Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Majestic Colonial - New Management?

I’ve been reading the Trip Advisor reviews regularly for the Majestic Colonial and have noticed that the although it’s still rated as #1, there are ALOT more negative reviews lately. Specifically regarding the food (lots of food poisoning and stomach issues reviews) which I hadn’t seen intially, plus poor housekeeping and poor managment.

My question is … Does anyone know if the the MC management moved over to take on the new Majestic Elegance and that the Colonial is now under new, less experienced management?

hmmm…not sure about that katgrl…when we were ther in december we talked to a few of the majestic elegance management and they had been just brought on board, not from the colonial…also the elegance club managers and even bartenders were all new to the company…can’t speak to the issues at the colonial, but the elegance staff were very professional.

We just got back from the Colonial (Jan 11-18). No food poisoning of stomach issues with us. We found the food really good. I can’t understand why these reviews say this.

I didn’t see any poor housekeeping (our room was always cleaned to our liking) and one day I went into the washrooms at the beach and one stall had no lock…the next day I went into same stall and there was a lock put on!!!

Poor Management…didn’t see it. I found this resort and staff went out of your way to please you. I thought the service in the buffet restaurant was exceptional.

At the highest levels there is a very, very experienced management team which oversees the operations of BOTH resorts. It is headed by a family member from Spain as this chain is family owned. The Majestic name is this groups premier name brand.

Gregg

Perhaps its just the ‘new’ and ‘less experienced’ guests that are the cause for the negative reviews?? haha

No new management team, same guys run both resorts, I will be there Wednesday morning with mikefisher for our 2nd tour, talked to them an hour ago.

Thanks everyone… it just seemed like the MC reviews had taken a sudden nose dive!

I do feel more assured now that it must have been a bunch of “in-experienced” guests like vdp said! :wink:

I think I have to agree with you VDP ;D

I Can’t speak for the Colonial, but the we just got back from a week at the Elegance (review/pics/videos/ coming soon)and everything was amazing, I ate/drank everything I could get my hands on (LOL) and never had any stomach issues, the staff from Guest Services, the Front Lobby, the Restaurants, the Bars, the Maids, Gardeners, etc. were always attentive, friendly and went out of their way for us and other guests as far as I could see.

cheers

The same thing happened after I booked my trip to MC last September. All of the sudden people were falling ill “due to the food”.
Our trip was perfect. We ate everything (fresh veggies, salads, meat cooked medium, you name it) and we didn’t have a single problem.
Sometimes the food claims are legitimate, but luckily, with a handful of bad reviews on multiple forums, the problem seems to correct itself :wink:
And sometimes people become bandwagon complainers and arrive at wrong conclusions. Alot of people don’t realize how many factors around them could be causing intestinal upset, and so they simply blame it on the food.
Overall, the resorts are held to pretty strict standards by the tourism sector of the local government and by tour operators. No tour operator wants to send their customers into a health-compromised resort, so they demand regular health inspections reports and what not. If a resort has repeated failures, you can bet that very few tour operators will be sending their customers there.

We just came back from 9 nights at Majestic Colonial and a further 7 nights at Dreams La Romana. Last Jan we spent all 16 nights at the Colonial.

We did not get sick at Colonial, but we did find a lot (maybe 50%) of the buffet food was not hot or even barely lukewarm. I’m not sure if they are having trouble with the warmers or not, but even the food just brought out from the kitchen was put out and it was not hot.

Still found lots to eat,but it was disappointing. As far as I know the former manager Victor is now managing the Elegance and the new manager at Colonial may be Francisco?

[quote=@katgrl]I’ve been reading the Trip Advisor reviews regularly for the Majestic Colonial and have noticed that the although it’s still rated as #1, there are ALOT more negative reviews lately. Specifically regarding the food (lots of food poisoning and stomach issues reviews) which I hadn’t seen intially, plus poor housekeeping and poor managment.
[/quote]

Hi,

I just got back… well… yesterday and I can speak on what’s going on.

Indeed room service is stretched thin. During our 7 day stay I never got towel art once. Room was not cleaned for 2 days. Fridge stocked only 4 days of the 7. Maid staff working till when we went to bed at night. Odd hours of cleaning/bar restocking.

However, it was not a big deal when faced with more staff and higher ticket prices.

I can go on and on about the positives.

One thing I can say is that the kitchen staff should not be cooking with tap water. This will give guests water born diaherea. Also they should make sure the food is fully cooked or everyone can get salmonella poisoning.

I can say that I had full confidence in the cooks and chefs at the resort. My wife never took immodium and never got diareah. I only got it once.

I would NOT say the same when we went to Gran Bahia Principe 5 months ago when I’m still reading reviews about everyone having travelers diahreah. We had plenty of time on the toilet over there trust me. I wish you could just see visually the difference in chefs between teh two resorts and you would know that Majestic has professionals, the GBP had street people working for low wages who had no clue how to cook (it seemed).