Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Lighters and Matches

So for all of you smokers that travel to the DR and other places, whats the deal with lightin’ up once you get to your destination. I’m not clear on what the exact rules are. Are they selling lighters at the airport terminals?
Someone enLIGHTen me ;D ;D ;D

Kevin :sunglasses:

Hi Kevan,
I lit up in the Punta Cana Airport…while waiting to collect my luggage…
then I chain smoked in the Punta Cana Airport while waiting for my flight home…
I had no issues what so ever with lighters…
although I was coming from, and returning to Canada…
maybe the States have different rules…

Lighters are a big no-no (carryon or checked) when flying out of the US, but still OK for Canada. No matches may be in checked luggage, but four books of safety matches are allowed on your person.
Man, they keep changing the regulations. ::slight_smile: It appears that nail files and corkscrews are now OK when flying from the US, but not from Canada.
See:
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_9_6_2005.pdf

There have been reports that this link isn’t working. I retried it on my machine and another one and it worked OK. It may be necessary to cut and paste the address, or just start at www.tsa.gov and search through for it.
bfc

::slight_smile:
they really are not making it easy for us (cigar) smokers to be able to light up … coming in from the US!
I hope I can find some matches or cheap lighters at the airport when we arrive, as I would like to stary my vacation with a stoggie!!

Worst case is that you might have to wait until after immigration, luggage pickup and customs. Once past there, you can get lighters/matches at the airport stores.

For those who are desparate to have their lighters and extra matches my hint is to hide them. I hide them in various feminine products that are less likely to be opened and riffled through. Both in Carry on Bag and in Checked luggage. Hey a girl’s gotta do to get what she wants!

all the best
baltobabe / mt

Better read that TSA site. You may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted if you even bring a prohibited item to the checkin. It’s pretty easy to plead ignorance if they just happen to find it in your bag; it’s a WHOLE LOT HARDER if it’s deliberately hidden! Ever hear of an X-ray? They don’t have to search your ‘frillies’!

Just hope you arrive around the same time as a UK flight, there will be loads of us just dying to light up after 9 hours on that plane. :smiley: :smiley:

Just ask, we don’t bite honest :wink:

Lynn

My wife was asked several times if she had any sharp items in her purse and she said no there wasn’t. They then “suggested” to her to empty her purse and guess what fell out a cork screw she had completely forgotten about. They just smiled at her as they grabbed it up and told her that was a no,no. We did not have to pass go or go to jail but we did feel very lucky

Point of interest…
For those of you leaving Punta Cana, if your lighter is in your pocket when you go through the xray it will be confiscated, however if it is in your carry on, or even in your basket that goes through the xray belt, then it is okay. There were a lot of annoyed people 2 weeks ago when we came home!

Can you get matches easily at resorts? Didn’t pay attention last time, but next trip I’d like to bring a mosquito coil/candle.

where are u supposed to carry your lighters

The way things are at present, if you are flying from or through the US, you don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not understanding this!!!When you fly to and from the U.S. the answer about matches and lighters is, you are allowed 4 books on your person…does this not mean we can take 4 safety books of matches carried on the person which is me??? So if I’m reading this right, you will have atleast 1 book of safety matches with you when you get to your destination, or four books of saftey matches with you…Right. Please correct me if I am reading this wrong…

According to the TSA site http://www.tsa.gov/
lighters are a big no no (checked luggage, carry on and on your person) but you are allowed four books of safety matches (not in checked luggage). Since you are presumeably traveling with a companion, then between the two of you, you should have 8 books of matches.
In reading those TSA regs again, I see some discussion about a DOT approved case to enclose two “approved” lighters (highlighted in yellow) and I’m sure that statement was not there when this thread started. Since I have no idea what an DOT approved case is, I suggest that you US types call them and ask.
The regs seem totally different between Canada and the US. According to the TSA site, corkscrews and nailfiles are OK. Last I heard, Canadian security regs ban them. I have personally discarded at least one pair of nail clippers because they broke off the nail file part. The only danger here was that you might die laughing if I threatened you with it! ::slight_smile:

We always put a couple of disposable lighters in our checked baggage and if they confiscate them - who cares. So far we have never lost any.

Me too, but we’re not flying from or through the US. ;D
I had enough problems with them the last time I flew via Miami. I just want to avoid the US connection.
It was an AA flight. AA was great. It was the customs and security people! It makes the cramped cattle car facilities that you have to endure on Skyservice look good. :o

Me too, but we’re not flying from or through the US. ;D
I had enough problems with them the last time I flew via Miami. I just want to avoid the US connection.
It was an AA flight. AA was great. It was the customs and security people! It makes the cramped cattle car facilities that you have to endure on Skyservice look good. :o
[/quote]
We did the same thing when flying through JFK in October and No problema.

To be honest, there was a security alert that day, and it was supposed to be a passenger ‘in transit’. As a result, our boarding passes were clearly marked with a red felt pen, and boy, did we get the “special” treatment.
You know, I felt kind of sorry for the gal that had to go through the contents of our luggage on the way home. One of our trips was a white water rafting excursion and we got soaked. We had no good way of drying them (our wet clothes) due to our scheduling, so we had thrown them in a plastic bag. So they had been fermenting for about 4 days. She had to open the bag. :-X :-/

Leaving Canada no one had any problems with lighters, leaving the Dominican they were ok if they were in your carry on, but if they were on your person they were confiscated.