Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Malaria pills

We are headed down to Bahia Principe Ambar the week of Feb 20th. I am not hearing too much this year about Malaria pills. According to the CDC website, they are recommending taking the pills to prevent malaria while away in the Punta Cana resort area. Can anybody confirm if this is correct… Is everybody taking malairia pills before and after going to Punta Cana???

I have been to the DR 32 times and have never taken the meds and have been fine but only you and your doctor can decide what is best for you.

We were at the Bahia last May and never had a problem with Mosquito’s at all. We were a group of 40 for a wedding and everyone survived. Just a few suffered from “Hangovers”.

I too as Hula stated have never taken Malaria pills and have been fine…

Was at my Dr yesterday for a check up and travel plans came up. My Dr is heading to Punta Cana next week with her family and I am heading there in April with mine. She says I need Malaria pills - I said I didn’t! She has her family on Chloroquine and insisted I take the same for our family. We were in Africa a couple of years ago and we took Malarone and it was very hard on the stomach. She wrote the prescriptions - I haven’t filled them yet! Has anyone heard anything about how high the risk is this year?

The Public Health Agency of Canada recommends chloroquine for malaria prevention if you are going to Punta Cana. The risk is the same as it has been for the past 3 years or so. You can check it out yourself on their website www.phac.gc.ca then click on travel advisories

My daughter and I went to Doc last week, hubby yesterday (son in few weeks) we had to get twinrix (hubby and I) kids got one shot at school. Also given malaria pills and travellers diarrhea stuff as well (spelling not so good). Supposed to take those soon. Never took them when we went 5 years ago, but doctor says better safe than sorry…

We took chloroquine 3 years ago, but not the other times.

Rick, that is what we got, and dukoral.

I just got back from Bahia Principe last week. My wife and I never had any bug bites at all. They do spray all around complex including balconies. Four years ago we did the meds, been back every year without.Enjoy it is a beautiful place !

Heading out to GBP on Feb 20th from Toronto and yes doc has insisted we take the malaira pills and the dukoral for the trots. Better to be safe than sorry, it only takes one bite and its could be last trip any where. We did take the malaria pills in 2007 when we went. You need to ask yourself, is it really worth the risk especially when the CDC is highly recommending to protect yourself. By taking the percautions, you don’t have to worry if you happen to get bit during your nap time. Bring on the heat and sunshine we are almost there.

We took Malarone last year when we stayed at EdenH. No ill affects with those. A friend was taking chloroquine and she said it making her feel a bit crappy but not enough to ruin the vacation. Check with your doctor. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn’t wish malaria on anyone!

We have been to the DR many times and have never been concerned about Malaria. Our doctor has never recommended them either. Twinrix is the only thing i would recommend for Hep B and C. but again other people have never taken this.
Resorts are routinely fogged for flying insects. You probably didn’t want to hear that.
Do what you feel is best for you with the information you get.

I’ve talked to my doctor twice now in the last 3 years about malaria meds. She still says whether you take them or not you can still get malaria and still have to take meds when you get home. Why would I put that in y body if I don’t have to. ???

This is true, but the dosage for treatment of malaria is much higher than the dosage for prevention. Not to mention that the side effects of malaria can be severe and long term. As the old adage goes: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

We head to the Ambar on the 21st. Doctor recommended us taking malaria meds and Dukoral. We have had our TwinRix and have filled a prescription for Cipro. Better safe than sorry and so far no ill effects from the meds.

All of our trips down there, we have never even gotten a mosquito bite.

We usually take the meds though.