Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Jan 3 2006.. Verify Punta Cana Information Please

For Upcoming Punta Cana February 2006 trip planned, a friend returned and said this?? can Anyone help, to verify his info ?? thanks:

"January 3rd 2006

Hello:

A dear friend of mine just returned Sat Dec 31 2005 from a 2-week trip to the Hotel Flamenco in Punta Cana Dominican Republic burnt like a Pumpkin!!.

He reports that ‘Hurricane Stanely’ did quite a bit of damage there at many of the resorts and they have yet to repair the damage from last fall, they seem to be very slow at repairing the damage to the resorts.

He said many roofs had large holes and many resorts were still partially closed in the Punta Cana Region. He also stated that many palm trees are all stripped of their branches and storm surge has turned the Bavaro Beach into a rocky beach in many sections and that the weeds are up to your waist in the shallow water and which makes it difficult to swim in the water.

My friend is in the planning stage of putting together a lenghthy trip report for Debbies soon.

The hortel he was at was lousy and he was sick with 3 bouts of bad food intake. In the town of Bavaro the people rush you and grab you for donations, the situation is really bad from beggars.

Thanks"

RS
Ottawa Canada

Do you mean the Occidental Grand Flamenco? Check out the reviews on this website, for others experience. I don’t see anything much wrong with their resort based on the first few reviews I read though.

I’ve read many a review on this site as we were deciding where to go ourselves, and I did not see any reviews that mentioned such problems.

As for getting burnt - it’s the Caribbean, the sun is very strong, and at times unrelenting. Take lots of SPF30 and use it diligently!

I’ve been to the Dominican Republic three times now and I have never encountered beggars. The merchants can be quite pushy in their effort to get customers into their stalls. A firm ‘no gracias’ works for me.

My own personal thought? I wouldn’t worry about one bad report out of the hundreds of good ones I’ve read. I’d go enjoy my vacation!

Your friend is geographically challenged.

Here is STANLEY’s storm track

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/STAN_graphics.shtml

STANLEY was no where near Punta Cana but it did hit CANCUN, MX.

It’s that other Caribbean country which likes tourists.

Gregg

[quote author=ottawamarc board=general thread=1136306159 post=1136306159]For Upcoming Punta Cana February 2006 trip planned, a friend returned and said this?? can Anyone help, to verify his info ?? thanks:

"January 3rd 2006

Hello:

A dear friend of mine just returned Sat Dec 31 2005 from a 2-week trip to the Hotel Flamenco in Punta Cana Dominican Republic burnt like a Pumpkin!!.

He reports that ‘Hurricane Stanely’ did quite a bit of damage there at many of the resorts and they have yet to repair the damage from last fall, they seem to be very slow at repairing the damage to the resorts.

He said many roofs had large holes and many resorts were still partially closed in the Punta Cana Region. He also stated that many palm trees are all stripped of their branches and storm surge has turned the Bavaro Beach into a rocky beach in many sections and that the weeds are up to your waist in the shallow water and which makes it difficult to swim in the water.

My friend is in the planning stage of putting together a lenghthy trip report for Debbies soon.

The hortel he was at was lousy and he was sick with 3 bouts of bad food intake. In the town of Bavaro the people rush you and grab you for donations, the situation is really bad from beggars.

Thanks"

RS
Ottawa Canada
[/quote]

I suspect the “dear friend” is sowing bogus information because of the following.

There was no hit by Hurricane “Stanely” in the D.R. There was a Hurricane Stan that affected the Yucatan in Mexico in October of 2005.

The roofs with large holes are most likely resorts with cana that is replaced periodically, and maybe new buildings under construction.

The palms stripped of their branches are plams that have been pruned by gardeners to remove coconuts, dead and dying leaves before they do it naturally and strike a bystander on the head.

Bavaro Beach is not rocky, as most of it is part of an inner lagoon protected by an outer reef, the resulting effect retains the sand along the beach. One has to go southeast to Cabeza de Toro or Cabo Engano to encounter rocks.

If there are weeds up to your waist in the shallow water it is news. The water current in Bavaro runs along the beach from the southeast to the northwest making it difficult for weeds to anchor in the sandy bottom. Weeds are more evident in deeper waters. Also, foot traffic from the bathers entering the water would disrupt/prevent the weeds from growing in shallow water. The weeds that are evident are the ones deposited along the beaches at the high water mark, collected, and removed daily by the resort staff to make one’s visit pleasant.

If the hotel he is at is lousy, he should complain to them, and proceed to resolve the matter.

If your friend had three bouts of bad food intake, one bout would have been enough to put him down for quite a few days. After that, one would expect he would monitor his food quality to prevent bouts nos. two and three.

I have not seen the beggers, as described above. The local police (Politur) frown upon these people and have kept the tourist zone relatively clear of the activity. This one, PJT, has seen very little of it. However, an astute visitor knows that waving his hand side to side with the pointer finger/index finger extended towards the persons feet he suspects is looking for a handout is a warning to stay clear - a go away that is obeyed.

The reasons above are why this one thinks there are some holes in your friend’s report

Regards,
PJT

Probably the only weeds he saw in PC were the ones he must have been smoking. ;D

Sounds similar to a review I read on “another” forum about the Majestic Colonial…neither of those people, your friend, or the Majestic reviewer could have anywhere near Punta Cana, maybe they are the same person.

EDinNB

I think my friend was mistaken, i checked the web and tropical storm alpha was the closet storm to the hit the area last fall. he also mentioned I should check out 2 new hotels “OCEAN BLUE” and the PARADESSIO or something with the same name. Any suggestions about these two hotels, thoughts??

Thanks

PS Maybe he was ‘smoking’ some tall weed hehehehe!!

Can’t comment on the resort but we were in Punta Cana from Dec 24 through the 31st and saw nothing that even remotely resembled a hurricane. Other than one day with a few drops (and a lovely rainbow), there was nothing but sun. No weeds or rocks and crystal clear blue water. Also no real begging but the vendors do try to get you to shop in their stores.

I am going to put it even more bluntly, your friend is 3 bricks shy of a load must be smoking smarting other than tobac and needs an enema to relieve him of being totally full of s**t.

I don’t usually Get this way but now I am totally ticked off at garbagfe like this being posted…

I will be watching for other crap also #j8m78m#

thread closed!