Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Just back from brisas del caribe

just got back on the Feb 12th…time of our lives!!!

There is a Santa Claus! ;D

I have read so many bad reviews of the resort since I booked, I was starting to get worried. :-/ Mostly on the other site TA. I am not picky, probably would be happy at any resort in Cuba, but was really starting to wonder, are all these people that picky, or is the OBDC a dump? ???

Please give us a review, or a shortened version here. I have 15 more sleeps! :sunglasses:

::)OOOPS, I think I did see your review, Are you Tina from Ont?

Glad to hear! We too went in early January and started to have reservations with our booking after reading some horrendous reviews but it all turned out swell.

Would you go back?

we would for surely go back again…we are planning for next year at the same resort!! we have no complaints what so ever!! and yes i am Tina from Ontario…our rooms were always clean did not stink at all like i have seen in some reviews…before we left i was really nervous too cause of all the bad reviews however we have no complaints…I wish i was going back in 15 more sleeps!! we stayed in the newer section bit more of a walk but who cares a little walk isnt gonna kill anyone and you have your own bar in the new section plus you can eat there…have a great trip Dargamel!!

Ha! Finally, a resort I can comment on…

I was at the Club Amigo last year, seeing some friends and I decided to walk down the beach towards Varadero until I got bored, then I’d hike up to the highway and catch a ride into town.

I was getting thirsty/hot/tired so I slipped into the beach bar and grill at the Brisas del Cribe and ended up spending a very enjoyable afternoon chatting with the bartenders and a few of the guests. The bartender knew I wasn’t a guest but I slipped him a couple of CUC and had a grand time.

Eventually one of the guys walked me up through the resort and I grabbed a taxi back into town.

After I got back I read some of the reviews and couldn’t believe the love/hate people have for this place. The reviews are incredibly contradictory.

All I know is the beach staff was great, the pork chops were fabulous, and the beer was cold…

I stayed there last April - had a great time. Our room was great (in the new section) but admittedly there were some REALLY BAD rooms in the older section, esp in the lower floors.

They had the most beautiful grounds I have yet to encounter.

S.

We stayed at Brisas del Caribe on our first trip South. The first room we had was in the hotel section on the ground floor. Smelled like mold. The next morning bright and early I was at reception requesting a room change. They moved us to the 3rd floor. Not a smell in the room. I think if you are lucky enough to get one of the better rooms then you would be quite happy. I know that you don’t spend a lot of time in your room, but you do sleep there and if you are like me and breath while you are sleeping, sleeping in a moldy room is not a good thing. The first morning I woke with a major headache. Brisas is starting to show it’s age. I think if they get busy and fix the problems they have in some of those rooms then they will have a wonderful resort again.

Forum friends of mine were there at the end of Jan/1st of Feb and there were problems with all three rooms. No toilet seat for a whole week (numerous requests fell on deaf ears). I think if you leave a damp t-shirt out to dry at night and wake up with it full of black mold the next day there are problems.

We really loved Brisas and I hope they do the fixes that are needed.

Thanks for all the encouraging news. ;D As I said, I probably would be happy in a hut, :wink: but I did book for three other people. They are all easy going, friendly people also, so I am sure they will love it.

I did book the south rooms as I like a fridge in the room, so I can have cold water to drink.

There are several people on TA that are worried, some have even changed resorts. :o but in my experience, as soon as I book a resort the reviews take a nose dive! :’( I am sure that they have some valid points to make, but some are just too negative to be believed. ::slight_smile: I think that maybe Cuba is not for everyone, and they should do as a friend of mine is, paying over $5500.00 to go for 1 week to a 5 star in Jamaica. :o that is for 2 people, the last week of April!

Does anyone know where the best place to get an early morning coffee at Oasis? I am an early riser and like to have a few coffees to start my day. Also is there any lobster served on the resort either at the buffet or a la carte? Also was thinking of bringing a whisk for the omelets person. Did anyone notice what they were using to stir the eggs with?

14 more sleeps, starting to pack, getting excited! ;D

[quote=@dargamel] Thanks for all the encouraging news. ;D As I said, I probably would be happy in a hut, :wink: but I did book for three other people. They are all easy going, friendly people also, so I am sure they will love it.

I did book the south rooms as I like a fridge in the room, so I can have cold water to drink.

There are several people on TA that are worried, some have even changed resorts. :o but in my experience, as soon as I book a resort the reviews take a nose dive! :’( I am sure that they have some valid points to make, but some are just too negative to be believed. ::slight_smile: I think that maybe Cuba is not for everyone, and they should do as a friend of mine is, paying over $5500.00 to go for 1 week to a 5 star in Jamaica. :o that is for 2 people, the last week of April!

Does anyone know where the best place to get an early morning coffee at Oasis? I am an early riser and like to have a few coffees to start my day. Also is there any lobster served on the resort either at the buffet or a la carte? Also was thinking of bringing a whisk for the omelets person. Did anyone notice what they were using to stir the eggs with?

14 more sleeps, starting to pack, getting excited! ;D
[/quote]
Wish I was going again in 14 sleeps.
Early morning coffee for me was to be had in the main lobby at the coffee bar. When you come in through the front door of the lobby, it is just to your right. The coffee was delicious. Especially if a splash of Cuban coffee liquor was added. :wink: Not sure if you can get coffee in the early a.m. in the south section restaurant
Again,not sure about lobster for the al a carte. There were dishes in the buffet that did contain lobster. We did 2, al a carte dinners with one being Italian and the other Cuban. The Cuban meal was excellent and service great. Wasn’t to keen on the Italian meal. Something about the pasta itself didn’t seem right to me.

I did happen to notice the omelet guy using a spoon one day. I only had the omelette’s once as I am not a omelet person. A whisk would probably be an excellent gift.

The place is somewhat weathered but definitely livable. We were in the North section on the 4th floor. No mold smell in our room. We also had a fridge though not stocked. Had to purchase bottles of water. The grounds are kept up beautifully and the beach is fantastic.
I am fairly sure you will enjoy yourselves.
:slight_smile:

:smiley: I am sure I will too. No moldy smell is going to ruin my vacation! I truly believe that vacation is what you make of it. It’s starting to snow storm here right now, I can be assured that this will not happen in Cuba! :wink:

We just got back from a week at Brisas del Caribe (Feb 9-16). I plan to write the review this weekend. Just wanted to say that it was not as bad as some of the reviews on here and TA made it out to be. I was very nervous, and none of the terrible things I’d read actually happened.

It was our first time at a resort and first time in the Caribbean, so maybe we are too naive to know any better, but we thought it was fine. Our room was in the south section - spotless every day, toilet seat and lots of tp, hot water all the time, fridge in the room.

Our biggest disappointment was the lack of activities for kids. If I’d known that the kids club was basically non-existent I would have paid a little more to go elsewhere.

We knew the food wouldn’t be great and it was nothing to write home about, but we certainly were never hungry.

The cigarette smoke was very annoying…but I guess some would say that kids are very annoying, so I’ll just practice a little tolerance on that one. :wink:

Enjoy! Wish I was going back tomorrow.

Thanks, good to know I won’t have to go far for my morning fix.

that is right dargamel we stayed on the south side room 654 and we always got our coffee and tea at the bar area right there and they were so friendly…as for the omelettes they stirred them with a fork i do believe he has like 10 soups bowls there cracks the egg and puts it in the bowl with one hand and stirs with a fork…as for the lobster they had a lobster soup (minus lobster) on the seafood a la carte…but if ya go into varadero on the double decker bus which cost $5 for the whole day you can get lobster at one of the restaurants…

I agree with you Islandgirl that is our only complaint was the smoke as we do not smoke but not much they could do about it and we found the main buidling was the worse ecspecially around suppertime and there after

Sounds good. I don’t really need to have lobster, being from Atlantic Canada nothing can compare to what we can get at home,lol :wink:
I can hardly wait to get there, 12 more sleeps!
One more question, can you get a massage at this resort? :slight_smile:

We stayed there last year, loved it. I wrote a review, too. You’re right islandgirl73, the kids club was a joke.

You got that right!!! Nothing, Nowhere beats a Canadian East Coast Lobster… btw, What night did you say I was invited for dinner??? :smiley:

How about March 7th, it’s a Saturday night, oops sorry, I’ll be in Cuba! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lobster has been unbelievably cheap this winter, sometimes $5.00 lb.
I live sort of in between Shediac which is the lobster capitol of the world, and Fundy Park which in my opinion has the best lobster, nothing beats Bay of Fundy Lobster! ;D

dargmel…yes you can get a massage there…cant remember the price