Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Lost Passport the day before go home

I start this thread because I read reviews at TA that thieves broke in the safes at a resort in Holguin. Assume I just find out the night before…
Can you board the plane?
If not do you have to buy another ticket because you miss your flight.
What do I have to do at the custom?

Please share if you had experience with this.

What would the “thief” do with your passport?

Call the closest Embassy/Consulate. They suck at just about everything except situations like this.

It’s an emergency (one of the very few) that they’re actually willing to tackle and capable of solving - maybe not with less than a days notice unless it was all during business hours - but an emergency like this is right up their alley.

Martian… Would you suggest the OP register with their Embassy / Consulate in Cuba before they travel.

I believe you would have to go to Havana for the embassy. Always carry a photocopy of your passport in a different part of your travel equipment.

that is always packed (photocopy) and for the last 10 years we also carry a USB key (memory key or whatever you want to call them ) with a scan of our passports with all our travel info bookings.

Fortunatly for us Canadians, there are several consulates in Cuba other than just one Embassy in the capital.

GUARDALAVACA;
Consulate of Canada
Address: Hotel Atlantico, Suite 1, Guardalavaca, Holguín, Cuba
Tel.: (53-24) 430-320
Fax: (53-24) 430-321
E-Mail: consulate.gvaca@gmail.com

VARADERO:
Consulate of Canada
Address: Calle 13 e/Avenida Primera y Camino del Mar, Varadero, Matanzas, Cuba
Tel.: 53 (45) 61-2078
Fax: 53 (45) 66-7395
E-Mail: consulatevdero@gmail.com

HAVANA:
Embassy of Canada
Address: Calle 30, No. 518 esquina a 7ma, Miramar, Havana, Cuba
Tel.: (53-7) 204-2516
Fax: (53-7) 204-2044
E-Mail: havan-cs@international.gc.ca
Internet: http://www.cuba.gc.ca

Thanks for the info!

I have never thought to take a photocopy with me. I will defn be doing that now before I travel anywhere.

I can’t imagine the panic that would set in, if a passport was to be lost or stolen!

We always take @ least 2 photo copies of 2 different identifications with our pictures. You can also scan and email it to yourself on an address that you can have access to while travelling. I have also heard of people if their phone camera is of good quality taking a picture of the passport and another with the owner holding the passport open.

this is the the place in Guadalavaca.

Nice!!! Is it on the beach?

[quote=@martian]Call the closest Embassy/Consulate. They suck at just about everything except situations like this.

It’s an emergency (one of the very few) that they’re actually willing to tackle and capable of solving - maybe not with less than a days notice unless it was all during business hours - but an emergency like this is right up their alley.[/quote]

Thanks for this reply, Martian. I enjoyed it as you know how I felt about the embassy staff at the Polar Bar and Grill in Havana. ::slight_smile:

But I am glad to hear that they do react efficiently and quickly to the loss of a passport. This is good news for us tourists in case that ever happens.

Everyone knows to call the Embassy . I assume you lost the passport on Sunday night and you board the plane at 6AM next morning. Can you get on the plane with photocopy of your passport? If you miss your flight do you have to buy another ticket?

You’re screwed!
I doubt you are flying anywhere.
Whether you have to pay for another ticket may very well depend upon the terms you bought your round trip.

That’s a good question. Does anyone have an answer based on substance rather than supposition.

I always have photocopies of passport and have wondered about that possible situation.

If you have a police report and a copy of your passport ask your destination rep to help. This is classified as something they SHOULD be able to assist you with . But the police report is critical.

The photo is at club Amego in Guadalavaca

…slow the bus down ."Assume I just find out the night before…"
from the op - so this has not happened. You are only asking “IF”?

I went and had a browse on the gov’t of Canada website regarding passports. Sounds like, if you lost your passport just before having to return home, you might be in for a delay. I definitely think that having a photocopy of your passport (we never leave home without a couple of copies) would help facilitate matters with the consulate. But, from reading the website, it doesn’t look like the government just reissues lost or stolen passports without an investigation. It does say to have a police report, if stolen. They take missing passports very seriously as they are a valuable commodity on the black market. It is not unknown for unscrupulous Canadians to sell their passports for a good amount of money and then claim them lost or stolen. Quite frankly, I couldn’t find a really good explanation on the website about how long it takes to get a lost or stolen passport cleared up so that you can be on your way again. If I were to hazard a guess, it would be a couple of days, at least.
I’m pretty anal about our passports: once we arrive at the resort, our passports are locked away and don’t come out until we are ready to return home. When they are on us, they are carried securely. If we go off resort, we take our photocopies. I’ve even used them when using a credit card or registering for a room.

Hola
if your on the cayos, and leave the resort, in a rental car, a photocopy means NADA to the guy at the check point…on the way out no problem, it’s on the way back, photocopy is a no go…
cheers.

If you need money from the bank your passport is needed rather than a photocopy.

Hum, I’ve used my photocopied passport to get money, in the past. Guess it depends where you go.

Hola
Photocopied passport will not work at all hotels…mcsm. Now some hotels do not need them anyway.
cheers.