Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Is the Dom Rep out of favour with tourists?

In the UK prices for AI holidays to the Dom Rep are at an all time low, seriously there is a website that is listing a 3 suns AI to Puerto Plata region for 7 nights for £98 leaving on 16th May. Im not sure if Im allowed to post the URL but if you use Google search for latedeals.com and youll find what im talking about. Named Hotels like the Riu Mambo are half what I paid 4 years ago, its not just the Dom Rep as Cuba is also very cheap. I`ve heard a few reports of malaria scares and legionnaires disease (sirenis cocotal in punta cana) recently but its very difficult to confirm theres been a problem so it could just be an unhappy tourist having a moan.

If any travel agents have any info good or bad please post it on this thread.

:stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

We go to Iberostar Costa Dorada on 19 June from Manchester. This trip was booked in August 2005. We are paying £830 which we thought was an excellent price.

However, I have just searched the site you suggested and found our hotel on 20 June from Manchester, phone price £784. One thing which does occur to me though. When you ring are they going to start adding “extras” like meals on the flight, transfers, booking fees etc. I know I’m being cynical but you cannot check out the price fully on the web.

I have heard that bookings are down for June because of the World Cup. It is a bonus to me that I shall be out of the country. ;D

Patricia

We stayed at The Iberostar Costa Dorada about 3 years ago in September. We had a great holiday here and paid a very similar price. Mother Nature had a big earthquake south of here just before we left and we did have a few quakes and aftershocks whilst we were there. Five Stars when we were there, Im a bit of a light sleeper and we did change rooms as our Hotel room was on the 2nd Floor right on the end nearest the Late Breakfast / Lunchtime Beach Restaurant and the refrigerator compressors were on the roof making a racket all night. It took a day for them to find us a room as they were full which I think is reasonable, apart from that one niggle the place was fine and the food wonderful. I dont think you will find Iberostar Hotels discounted as their reputation is excellent unlike the Riu chain who have had a lot of bad luck recently. A local tour rep told us that in Puerto Plata this was the Number 1 hotel. You will like this place, the beach is okay but not as nice as Punta Cana.

I’m guessing, but I think another reason for prices falling is the strength of the pound/weakness of the dollar making travel a better deal for us Brits. Last year, the Dominican Republic was the fastest growing destination for British holiday makers.

The World Cup probably has had an impact but I don’t think there’s a major problem.

£98 you say… hmm!

Hi I am a Travel Agent and havent seen any prices quite as low as £98.00. I have seen loads of prices around the £469 mark for a week and slightly more for 2 weeks. DR is definatley not a popular as it was a few years back, but the UK operators have so much bed capacity there, so you can always get a good deal. I havent been yet myself(going in oct) but going on my customers experience I would not consider booking anything below a 4 star. ;D

Okay, I probably sound like a broken record now, BUT the prices here have not gone down at all, in fact it looks like the opposite. Last year we paid a little over $700 in November and now I am looking at over $1000 and that is only for one week We are hoping that they drop a little by the time we go in July.

The £98 holiday is no longer listed but here are some ones that are, the Bahia maimon is listedas the Riu Mambo which is a 4 star, there may well be add ons but even so its very cheap at the moment.

Cuba Varadero
16/05/2006, 7 nights, AI, 3* from LGW £199
Jamaica Ocho Rios
18/05/2006, 14 nights, AI, 4* from MAN £595
Cuba Varadero
22/05/2006, 14 nights, AI, 3* from MAN £399
Dominican Republic Sosua
26/05/2006, 14 nights, AI, 3* from DSA £285
Dominican Republic Sosua
26/05/2006, 14 nights, AI, 3* from DSA £285
Dominican Republic Sosua
31/05/2006, 7 nights, AI, 3* from CWL £199
Dominican Republic Bahia Maimon
31/05/2006, 7 nights, AI, 4* from CWL £269
Dominican Republic Sosua
31/05/2006, 7 nights, AI, 3* from CWL £199
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 7 nights, AI, 2* from MAN £199
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 7 nights, AI, 3* from MAN £229
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 14 nights, AI, 3* from MAN £349
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 14 nights, AI, 2* from MAN £299
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 14 nights, AI, 2* from MAN £299
Cuba Varadero
05/06/2006, 7 nights, AI, 2* from MAN £199
Dominican Republic Sosua
09/06/2006, 7 nights, AI, 3* from DSA £279
Dominican Republic Sosua
09/06/2006, 14 nights, AI, 3* from DSA £299

There is nothing wrong with resorts below 4* if you do your research. We have stayed at two 3 1/2* resorts and they were great. The food had plenty of variety and was good too. The biggest difference with some of them, is the hours for bar service. The 3 1/2* bars closed at midnight or so. One of the resorts was not on the beach, no big deal. We found the 3 1/2* resorts to have a very friendly atmosphere. We met some great people. Give it a try, you just might like it. Do your research first though. If there are lots of return guests, I would try that resort.

Perhaps not your side of the pond. How much was the exchange rate Can$~US$ 12 months ago and now?

£~US$ Not long ago was about £1~$1.45. Now it’s almost £1~$1.90. That makes travel cheaper for us (glad I don’t rely on an export business though!)

I can’t remember exactly, but when we exchanged our money in the DR it was equal to 1.25 US and the Cdn wasn’t much less.

But when we purchase our tickets we purchase them in Cdn funds, which is almost double from last year.

Now the Cdn.$ is @ 89 cents to the the US dollar.

I’m still checking every travel company until I find one that has a good rate