Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Majestic Colonial Questions

Wondering if anyone who has been to the MC could answer these questions?:

~ Do they have hairdryers in the washrooms?
~ Do I need an adapter for the electrical outlets?
~ Do they have alarm clocks or should I bring a travel clock?

And most importantly,

~ Do they have Clamato Juice? ;D

Wondering if anyone who has been to the MC could answer these questions?:

~ Do they have hairdryers in the washrooms?

Yes.

~ Do I need an adapter for the electrical outlets?

No.

~ Do they have alarm clocks or should I bring a travel clock?

There is one built into the TV but not a separate one - I bring a travel alarm.

~ Do they have Clamato Juice? ;D

Yes, in the lower lobby bar, at least the two times we have been there.

Gregg

Sweet.

Thanks! ;D

Actually we were there last month and our room had an alarm clock but with so many brown outs the time was never right. But we asked for a wakeup call and that worked great.

Maybe they’ve been added; our last trip was a while ago. Thanks for the update.

Gregg

They had clamato juice when we were there two years ago. I think it’s hit and miss.

Yes.

Not if you use regular North American plugs.

Yes.

And I used it to listen to the only FM radio station they have. Also leave it on for room service so they would have music to listen to when in my room cleaning as Dominican’s sure do love music.

[quote]And most importantly,

~ Do they have Clamato Juice? [/quote]

Good question. I can say for sure that I never saw anyone drinking it there or having a ceasar but i’m sure they must have it. I bet in Cuba you couldn’t get that.

Thanks everyone - maybe I should bring a travel clock with batteries anyways, due to the brown outs…

One more question - what kind of beer do they give you in your room? Presidente?

[quote=@mikedavid00]

I bet in Cuba you couldn’t get that.
[/quote]

[b]Certainly is available in Cuba, had it a number of times there,

Motts is made in Canada and that country trades with Cuba[/b]

[hr]

The brown outs talked about I do not understand, Majestic has their own jet powered power plant.

Hey Wud…the brown outs certainly do occur…and on a regular basis. Our clock would be flashing “12:00” every time we looked at it. We’d reset it, and soon, it would be flashing again. Yet the clock in mom’s room was fine. ::slight_smile: Go figure !
I woke up one night around 2:00 and the air and lights went off for literally 5 seconds. I had to restart the air. When I talked to Annemarie about it, she confirmed that we shouldn’t trust the clocks, and to get a wake up call if needed. (Which we did, for our golf game). She has a little thingy beside her desk (I’m such a girl) so her computer doesn’t mess up.

Robyn,

That would be a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

Basically a battery backup with a quick switch-over capability.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg…thingys, doohickies, star and square screwdrivers, and even those noises our vehicles make…clunks, clangs and rattles in the whatevers. That’s why we need you men :wink:

Back on topic…
Kat…yes…Presidente in the minibar in your room.

Robyn

[quote=@katgrl]Thanks everyone - maybe I should bring a travel clock with batteries anyways, due to the brown outs…

One more question - what kind of beer do they give you in your room? Presidente? [/quote]

Yeah bring your own clock if you are goign to actually use it. I just used it for the FM radio. The brownouts are pretty quick.

The do indeed have presedente and I smuggled 2 bottles back into Canada and thought of selling them or giving them away.

The cleaning lady’s will have presedente bottles and give a dollar, you will get 3. Ours wrapped ours in a towel.

Here’s the thing though. The bottles are warm. So it really takes the day for them to get cold. The fridge takes about 2 days for everything to get cold.

Overall I think Presedante is ‘nothing special’ and not really a great beer. My favorite is draft Richards Red in a chilled glass… The draft Presedante is yuck… very mild too.

You really picked a winner with Majestic Colonial. This is coming from a person that is hard to please and expects value. You’ll really enjoy the food. I know I did.

Go to the Mexican/Dominican resturaunt. They have a buffet there. They have lamb curry. Try to order the steak dish on the menu. We had it twice and it was really good. My wife who never eats steak even liked it. They took the tough part of the steak, cut it thin, hammered it out, then ‘treated’ it to make it soft or something… i dont know what they did but man it was good.

Much of the time, the food was so good and plentiful, we honestly didn’t have room to eat everything that we wanted. Just the dominican resturuant alone, I had to make room for seafood salad, lamb curry, burritos with fresh made quacamole, tortillas, and sour cream, chimi changas a la cart, and steak a la cart. This didn’t even include the sushi we had before hand at the Japanese resturuant. We had to look at food that we really wanted to eat and simply pass up everything else because we didn’t have the room to eat it. It was all really that good. (not amazing food, just good to really good).

You’re also going to see Brides there, weddings daily. Staff will bend to speak English to you. The resort is very food/catoring/wedding/group/English/French oriented.

It really is rated the #1 resort for a reason. When you see the beach at the Elegance you’ll be glad you didn’t book there. You’ll see.

And the resort lights up at night and feels magical. Almost like another place. You’ll know what I mean. You’re in for a big treat.

But don’t let anything that happens in the lobby lower your expectation when you first arrive (room not ready, bar staff at front, stains on ceiling, etc).

Also don’t pull your keycard out too fast or too slow or it will not work.

hi, the quickest way to get around the time needed to chill the beer is to line the trash bucket with a clean plastic bag add the beer and top off with tons of ice
when done I set it in the shower in case of a leak

my husband was so grateful for a really chilled brew
wintkat

Mikedavid, thanks so much for all the great info!

I am sooooooo excited and really looking forward to seeing the MC “in real life” instead of just photos…

Well, I better get to bed ~ I leave tomorrow!!! Woooooohoooo!