first 21 days, it does get easier. I quit 5yrs. 8mths and 3 days ago so I know what you are going through. My hardest part was and still is when I go on vacation but you get through it with alot of will power…keep up the good work!!!

You’re doing great Kelba! I quit for 9 months and, darn stupid fool that I am, started up again but I’m slacking off and hope to be a non-smoker by the time I get to DR. I went on vacation when I didn’t smoke and didn’t find it that hard actually. Are you on the patch? I was so pleased and proud of myself when I came out of the restaurants and bars - that feeling was sooooo good. Keep it up - you CAN do it. :slight_smile: :wink:

Congrats
It does get better! I had a beer on day #1 and it was great… actually tasted better… And now we go south TWICE a year instead of once!!!

Good Luck... Fred&Tracie...(2 years..3 months and still get cravings but no way)

Good foryou!
Besides all the health benefits from quitting smoking…look at all the money you will be saving for your NEXT trip!
I am a pack a day smoker…and one day, I will quit.
I would, too, be afraid to quit prior to a vacation…
but, if you can survive that…you have successfully quit!
( Besides, it’s getting to cold to go out for a smoke!!)
Congratulations Kelba!
Caroline

Congratulations on making it this far! What a fantastic thing to do for yourself ;D

You have already made a committment to your health, and you know how hard it is to quit - I’d say that’s a pretty solid foundation to not smoke while you’re away. We went to Punta Cana in Dec '04, 6 months after I quit, and I was really worried too, but once we were there, I didn’t even give it a second thought. If anything, I was disgusted by the smell of it and the sight of all those butts on the beach (that part grossed me out when I was a smoker too) You’ll be fine!

Congrats on your strenght!! I kinda quit :-/ but when I have a Beer I love one! It’s all in your head if you ask me, because it don’t bother me when I don’t have a beer and I own a Bar!!
For some reason its so nice to have a beer and smoke together. The next day is the worst because you feel like dirt! But yet I still love the old smoke with the beer! Oh my kelba, I wish I had your strength! :wink:
Keep it up. Don’t give in!
Cin

I am a smoker, so I feel for you. But tell yourself the trip is your reward for having quit, and if you smoke on it you don’t deserve the reward. Harsh words but if it helps, that’s all the counts. I plan to quit soon too. Hang in there be strong, and have a GREAT vacation.

[quote author=kelba board=general thread=1129239932 post=1129239932]Hi guys
I quit smoking :o!!! I’m so afraid that when I get to the DR and have a cold one on a warm beach I’m going to start smoking again. I’m going to miss it sooooo much :’(. I know I’m healthier for quitting but…CAN I HAVE A GOOD TIME WITHOUT SMOKING

I have 21 days in so far. wish me luck :wink: :wink: :wink: ;)[/quote]

Congrats…keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Kelba, how is day 22 going??? Keep up the good work!

I quit completly 3 years ago. Before that I smoked everytime we went on vacation. It is even harder to stop smoking when you have a drink, then just stopping smoking. I still have a smoke now and then.

Just go and have a good time. If you slip, so be it. But stick to your plan, and be a non smoker.

[quote author=kelba board=general thread=1129239932 post=1129239932]Hi guys

I have 21 days in so far. wish me luck :wink: :wink: :wink: ;)[/quote]

I have a different system, I never quit, just postponed my next smoke. Been postponing it for several years now but because I could have one if I really wanted I choose to wait until tomorrow or the next day maybe?

Cheers Amanda :-*

Amanda, that is a GREAT way to think about it!!!
Hula, Day 22 is good so far. I craved twice today but got through it.
You know what people? You all actually helped. I’m not kidding!!! When I read all the replys I thought " Yes, I can do it cause all these other people did it"
If I feel like a smoke down south I’ll just jump in the pool or ocean. That should take my mind off it.
Thanks everyone!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

A big congrats to you, especially before your trip!! That is awesome. I will be making the “big attempt” once I get back from the DR as everyone that I am travelling with is a smoker as well.

That takes lots of will power and strenght to do what you have done - I commend you greatly. Someone mentioned that when they quit and the beer actually tastes better. Well I have also heard that your sense of smell actually improves as well, so the food should also taste better as well, and that is another bonus. :slight_smile:

Congratulations Kelba!! 21 days already, you have certainly got the hardest part in already. I quit quite a few years ago now cold turkey and it was hard. What kept me going is I kept thinking how hard it was on the 1st day to have quit and I didn’t want to go back to it therefore did not start again. I feel much better and yes the food, drinks, etc… taste much better. Don’t give up, it gets better and easier. Have fun on your trip.

Hi Kelba,
Congrats, I know it is hard, the one thing I did was save the money I would spend every day on buying “them” and saved it up, after the first year I had an extra fantasic holiday with the money! :smiley:
Keep up the good work! :wink:

Kelba - Congrats and KEEP AT IT!

I quit quite a few years ago and had cravings for years when I was around smokers. Instead of bumming a cigarette, I bummed a draw. That one puff would make me kind of dizzy :oand I would give it back and not have another. If I had bummed the whole cig, I probably been hooked again and it had taken a bout of strep throat to quit in the first place.

The money I would have spent in a week (carton + 1/2) went into a jar along with Don’s as he quit at the same time (Ha Ha - another story). When we got married, the money in the jar paid our gas, meals, ferry from North Sydney and lodging down to Newfoundland & back for the wedding (I’m a Newfie).

PS. your clothes will smell sooooooo much better too! ;D

Congradulations!! Welcome to the non-smokers club ;D.

Don’t start again, please - it is the best thing you could have ever done. My father in law died from smoking at a 72, that is too young… I have plans for that age. lol

The benefits are endless:

You smell better, you save a pile of money, you ask to be seated in the NON smoking section without feeling guilty, you don’t have to go outside by yourself in sub below weather, you car starts to smell good…

We quit with the laser treatment. Everyone i know who has taken this has quit. If you need info email me and i’ll send the you the link.

We both quit September 2004 and each smoked one pack per day :stuck_out_tongue: - already one year gone buy.

Best thing we ever did.

It is true that when on Vacation the first thing that came to mind was : put my feet up, open a cervesa and have a cigarette. You woud be supprised - have a cervesa forget the Cigarette… enjoy the company and sinery instead.

Rachel

[quote author=d3ratch board=general thread=1129239932 post=1129490266]We quit with the laser treatment. Everyone i know who has taken this has quit. If you need info email me and i’ll send the you the link.
[/quote]

Can you please explain the laser treatment? Being a non-smoker, I’m not up on the cutting edge quitting technology! Anything that really works is great though.

Congratulations to you all. I look forward to the day when cigarette companies have to shut down due to lack of business, and healthy people abound!

Kaki