Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Just back from Cayo Largo

Just back and will be glad to help with any questions. Was all over the island and up to the east beaches too.

[b]Welcome Back! Hope you had a great time? Were you there for 2 weeks???

There’s been a lot of chatter online about how the problems in Venezuela are somehow affecting Cuba in various ways ~ has there been shortages of food on Cayo Largo? Or has the quality suffered?

Love the Eastern Beaches… were the lone line of palapas still out there in the middle of nowhere???[/b]

:wink:

Welcome back, Spunky. Tell us all about your trip when you have time.

Two weeks.
The food is the same good stuff as always. Every other day something is new and something else is missing. This time fresh oranges, pineapple, guava and papaya all over the island. French fries everywhere in all sizes from the shaved chips at the Marina to regular and large fries at the resorts.
Bacon, 8/14 days. Fries and pizza, 14/14 days.
Breakfast omelettes as usual. Lunch with burgers, grilled chicken, pork, sausages and salads. Dinner with soup, turkey, chicken, lamb, pork, fish, pasta and pizza stations, loads of side dishes, desserts and ice cream. Flambe bar if you like.
Not much Flan or Calamari this year. Replaced by rolled “log” style cakes, bass and red snapper.
The lobster was huge and very good.
Buffet choices at SolCL and Playa Blanca were very similar. Sol had Lasagna on the night PB had roast turkey.
There were a couple of huts on the way to the east beaches but the main one starting from the point past the communication tower and extending 2 Km to beyond the old dump was completely deserted, without another soul as far as the eye could see. That’s our CL.

Welcome back Spunky. Glad that you had great time in Cayo Largo and lots of fun. How was weather? Any winds? If you get a chance please leave review http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/contact_us/your_review.php

how was the beach and jejene bugs?

[quote=@spunky]Two weeks.
The food is the same good stuff as always. Every other day something is new and something else is missing. This time fresh oranges, pineapple, guava and papaya all over the island. French fries everywhere in all sizes from the shaved chips at the Marina to regular and large fries at the resorts.
Bacon, 8/14 days. Fries and pizza, 14/14 days.
Breakfast omelettes as usual. Lunch with burgers, grilled chicken, pork, sausages and salads. Dinner with soup, turkey, chicken, lamb, pork, fish, pasta and pizza stations, loads of side dishes, desserts and ice cream. Flambe bar if you like.
Not much Flan or Calamari this year. Replaced by rolled “log” style cakes, bass and red snapper.
The lobster was huge and very good.
Buffet choices at SolCL and Playa Blanca were very similar. Sol had Lasagna on the night PB had roast turkey.
There were a couple of huts on the way to the east beaches but the main one starting from the point past the communication tower and extending 2 Km to beyond the old dump was completely deserted, without another soul as far as the eye could see. That’s our CL.[/quote]Curious… how you knew the buffet choices were similar? Did you enjoy a meal at the SolCL?
If so, was the Italian Chef, Gaspar, still there?
We met him last summer… a really nice man  ::slight_smile:

While we didn’t meet the chef at Sol this year we have had meals at most of the resorts either as part of a “working” tour or as guests. The food presentation at the SolCL evening buffet was very professional. Band, staff and service were great. The beach there was big and the craft shop “Casa Cubana” had lots of goodies not available elsewhere on the island. We always make a point to stop by and see what’s new or unusual.
At PB we had no bug bites and no fogging was done. Too windy for either, I think.
Beaches were great all over the island. Paraiso was completely different than previous years. Still absolutely beautiful but all sand spits and lagoon now. There were several days where the intertidal beach was wide, flat and very easy to walk long distances.

[quote=@spunky]While we didn’t meet the chef at Sol this year we have had meals at most of the resorts either as part of a “working” tour or as guests. The food presentation at the SolCL evening buffet was very professional. Band, staff and service were great. The beach there was big and the craft shop “Casa Cubana” had lots of goodies not available elsewhere on the island. We always make a point to stop by and see what’s new or unusual.
At PB we had no bug bites and no fogging was done. Too windy for either, I think.
Beaches were great all over the island. Paraiso was completely different than previous years. Still absolutely beautiful but all sand spits and lagoon now. There were several days where the intertidal beach was wide, flat and very easy to walk long distances.[/quote]
Wow, nice, Spunky!!! Sounds like you had a fantastic time! :slight_smile:
Do you have any photos to share of Paraiso ~ so we can see what you mean by the description of sand spits & lagoons?
::slight_smile:

Edit…
Nevermind! Found you on Paraiso here:

:smiley:

That’s me!! In my dreams, eh?
Here is Paraiso showing the shallow end of the lagoon in the foreground and the sand spit in the background:

[quote=@gardengal]

Edit…
Nevermind! Found you on Paraiso here:

:smiley:[/quote]

Nice running :slight_smile:

Nice… I see Spunky has been working out :slight_smile:

I was about to say the same thang! Where’s that thong, dude! :smiley:
Okay so you say sandspit and I say sand dune, you say tomatter… :wink:

Welcome back Zen. Dunespit?
Let’s keep the thong thing to ourselves, LOL

Your secret is el-safo with moi… and a couple of gazillion “friends” on FB (not)

Vitamin D gives energy! Did you guys play any volleyball in the swimming pool or just running for exercise :slight_smile:

The beach and the waves were just too good to spend time in a swimming pool… But that gives me a good idea for next year. I might take a portable volleyball net and set it up on the beach.

Usually resorts in Cuba have volleyball net on the beach not sure why Playa Blanca doesn’t have. Maybe reason is that they have on swimming pool volleyball net so they did not want to put it far from the hotel on the beach.

Some years they had the net up on the beach. I guess because of the high wind they didn’t have it up. The beach took quite the beating the first couple of days before the wind subsided.

[quote=@blixem]Nice… I see Spunky has been working out  :)[/quote]Yes he has! :smiley:
Apparently working out with fossilized “alligators”…