Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

LTI now Vik Arena Construction

This seems to be the theme of the day, construction and renovation that is. On another site I read a review about the highly disruptive nature of the ongoing construction. According to that reviewer, the resort is being renovated at the rate of about one building (I’m assuming he/she is referring to the buildings which house the guest rooms.) every month. To quote the review, “This resort is under construction and will be for a while. They are redoing each block per month. You cannot sit at the pool in peace, you will hear electrical equipment ALL DAY LONG. In addition to that, you cannot sleep after 730/8am, you will be woken up by powertools.”

Has anyone been there lately who might be able to shed a little more light on a how the renovations are progressing and if they’re as annoying and disruptive to a pleasant holiday as the reviewer suggests. The resort was last reviewed in July. It would be great to have an update.

Adios :sunglasses: ;D :sunglasses:

I was also wondering the same thing as the VIK was our choice again this year but construction can be an issue depending on your location, so if anyone out there knows how the site and condition of the VIK is coming along or when they expect to finish up please forward it thanks for any info.

[quote=@shadow2]This seems to be the theme of the day, construction and renovation that is. On another site I read a review about the highly disruptive nature of the ongoing construction. According to that reviewer, the resort is being renovated at the rate of about one building (I’m assuming he/she is referring to the buildings which house the guest rooms.) every month. To quote the review, “This resort is under construction and will be for a while. They are redoing each block per month. You cannot sit at the pool in peace, you will hear electrical equipment ALL DAY LONG. In addition to that, you cannot sleep after 730/8am, you will be woken up by powertools.”

Has anyone been there lately who might be able to shed a little more light on a how the renovations are progressing and if they’re as annoying and disruptive to a pleasant holiday as the reviewer suggests. The resort was last reviewed in July. It would be great to have an update.

Adios :sunglasses: ;D 8-)[/quote]

SIMPLE SOLUTION! If its noisy at the pool, go to the beach!!!

Maybe, but it seems that the pool and beach are very adjacent to each other. I guess my point is that information about construction and renovations is easily available to both the tour operators and the Travel sites, but there was no mention of it on their web sites. Knowing that there would be ongoing construction would have possibly influenced our selection but not our decision to go away. Maybe one of the moderators, Wud, pcmike, or mikefisher could provide some information.

Sorry Shadow, was just being a smart a$$…

If there is construction going on that might account for the fact that the single supplement appears to have been waived.

I tried selloffvacations for this resort for late November and early December.

No single supplement.

Aaarghh, another review on TA complaining about the construction particularly in buildings three and four. Does anybody have any more info? I’ve emailed Sunquest but have not heard back. It’s ridiculous that neither the travel sites, nor the tour operator post a caveat. I just hope it’s completed by the end of Feb. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. ??? :o :stuck_out_tongue:

We stayed at this resort and if you park yourself on the beach you should be fine. Did you get a good rate? If not maybe ask for some perks…

Hey comingforsun,

I tend to spend more time at the beach than elsewhere. However, the resort is quite small by comparison. It’s like one giant step from the pool to the beach, and all the buildings appear to be close together. What pisses me off is the lack of disclosure by the travel site and the operator. I got a reasonable rate but no major bargain. We’re a family of four going for two weeks and occupying two rooms. So the trip, by the time it is done will cost us close to ten thousand. Thus the thought of vacationing berween a front-end loader and a jack-hammer is certainly less than inviting. If I had known that the resort would be undergoing major renovations, I’d have booked elsewhere. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Thanks stillsdaughter

Building 5 it is, I hope. I think it is one of the ones we requested.

They never had late night snacks by the pool when I was there. tTey had some soup and cold meats by the bar at the night time entertainment area.

There was nothing after 6pm open in that area when I was there in November 2007…the hotel info stated there was but it was never open…

Had the chicken at lunch and it was amazing, the Edenh also does the chicken and it is right up there with the LTI’s…

I’m getting very hungry!

Hi all, am currently at the Vik and there is no swim up bar, the pool bbq is amazing, especially the chicken. Construction is on going in buildings 3/4 but not alot of noise. if you can hear it you are too sensitive. Food is good, always a beef, fish, chicken or pork on the buffet. Presidente on tap on many bars and all are open air and refreshing. Weather has been great, rain yesterday for 20 mins around 10am and then sun/blue skies rest of the day. I leave tomorrow and will answer more questions when I return.Thanks to Mike Bryant for letting me use his computer here at Steve’s bar and yes the beer is cold!!

Hey barriebrian,

Sounds like you’re having a great time. Which building renos are completed? If possible, it would be great to get a new room. Not that it matters that much because I don’t spend much time in it, but a new bed would be a luxury. What’s the gym like? I’m a bit of a cumpulsive gym rat and I like to start my day, after claiming loungers and downing a strong Dominican coffee with hot milk, with a workout followed by breakfast. Then it’s down to the beach and the beach bar for a day of sun, sea, sand, Presidente and Brugal.
Can’t wait.

Adios :sunglasses: ;D :sunglasses:

Hi all! We’re thinking of booking this resort for April (after our lay off’s/before searching for new jobs…) any new info would be helpful!!

Thanks!

The gym looked ok from the window, never went in but had alot of machines in there. They are almost done reno’s on buildings 3&4. You will NOT hear construction noise at the beach, at least I never did. If you are an early riser, yes ask for one of the finished rooms in those blocks, as you will be out of the rooms before anything starts. I have a review that is up and posted here for you to read as well.

Hey Barriebrian,

Read your review. Sounds like you had a great time. I can’t wait. We got our first big dump of the season today. Environment Canada really blew it. They called for a few centimeters and we’re well on our way to 20+. In the middle of the storm they posted a heavy snowfall warning, ha, ha, ha.