Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Mailing a letter to Cuba

I would like to try mailing a letter to friends in Cuba but wondered if it would get through or “lost in the mail”. Comments and suggestions from anyone who has successfully sent mail to Cuba would be appreciated. :slight_smile:
Thanks.
steffiej

steffiej,

My success with postcards is almost 100%.

Success with skinny envelops with only one piece of paper inside (obviously no money, etc.) is over 90%.

Fat envelopes… forget it… less than 50%…

Bottom line: Don’t mail anything of value or anything that can’t be replaced…

Good luck.

Postcards and skinny envelopes will make it.
Almost nothing else.
The mail isn’t treated the same as it is here. It’s not a guaranteed right but more like a mass of floating reeds on the river with your stuff for your family downstream, piled on top.
Maybe the raft makes it to your intended and maybe not.
Chances are better if your mail has no cash value. Gets looked at, man-handled, then put back on the raft. Continues down stream, examined by every observer and floats along …
Your family retrieves it and that’s it.
Cubans get their overseas cash from Caribbean Transfers and off-shore pre-loaded credit cards.
And Mules like us, LOL

I’ve, actually, got a postcard I was going to send but you can’t fit much of a message on them ::slight_smile: That’s why I decided to ask about the chances of getting a letter through. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I’ve lost email contact so I thought I’d try a brief letter with nothing in it to send up any flags. WTH, for the price of a stamp, I think I’ll give it a shot. I’ll send a letter AND the postcard and see what happens.
What about out bound letters from Cuba? Would they have problems replying if they get my messages?
You’re right, Spunky, I’ve muled and have had kind people mule for me but I’d really like to give the mail a shot.

Our best contacts in Cuba say “texting” works better than anything.

When I am in Cuba I put the word out that I will mail letters in Canada to their Canadian friends (and I will do the stamps). I have a caveat that the letter must be unsealed, and not counter-revolutionary; I don’t wanna be banned from Cuba!

I’ve brought home love letters and marriage documentation, and it makes me smile to think a Canadian sweetheart is going to get something in the mail, with no idea who sent it. Closest I’ll get to being an angel, this side of the pine box.

I’ve had better success with mailing skinny letters to Cuba than sending postcards. Postcards put into an envelope have also arrived but plain postcards haven’t. I wondered if the pretty pictures on postcards prompted someone to use the postcards as home decor.

Somewhat off topic, but as a heads up to those considering taking mail to resort staff, do be careful about delivering the mail. I made the mistake of giving the envelope to a Cuban staff member in the presence of a female not realizing she was girlfriend # ? of probably many others. The letter was from another of his female friends and his “flavour of the week” obviously read the letter I had delivered from last months “flavour of the week”. I ended up being harassed all week by this lady for details of the resort workers private life. Make sure you deliver the letter only when the recipient is alone!

;D ;D ;D I might be one of the few people around who does NOT text…ever!

On the upside, I don’t know if it was creating this thread but, low and behold, I received an email this morning from our friend. Weird but great to hear from her.
I am going to try mailing a message, probably following YVRck’s suggestion of postcard within the envelope as I’ve already bought a pretty card. Now that I’ve made contact, again, I’ll be able to track whether it’s received.
Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I have had 100% luck with post cards and 99% with letters only because I was foolish enough to slip a $5 in as a test. Apparently the envelope was very neatly slit open at the bottom and reglued. I sent three of these $5 letters as a test to three different people but none of them arrived. All other letters, without $, were received in 4-6 weeks.

As an alternative to a post card with little space, I buy a nice card from the $ store and cut the back off. Quite a bit more room to write. I always prefer to receive a card or letter than an email. It just seems like a more personal connection to me.

I think to an extent it also depends where you are mailing the letters to. I stopped mailing letters to my friend in the Marea del Portillo village because she didn’t get any of them - not postcards, single sheet letters, etc. But when I sent a letter to a friend in Pilon, the nearby larger town, it arrived.

I now send e-mail through a mutual friend who prints it and delivers it for me and then e-mails a reply within a day or two.

Or I telephone, which involves two calls - one the day before to the neighbour with the phone to set up the time. I tell the neighbour what day and time I will call back, and then my friend is ready when I call. In fact, the neighbour will take her phone off the hook about 10 minutes before I am due to call so that no one else can “take my time”. So far it has worked fairly well!

[quote=@cubamiga]

As an alternative to a post card with little space, I buy a nice card from the $ store and cut the back off. Quite a bit more room to write. I always prefer to receive a card or letter than an email. It just seems like a more personal connection to me.[/quote]

What a great idea :smiley: Reference to another thread…this is why I like this forum :-*

These little $ store cards have ended up being “artwork” for friends who live in the countryside.