Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Lots of stuff to bring

so every year I get a little paranoid about the amount of stuff I am bringing…we are taking 4 big enough suitcases (going club transat so we have the extra baggage)…we are bringing …shoes…(new for my freind’s kids)…tampons, boxes of tylenol …full suitcase of used clothing for young girls (and we are not travelling with kids)…etc…anyhow, I always worry that I will get stopped and asked questions…has this ever happened to anyone…and what do you say…

Tell them your 4 kids and your parents came down last week and you’re meeting them at the resort for another week.
Don’t worry, they probably won’t ask.

I also get a little worried when I have to clear Customs with all of the stuff that I have. I have never had a problem going through Holguin but I did get pulled aside in Havana once.

I had 3 suitcases with me and they were packed full. I had everything with me including food to bring to folks in Havana.

Rainbow came with me to the secondary inspection and OMG what a laugh we had. Thank goodness he speaks Spanish as I was at a loss.

We ended up telling the Customs officer I had a very bad stomach and therefore I had to bring my own food with me. Well, as for the clothes we said since I had a very bad stomach I had to bring extra clothes with me in case I had an accident and needed to change my clothes. :-[

The Customs Officer took a quick look in one of the suitcases and let us through. I am still not sure what else Rainbow said to the Customs guy but he sure was looking at me funny and wanted to get away from us. ???

It was quite an embarrassing situation but what the heck. My main concern was just getting everything into Cuba so we said what we had to say to get the heck out of there as fast as we could.

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

thanks Bigjohn and Freedom Ryder…don’t think I am prepared to describe “potential accidents :-)” but meeting family members is a good idea…

I have never been questioned either…but there is always a first time for everything…so it is good to be prepared…

Two years ago we were required to fill out a white card detailing anything we were bringing into the country as “gifts” (this was done on board the plane).
The woman in the seat next to me insisted this was “the norm”, however we had never done this before nor since.
Any other similar experiences?

[quote=@ontgunner]Two years ago we were required to fill out a white card detailing anything we were bringing into the country as "gifts" (this was done on board the plane).
The woman in the seat next to me insisted this was "the norm", however we had never done this before nor since.
Any other similar experiences?[/quote]

We were told to fill out the “Customs Declaration Form” (white paper), a few times when it was first given by the airlines, once in Santiago De Cuba and a few times heading into Holguin. They said everyone has to fill it out even if you are not declaring anything.

The form now says you only have to fill it out if you are declaring anything and what the value of it is.

I never fill out the forms now as I never declare anything I am bringing into Cuba as of course it is for my own personal use. :wink:

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

YES!!! I remember this card from last year…first time I ever had to fill it out…it freaked me out because we were flying with West Jet and they had a very generous baggage allowance…something like 60kg each…so we had at least 120lbs of “giveaways” with us…anyhow, I filled out the card…zero value…but no one ever asked me for it…
anyhow, I am sure it will all be ok…I just always get paranoid around this time…7 sleeps to go!!!

[quote=@dawat2]YES!!! I remember this card from last year…first time I ever had to fill it out…it freaked me out because we were flying with West Jet and they had a very generous baggage allowance…something like 60kg each…so we had at least 120lbs of "giveaways" with us…anyhow, I filled out the card…zero value…but no one ever asked me for it…
anyhow, I am sure it will all be ok…I just always get paranoid around this time…7 sleeps to go!!![/quote]

I forgot to mention that little tidbit… we filled out our cards, then when we arrived (Varadero I think it was), nobody asked us for them!