Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Looking for an awesome beach

So, DH and I have no choice but to travel March break. This year due to uncertainty with my job status we could not book in advance so decided to try the last minute thing.

I realize that last minute deals are rare especially March break. We either want Varadero or Santa Clara because we are huge beach people!

So…my question is…if we cannot find something we are happy with in either of these places, can anyone recommend somewhere else (not necessarily Cuba)where the beaches are just as amazing?

Cayo Guillermo ;D ;D ;D

For inspiration check out the pictures in this thread, c/o Canuks.

http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=Cuba&action=display&thread=7949

agreed :slight_smile:

'(not necessarily Cuba)where the beaches are just as amazing? "
I doubt you’ll get that information on this forum!! LOL

I know I know!! We are of course partial to Cuba…but just thought I would ask!! By the way, not at all interested in Punta Cana due to the fact that malaria is a risk there.

Cayo Coco are the best I’ve ever been on

Mayan Riviera in Mexico

Or if you want to be nearer to civilization, go to the middle area (like Barcelo Solymar) in Veradero. Walk the beach to town, maybe 2 miles. Or walk the beach away from town, maybe 2 miles plus a detour plus 2 miles and a small detour plus a couple of more miles to the end of the peninsula.
All past resorts, bus stops and taxi stands if you need to rush back (or forward).

“where the beaches are just as amazing”

for us…
Cuba= Cayo coco
DR= Punta Cana Bavaro beach

the sand is totally white in both places, however the sand in Cayo Coco beach is a lot softer (NH Crystal area)

I guess it depends on what you consider an amazing beach! Playa Esmeralda in Guardalavaca (Holguin) is absolutely amazing, in my opinion, but it’s short: you can walk from one end to the other in 20 minutes, and that’s at a leisurely pace! But it’s simply a gem of a beach.

Cayo Guillermo is lovely, but very shallow for quite a while, so if you enjoy swimming and playing in the waves, it’s might not be the best place. I also found the beach to be very narrow at high tide.

If long walks are important, Varadero, Cayo Santa Maria and Cayo Largo fit the bill.

Cayo Largo is an amazing place for anyone who loves a great beach, but it is remote and very very quiet.

More info here:

www.cayolargo.net

www.cayosantamaria.info

Sol luna y mares,Holguin

[quote=@chamusic] I realize that last minute deals are rare especially March break. We either want Varadero or Santa Clara because we are huge beach people!

So…my question is…if we cannot find something we are happy with in either of these places, can anyone recommend somewhere else (not necessarily Cuba)where the beaches are just as amazing?[/quote]It would help to say what an “amazing” beach is to you. Long for walking? Shorter but wider with shade for sitting? Deep for swimming? Shallow for wading? Hard to beat Cayo Ensenachos for a fabulous beach. Want a longer walk? Cayo Santa Maria or Cayo Largo. Pretty but short, I second Playa Esmeralda. Haven’t been to Guillermo but it looks lovely…shallow water, however. Cayo Coco is O.K. Doesn’t match Cayo Santa Maria or Cayo Largo, IMHO.

Sprat Bight Beach San Andres Island. You have three hotel options: Decameron Aquarium, Decameron Maryland or Decameron Las Delphines. Stay at one and play at them all.

Playa Megano, Playa Ensenachos both at the RHE on Cayo Ensenachos, Cuba.

Cheers