Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Information Please - Gran Bahia Samana

Hi Everyone!
Debbie suggested i ask here about some info on the Gran Bahia Samana. I was booked for Feb/06 and both Transat and AirCanada Vacations have canceled all bookings. All i can find out is that as of Dec.1/05 it will no longer be part of the Occidental group. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Skippy

All I could find out was that you can book the Occidental Bahia name after Dec. 5th but there are no packages to be found. Maybe someone else might be able to find one. You could try flying to P.P. and taking or renting a car as it is about a two hour drive from the airport according to their web page. The price to stay there for seven night was $1295US and you would have to add on the price of the air only. Very expensive way to go IMHO. As for not having the name Occidental not being mentioned it was still there when I did my search and found it to still to be there after Dec. I’m assuming Transat and Air Canada just don’t have any packages available.

I found pretty much the same thing too. The Occidental name shows up everywhere. Occidental Hotels still has it listed on their website.
http://www.occidentalhotels.com/

Thanks Guys, I’ll also see what i can find out when i head to the DR in Feb. With out a package deal it can get very expensive and sure would suck if we got there and they totally screwed up the reservations. Once again thanks.
Skippy

Hi Skippy. I am so glad to have read your posting. My husband and I were booked for the Gran Bahia in March with Transat. After reading your posting I contacted my travel agent who did some calling and found out that Transat has relocated our booking to the Occ Allergro Playa Dorada. This is a huge disappointment for us. I am not sure if we are going to with this change or not. My agent confirmed that the Gran Bahia is no longer with Occidental.

Hi Maplesugar, that was the same place they had us re-booked to and we said no. Had good friends went there last year and were very disappointed. We booked again at Bahia Principe San Juan in PP. We were there last year and really enjoyed it. we stayed in the Club Hacienda which is now Club Diamond and it was really quiet and private which we liked. Thats why we had booked at the Gran Bahia of Samana just since it look very private and homey looking . Transat gave us our full money back and we re-booked through Sunquest. Hopefully next season the Gran Bahia will be available again. Friends went last year and said it was incredible. Hopefully your agent won’t hold you to OGD and you can pick else where. God luck.
Skippy

The Gran Bahia will no longer be part of the Occidental group.
The new company has planned extensive renovation and building works for 2006, but it should be back on the market for December 2006.

I have no further information so far about the new company, but it seems, they will go for a 5-6* resort in the future.

The Gran Bahia group of resorts is owned by Grupo Pinero and is building two new resorts in Samana under the names Gran B.P. Cayaco and the second under the name Gran B.P. Cayo Levantado GL. Both of these resorts will be five stars. Whether one of the above mentioned resorts is the old Gran Bahia I really don’t know but would think one of them is. There is suppose to be a new airport for that area by 2007 but as usual there has been many delays so I wouldn’t count on that date.