Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Maid messages

Hello regular travellers…
Anyone know a good spanish phrase that I can copy so that the maid knows that the gifts and/or $we leave her is her’s to take in appreciation for her work!!

I would say:

This is a gift for you for all your hard work. Thank you very much =

Esto es un regalo para usted para todo su trabajo duro. Muchas gracias

And leave your tip on your pillow. Money tip is greatly appreciated :smiley:

Thank you very much for the phrase. I purchased a english/spanish dictionary last year and shawn and I spent a good hour trying to put such phrase together.

Other question: does the maid replenish the minibar/fridge or is it someone else’s responsibility? I also want to make sure that if it is someone else, I also live that persn a tip/gift.

Last year at EdenH, now NH, we had a diffrent maid everyday. Should we tip everyday, incase we have someone diferent every day or I have herd other people only tip at the end of the week, as long as the same maid comes…what’s your opinion on this?

I could not really communicate with any of the staff. I had brought several lady’s gift but also stuff for children and I found it hard to try and see if the maid had children or wanted a gift for children. I ended up with so much kids stuff left over, I gave it to the doctor at the resort so she can take it to the local hospital where she also worked. As a mom, specially when times are difficut, I personally prefered to receive something that was for my kids but that’s just me. Should I consider just cash tips or continue with the gifts and also cash tips?

Also when I stayed at Edenh last year there were alot of men maids too.

I always leave cash tips only on the pillows and inside the fridge, every day. I drink diet drinks only so I leave my order on a piece of paper : 2 cervesas (for my husband), 2 coca cola lite, agua por favor.
Cash tips supplements their pay and they’re able to buy what they really need for them and their family. DR is not like Cuba where everything is hard to get. Dominicans can buy whatever they want at the market. We also tip the bartenders once a day, the gardeners, the servers, and other resort workers because they work so hard to make sure the resort is spotless so we can enjoy a fabulous vacation.

‘su duro trabajo’, not su ‘trabajo duro’

[quote=@vincentediana]I always leave cash tips only on the pillows and inside the fridge, every day. I drink diet drinks only so I leave my order on a piece of paper : 2 cervesas (for my husband), 2 coca cola lite, agua por favor.
Cash tips supplements their pay and they’re able to buy what they really need for them and their family. DR is not like Cuba where everything is hard to get. Dominicans can buy whatever they want at the market. We also tip the bartenders once a day, the gardeners, the servers, and other resort workers because they work so hard to make sure the resort is spotless so we can enjoy a fabulous vacation. [/quote]

Can you translate that into English? I also have to drink diet because I’m diabetic, so want to make sure I’m saying the right thing. Is it the lite or the aqua that means diet?

For diet you can say “diet” or lite" ie: Coca Cola lite/diet, Sprite Lite/Diet

No sugar = No azúcar
Water = Agua
Beer = Cervesa
I am diabetic = Soy diabética

As I said earlier, the letter “j” in Spanish is pronounced like an "h"
ie: Su duro trabajo = Pronounced Su duro trabaho

When there’s an accent on a letter that’s where you put the intonation.
ie: dia tica

Diane :wink:

When I went 5 years ago to La Romana, I had researched and made a bunch of cards with requests for extra bottled water, or towels etc. After 3rd day of not getting anything I had reqeusted, I was told the majority of the maids could not read, so would not understand my request. Anyone else encounter this?? Still had a good holiday… ::slight_smile:

If you realise that your requests are not filled, try to be around when the housekeeper does your room and you can tell them directly what you want. Even if they answer back in Spanish, you have said what you wanted to say, just hope that they understood. If it does not work, try the housekeeping manager. The managers usually speak English.

Interesting…I would thing if they could not read they would ask someone who could in order to make the guest happy. One year the most wonderful maid dropped a hair brush and the handle broke. She wrote in ENGLISH (not well)how sorry she was, that she would replace etc. SHe felt so bad she was still saying how sorry she was 2 weeks latter. Lovely lady.

Then on another vacation the maid dropped a necklace that I loved and broke it. Not a word!! We saw her everyday, tipped her everyday spoke to her in Spanglish as much as we could and nothing.

I was just suprised at the difference. If I broke something of someone’s I would at least acknowledge that I did it and say I was sorry.

Anyone ever have this experience?

It may have been an embarrassment for that person to have to acknowledge that they could not read the note?

Haven’t experienced anything like that but maybe this person that broke the necklace was too afraid to openly acknowledge the fact; in fear of having to pay for the accident or possibly loosing their job?
Just thinking out loud and I know what you mean; it would have made me feel better hearing an apology and then letting it slide.

Dan.