Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Making a call to Canada from Punta Cana

What do I do in order to call home (Canada)?
Can you buy calling cards in Punta Cana?
Anybody know what the charges would be from your resort?

with something like Skype on your laptop, and internet connectivity from the resort, it can be extremely cheap (or free)

I will be doing a number of 30m-1hr conference calls for business while on ‘vacation’ - I expect the bill would be egregious if I used the hotel lines.

We just got back from the Ocean Blue. I bought a calling card at the gift shop for 10 US dollars. This gave me 28 minutes of calling Canada. However the hotel charged me 2 dollars connection charge each time I called. Simply scratch the area on the card and that will give you a PIN number for you to use. Just follow directions from the operator. It’s very simple.

My brother gave me a “Magic Jack” for Christmas. He told me that I could take it on vacation and would be able to make long distance phone calls back home through a computer (no charge, except the usual internet access the resorts charge). Haven’t tried it yet (while on vacation). I’ve used it to call Calgary several times from my home computer.

a potential concern/limitation with using something like Magic Jack from a hotel PC is that you may not be able to install the necessary drivers onto that PC - depending on how it has been locked down against such installs

Not an issue if you have your own laptop.

mudman

I have a pretty good plan with my cell network and always call home with my cell. I pay about .80 per minute. Sure its more than Skype etc, but it works for me, and I don’t usually talk too long.

I have an iPhone thru Rogers and it’s $4.00/minute for both incoming and outgoing calls to Canada. Text messages are $.60 for each one SENT (no charge for receiving a text message).

Guess I’ll be leaving the cellphone at home and buying a calling card as per Oceangal…

[quote=@writfiler]I have an iPhone thru Rogers and it’s $4.00/minute for both incoming and outgoing calls to Canada. Text messages are $.60 for each one SENT (no charge for receiving a text message).

Guess I’ll be leaving the cellphone at home and buying a calling card as per Oceangal…[/quote]

take the iphone, still fun, use it for music, movies and games, also google map still works no charge, and plus Iphone connects wifi if you find a signal…

dont leave home with out it, i dont, hehe

Yes, but is there a charge from Rogers for connecting to wifi??

this is getting off topic I will Pm you, but there is no charge from rogers for wifi

well my son called me from the airport last month and it cost 39 bucks for 6 mins. of time as per the magic jack i tried calling to punta cana from home and it didn’t work so iam thinking it wont work from there up here phone cards are the best

I’ve had good luck using 10-10-710 service to call from here to the Dominican Republic. If your home phone is with Bell, you can use this service to call the DR for 99 cents / 10 minutes (8 minutes if you are calling a cell phone) and the charge shows up on your Bell bill. No muss, no fuss.

Definately get a phone card while your there, was there last year, huge mistake on my part. I used pay phone with my credit card, and a call home to say, " don’t wait up, the plane is going to be an hour late," cost me $42.00 will never go that route again. Find using the internet cafe is much cheaper, and you can say alot more through an email for what you’d use to speak on a phone call.

$6 us- five minute direct call from the hotel (5 minutes),
$5cdn - call collect from front desk phone (10 minutes)