Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Light Weight Tip Items For Cuba

The charter airlines from Canada have very low luggage limits and som weigh your carry on. This is my list of light weight take in items for tips.
 1. Ladies - Under wear and earrings.
 2. Men - Ball caps and fishing hooks / line.
 3. Children - Nylon / rayon clothes.

[quote=@cubakingone]The charter airlines from Canada have very low luggage limits and som weigh your carry on. This is my list of light weight take in items for tips.
 1. Ladies - Under wear and earrings.
 2. Men - Ball caps and fishing hooks / line.
 3. Children - Nylon / rayon clothes.
[/quote]

Your item #3 has me concerned. Nylon/rayon are lighter weight but not very breathable in tropical climates. Think sweat factor!

When taking clothing, I always make sure it’s 100% cotton or linen rather than a synthetic.

Same here we always buy cotton clothing for Cuba instead of synthetic / polyester clothing.

I’ve always used natural fiber clothing in Canada but from living and working in high humidity areas of the tropics for several decades I have to agree with Gordon that modern synthetic work or sports wear are better than cotton or other natural fiber clothes in high heat high humidity countries such as Cuba during the summer. Cotton, linen and wool still have application in dry seasons and climates.

Heres an interesting article about the synthetic UnderArmor brand sports clothing;

Anyone who shops at SportChek or similar sporting goods stores will have difficulty finding natural fiber clothing.

Other good light weight gift / tip item
For older ladies - head scarfs
Sun glasses - tie pins - flag decal sheets - comb sets - tooth brushes

I bring cannisters of pringles…nice treat and light weight. but also bring costume jewellry (things I would wear), children’s clothes. I only bring that for people I have gotten to know over my years of visting.

I do the opposite. I bring clothes for three teenage girls and always bring warmer type clothes - hoodies etc. As they live in Matanzas there are some chilly days and nights so the fleece items are a welcome.

Canada flag pins !!!

You are right they do need sometimes warmer clothes specially in January as temperature can be 16c or lower and they did not get used to such low temperatures and they need some warmer clothes.

[quote=@cubakingone]Canada flag pins !!![/quote]Not just the pins…bring the flag for your balcony!

Not so light, but flannelette sheets…

Decent toilet paper.

Ken
You are soooo right , I have a supply of about 12 rolls at the casa I can’t stay at yet ! I increase the volume with each trip. lol
Lenny

For Me, it’s Item #1 that has me concerned… Can you imagine handing out underwear at the bar??? LOL

Eric:

You know Gordon. He’ll hand out all sorts, he doesn’t care.

Rainbow (wonder what happened to him?) was legendary for bringing bras to Cuba. I can still picture some of the photos he posted! CubaJack will probably find the pics in the archives :slight_smile:

So, if it was ok for rainbow, why not Gordon? No one said anything about handing out underwear in the bars btw.

Condoms are a whole different matter- also very light weight- and an appreciated item probably suitable for handing out in bars.

“Condoms are a whole different matter” and now in short supply according to my friends this week…

Condoms seem to ALWAYS be in short supply in Cuba! I know there’s a good reason for that and it doesn’t have anything to do with the hair braiders using condoms as elastic bands. (rofl)

Reminds me of a joke about condoms told by one of the Jibacoa animation staff at the evening show in 2001. In those days the resort was still true adults only and since this is a family friendly forum, I’ll let you insert your own condom joke ideas since I can’t post it.

Bring some and you might well become an unsung hero.

[quote=@yvrck]Reminds me of a joke about condoms told by one of the Jibacoa animation staff at the evening show in 2001. In those days the resort was still true adults only and since this is a family friendly forum, I’ll let you insert your own condom joke ideas since I can’t post it.[/quote]I guess it’s the very uh, point, of condoms to not be family friendly… :slight_smile: But the trick, as with so much of kids programming on TV these days, is to make your joke in a subtle way so that it goes harmlessly over the heads of the kids, but the adults get it. Probably most of us remember the “this gum tastes terrible” one from high school days, but kids would at worst be slightly puzzled.

A true story - I went into a adult store ion P.A. - the ownwer said I’m broke. I said " how much for all your fancy lasdies under panties? He said " $ 1.50 each - no tax " On my next trip everyone in the resort called me " The undie man "