Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Internet now up to speed?

Just saw two articles this morning reporting that international sources say the underwater internet cable from Venezuela appears to now be operational.
http://news.yahoo.com/telefonica-no-involvement-cuba-cable-170631012.html

When I was in Cayo Coco last week the internet was only available for a few of the days but when I finally got on the speed was vastly improved over anything I had previously in Cuba. I didn’t even need to switch to gmail lite, as everything popped up quite fast and sending an email was almost instant.

I can remember lots of times sitting there for 3 min. not sure if my 2 line email was really sent or not. Things are indeed looking up. ;D

In Holguin over Christmas and my friend’s work emergency required sending email from Cuba (we were delayed an extra day so had no choice) and through Gmail we sent the attachment, and heard back within three minutes that they had received it. What a relief!

[quote=@dax]Just saw two articles this morning reporting that international sources say the underwater internet cable from Venezuela appears to now be operational.
http://news.yahoo.com/telefonica-no-involvement-cuba-cable-170631012.html

When I was in Cayo Coco last week the internet was only available for a few of the days but when I finally got on the speed was vastly improved over anything I had previously in Cuba. I didn’t even need to switch to gmail lite, as everything popped up quite fast and sending an email was almost instant.

I can remember lots of times sitting there for 3 min. not sure if my 2 line email was really sent or not. Things are indeed looking up. ;D[/quote]Interesting… I just tried pinging and tracerouting a few Cuban sites. They all take a long and bizarre route from here (Toronto) into the US, and then back to a satellite station near Montreal (Laurentides) run by Tata Communications (the former Teleglobe Canada). And beyond that hop everything is still appallingly slow. The only really fast site is cubana.co.cu, and that’s not actually in Cuba.

But as the reports say, they are probably slowly enabling things, and it makes sense that routing from the outside world might not be widely established yet, while routing out from Cuba could be. If anyone wants to try and report back from various ISPs in Canada or elsewhere, just enter tracert www.insmet.cu (that’s for Windows - traceroute has different spellings on other systems), and see what route it takes, and how long the hops take. If you’re going by satellite you’ll see a sudden jump at one of the hops, say from 30 ms to over 500.