Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Jibacoa Renewal

360VOX, the owner of visitcuba.com is redeveloping in Havana, Cayo Coco and planning a big deal in Jibacoa. :sunglasses:
“The Village at Jibacoa” Golf and Marina Residences proposed in 2010 and recently Green-Lighted, will be directly to the west of the 2 existing resorts and will surround Playa cerca de Santa Cruz del Norte.
Lots of details here:
http://www.360vox.com/jibacoa.html

I will believe it when I see it, like most schemes in Cuba. With the current changes, who knows? But items like this have been floating around for a long time with lots of plans and nothing to show for them. :smiley:

[quote=@spunky]360VOX, the owner of visitcuba.com is redeveloping in Havana, Cayo Coco and planning a big deal in Jibacoa. :sunglasses:
[/quote]

Geez, they’ve been talking about this for at least the last 12 years and nothing has happened so I’m not holding my breath.

Back in Dec. 2001, I also recall one of the managers showing us the blueprints for a planned expansion to Breezes Jibacoa and that hasn’t come to fruition either.

I’ll believe it when they put the shovels in the ground!

If it should happen… there goes the solitude of the area ! That’s why we go there; to get away from it all. Guaranteed - if it does start it won’t end there. More Resorts will find “a spot” to build !!

Yep, this has been popping up over the years and to date, thankfully, has been nothing more than pie in the sky - and I hope it stays that way!

Same outfit that restarted efforts to build on Cayo Largo, just west of the Sols.

I just compared the proposed site of this “project” with a 'Google map of the same area; unless I’m looking at it wrong, it looks like all the existing homes (village) will be lost to the project ???
We always go this way to get to the main highway, when going to Havana, and it’s a lovely area that would be a shame to loose to developers >:(

Lets hope “Golf” doesn’t remain the Magic Word in Cuba.

When I was in Cuba two years ago, I met a Canadian and Cuban couple and she (the Cuban Canadian) said the plans were in the works for 12 golf courses throughout Cuba. I kind of smiled inside, but it was a smile of thinking she was gullible. I love golf, but I go to Cuba to get brownie points for the rest of my passions, so golf is probably out of the question anyway

golf = money = golf courses in Cuba eventually

key word
eventually

This may be… OK IS totally selfish on my part but I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ‘usual’ pace of change in Cuba holds true for this project so that this golf resort is far, far in the future and / or nothing but a set of fancy plans. Hopefully we won’t be back looking for a quiet corner for many years to come. We like Jibacoa as it is just fine…:slight_smile:

Jenn

more golf resorts makes sense. if your golfing all day, your not drinking or eating. and if your going to golf the next day your going to go to bed early and not stay up till 4 in the morning drinking. so they are probably trying to capture a new market of people, a market that is less expensive for them.

[quote=@honda]more golf resorts makes sense. if your golfing all day, your not drinking or eating. and if your going to golf the next day your going to go to bed early and not stay up till 4 in the morning drinking. so they are probably trying to capture a new market of people, a market that is less expensive for them.
[/quote]

??? ??? ???
Booze is not expensive in other countries… it’s the taxes on top of the booze…only in Canada eh!

[quote=@ald1][quote=@honda]more golf resorts makes sense. if your golfing all day, your not drinking or eating. and if your going to golf the next day your going to go to bed early and not stay up till 4 in the morning drinking. so they are probably trying to capture a new market of people, a market that is less expensive for them.
[/quote]

??? ??? ???
Booze is not expensive in other countries… it’s the taxes on top of the booze…only in Canada eh!

[/quote]

Actually Canada doesn’t even make the top 10 http://www.pintprice.com

Maybe Canada doesn’t make the beer list but it sure makes the alcohol list for most expensive…#7, per this site I found. Oddly enough, there are some countries on the list I’ve never heard of and Cuba isn’t listed ???
At this point in time, I don’t think golf resorts would be a big attraction/money maker, in Cuba, since they can’t attract the American tourist dollar.

http://www.mytravelcost.com/alcohol-prices/

I agree with Steffej. Until Cuba is wide open to US citizens the golf scene will not take off.
While awaiting my plane at the Varadero airport last month I over heard a gentleman complain about his golf trip. Apparently the driving range had no ball.

Has anyone come across a “mini - golf” set up in Cuba?
I would like to move to Cuba and become at a caddy Miniature Golf Course. ;D

[quote=@vagabond][quote=@ald1]

??? ??? ???

[/quote]

Actually Canada doesn’t even make the top 10 http://www.pintprice.com

[/quote]

In the America’s, we would defn have some of the most expensive beer, alcohol and cigs!. Thanks to ridiculous taxes we pay here.

Our standard of living here is so much higher, which would make one think that these could be produced at a much cheaper cost. But taxes kill…

But about the golf, I think it’s a long ways away if ever, before it becomes a reason to go to Cuba to vacation.

[quote=@steffiej]Maybe Canada doesn’t make the beer list but it sure makes the alcohol list for most expensive…#7, per this site I found. Oddly enough, there are some countries on the list I’ve never heard of and Cuba isn’t listed ???
At this point in time, I don’t think golf resorts would be a big attraction/money maker, in Cuba, since they can’t attract the American tourist dollar.

http://www.mytravelcost.com/alcohol-prices/[/quote]

Hmmm not sure I would put much stock in a site that lists prices for a country where the sale of alcohol is forbidden http://www.bruneipress.com.bn/brunei/brunei.html

Wouldn’t put it past the high priced legal tours from the US to Cuba to find a loophole to offer golf trips once golf courses are built.

Vagabond, I rarely put much stock in sites stumbled upon on the internet or in the inability to purchase something that is illegal or forbidden in any given country. There are always people out there willing to break laws and others willing to pay the price. :stuck_out_tongue:
As for the golfing - don’t see Cuba as a golf destination any time in the near future nor golf courses popping up across the country.
One thing is for sure, when we return, in Feb., I’m going to take a close look at the area shown in the link for this “proposed” resort-golf complex.