Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Looking for a med size resort in Varedero

We’re finally going back to Cuba this year ( I love cuba) after being in Mexico the last 2 years. We do like the villas (not into hotel style resorts) with a nice beach that you can swim in, clean, and don’t have to take the trams. Myself, I like snorkeling and good drinks. I travel with family members that like a nice beach, good food (a variety) activities during the day, a nice big pool later in the day and somewhere in the evening to sit and a have few drinks… We have been in the Holguin and Cayo Coco area. We are looking at the Varedero area and going into Havana for the day… Where would you recommend?

Also we will be flying out of Halifax in Feb. or early March. There will be 12 of us ages 10 to 55.

If you like snorkelling and proximity to Havana, Breezes Jibacoa might suit you. Varadero is not known for great off the beach snorkelling, but Jibacoa is. The compromise is that the beach is short, and there is seagrass, although there are sandy areas where you can easily enter to swim.

Unfortunately, Breezes Jibacoa is for guests aged 14 and up, so probably not suitable for your group. The Cameleon Villas Jibacoa is a family resort, but it’s 3 star with more limited amenities and food selection.

Jibacoa resorts are an hour closer to Havana, but the two hour trip to Havana from Varadero is certainly doable.

For Varadero, I suggest you research and consider the following:
Breezes Bella Costa
Iberostar Laguna Azul
Iberostar Tainos
Paradisus Varadero

You’ll find some pretty good snorkeling at Playa Coral either by doing an excursion or taking a taxi there on your own.

Oops, missed the ten year old. Good catch! :smiley:

Thank you for your replies. I will definitely check out the resorts you mentioned.