Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Locals at resorts

I’m planning to travel to DR in January of 2009.

I’ve been reading reviews and have noticed that there are many postings that tell of locals taking over the resort on the weekends. Does this happen everywhere or only a certain part of the country?

Is it normally a problem or are they just like anyone else at the resort, just the resort is busier?

Luck of the draw. I’ve seen obnoxious locals; I’ve also seen obnoxious guests. Same for regular guests. Seen both kinds. If they’ve got the cash to pay for a room or a day pass, then they’re no different than you or I …

I have met with some wonderful locals at resort, they are also real people.

they have the cash, then they have the same rights as you.

We love spending time with the locals that take over the resorts on the weekends…

Good Times !! :sunglasses:

We’ve been know to have taken over our hometown hotels back in the day too… If foreigners were staying there at that time they had no issue with our registered stay… I hope no one would suggest that locals are not entitled to vacation in their own homeland resorts…

Peace
Lea

“Locals at the resort”? They are just more “people” at the resort. They have to pay like the rest of us to be there. One could say more “Americans?” or “Canadians ?” or "Europeans ? " at the resort. I’m sure that there is not or should not be any distinction between “groups” of people who may gather for a few days of fun. I have seen some pretty “rowdy” people from the above mentioned groups which may or may not include “locals”. It’s kind of like …“If only Americans weren’t allowed at Disneyworld !!!”.

Does that mean Canadians wouldn’t be allowed to honeymoon at Niagara Falls either? ;D

Depending which side of the falls you stayed :slight_smile:

EDinNB

My wife and 3 girls are locals and they don’t mind it when non locals are at the resorts. Actually she likes it because she can learn a bit about other cultures.

They are most welcome & rightfully so. It is refreshing to have them & we always try to get into conversation with those willing. It enables us to practise our rusty spanish & learn more about the local way. And they seem eager to learn about our culture equally as well.
A lot of times a great vacation is not just the destination but rather the people you meet. (local or other countries)

momtomy2boys: I agree with everyone here. It’s actually quite refreshing. A great many of them that can afford to vacation have children and watching them give their kids undivided attention (not to mention the love that radiates from them) is a lesson a lot of “tourists” should acknowledge. In all the years we have travelled to the DR (since 1986) we have encountered maybe one “potential” issue and they were tossed out the resort at around 3 in the morning (they were adults at an adults only resort). Never have we had to “look out” for a Dominican kid, they are very well looked after and the folks with them, sometimes as many as 20 all took it upon themselves to look after them and yes, they did partake in a few Presidentes and were having a lot of fun. On the other hand, I don’t think we have had a vacation at a family resort yet that we have not had to take care of a technically abandoned/lost child at one point or another.

Everyone that can afford to vacation should be allowed to and you will also find that a lot of them are from another coast, a lot not. I would hate to think that I couldn’t vacation anywhere here in Canada because I was considered a local.

Don’t worry, be happy, and bring on the sunshine.

Thank You Missy D

This topic sticks in my throat every time I see it mentioned…
First off, why shouldn’t locals be at the resorts? They pay to go there same as we do…and yes, they pay just as much as we do…(we have friends who are locals that go to resorts on holidays and special occasions)
Secondly, yes, they predominately speak Spanish…what did you think they spoke Dunkanese?
Lastly, part of the reason you should be going on a holiday to the DR is to get some of the local flavour, history etc…what better way than to sit down with locals and share a cold one and chat… Trust me…you will DEFINITELY learn something that way…

You should go there to enjoy the sun, the people, the beach whatever turns your crank…just remember, we are guests in their country not them…

With regards to them being loud, obnoxious… hmmm ever been to one of our bars on a friday or saturday night LOL

Sorry if it seems like ranting, but when ppl come to our cities from other places do they complain because we are there? I somehow think not…

I am sure if you spend a moment enjoying the company instead of complaining about it, you might just enjoy yourself more!

I never said (and neither has anyone else on this thread) that they shouldn’t be there. I was just asking the opinion of people who take the time to do the research on the countries they travel to (as I feel people do that frequent this type of board). I’ve read so many reviews in the last week in preparation for booking (yes, I’m a well informed traveller, not just reading reviews but information about each country I travel to) and wanted to know how you all felt about the issue.

I would love to meet some local people! I know that often on resorts you are “protected” (and I use that term loosely) from the country. I want my children to learn about other cultures, other parts of the world and other languages, so I would welcome the cultures (be it DR, European etc).

I appreciate everyone’s opinion and will now disregard what the reviews say about locals :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

[quote=@ontariobowhunter]This topic sticks in my throat every time I see it mentioned…
First off, why shouldn’t locals be at the resorts? They pay to go there same as we do…and yes, they pay just as much as we do…(we have friends who are locals that go to resorts on holidays and special occasions)
Secondly, yes, they predominately speak Spanish…what did you think they spoke Dunkanese?
Lastly, part of the reason you should be going on a holiday to the DR is to get some of the local flavour, history etc…what better way than to sit down with locals and share a cold one and chat… Trust me…you will DEFINITELY learn something that way…

You should go there to enjoy the sun, the people, the beach whatever turns your crank…just remember, we are guests in their country not them…

With regards to them being loud, obnoxious… hmmm ever been to one of our bars on a friday or saturday night LOL

Sorry if it seems like ranting, but when ppl come to our cities from other places do they complain because we are there? I somehow think not…

I am sure if you spend a moment enjoying the company instead of complaining about it, you might just enjoy yourself more!

[/quote]

Am I missing something, or did a post get removed? I can’t see anywhere that anyone said any of this negative stuff, on this thread anyway.

Tom

[quote=@mom2my2boys]

I never said (and neither has anyone else on this thread) that they shouldn’t be there. I[/quote]

You took my comments personally mom2my2boys…they werent meant that way… This thread has been going on for a LONG time…over and over again… It wasnt in anyway referring to comments that you personally made.

[quote]
Am I missing something, or did a post get removed? I can’t see anywhere that anyone said any of this negative stuff, on this thread anyway.

Tom[/quote]

Nope you didnt, as I just tried to explain to the other lady, this topic has been going on for a very long time…had nothing to do with this one thread at all…

Sorry for spouting off people… guess I should of just kept my mouth shut… Sorry if anyone took it personally or the wrong way.

I think someone needs to unplug the keyboard again & have a time out:)

k, i think everyone gets the point,