Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Mamajuana

Anyone try this stuff?

Is it worth bringing back as a souvenier?
What else would you recommend for souveniers?

How much rum can you bring back?
I’m just trying to figure out who i can buy for… lol :smiley:

thanks

Yes, we’ve tried it. No big deal; just a unique drink that supposedly enhances your sex life. (oppinions vary) As for bringing it back, it is sold in two forms. One is the mixed bottle;the other is the ingredients which allow you to make your own. Those who have tried to bring back the ingredients had them seized because it’s an agricultural product. The mixed liquid form seems to get into Canada okay.

[quote=@mamax5]Anyone try this stuff?

Is it worth bringing back as a souvenier?
What else would you recommend for souveniers?

How much rum can you bring back?
I’m just trying to figure out who i can buy for… lol :smiley:

thanks
[/quote]
Definitely buy it as it is well worth while and is absolute delicious. Other things you might consider to bring abck as DR cigars, some nice paintings and some jewelery that is sold locally but please make sure it is genuine as so many are fake. As for rum check the FAQ sectoin inDebbies

Coming back into Canada, the official limit is 1.14 litres per adult traveler. Normally they won’t even lift an eyebrow if you have two (or even 3 bottles each). Beyond that, expect to pay duty and taxes of about $11 for a 750 ml bottle. Add the original cost of the bottle and it’s not worth carting it back. And, if you go overweight on your luggage, the airline wants about $10/kg. ::slight_smile:

I read that they serve this drink mamaujauna at the Grand Oasis Marien, anyone can tell me if it’s at the bar or at one of the speciality restaurants ?

check at the beach bar. i’ve been at a few where the bar tender would pour you and him off a shoot to enjoy!!

[quote=@sunseeker2007]I read that they serve this drink mamaujauna at the Grand Oasis Marien, anyone can tell me if it’s at the bar or at one of the speciality restaurants ?
[/quote]

They had it available at the restaurants when I was there a couple of years ago. :slight_smile:

More and more resorts are now serving the nectar of the Taino gods.
Myth or Legend, a few shooters always taste good.

what does it taste like?

Every batch I’ve had was different. It’s a mixture of rum, honey and red wine plus the ‘magic’ herbs and spices. Some have been a little rough, some have been OK and I’ve had a few that were really quite pleasant.
BTW, I’ve corrected the spelling to mamajuana. ;D

I brought a bottle back of the mamajuana that’s I guess mass produced. It’s called K-Ribu that I picked up at my hotel. Not anything like the stuff that’s made with the herbs at the hotels…it tastes more like a strong rum with a little different flavour. I pour it over ice and sip it as an after dinner drink.

My niece brought back one of the empty bottles with the herbs/spices in it to make it at home. Still waiting for my invite to try it…they had it in their checked baggage.

luv2yak, if I remember correctly, it tasted very similar to the after-dinner drink, Dubonnet. I will have the opportunity to refresh my memory when I return to the DR later this week.

When we were in P.P. last year we were on an excursion and stopped at a couple of shops that sold Mamajuana. They had several different types depending on what you wanted to use it for: Sexual inhansment, as well as other health remedies. All made slightly different (different herbes & liquors) and tasting different. Some sweeter then others.

When coming through Regina customs last night anyone with the herbs alone in bottles had to open a rum bottle to fill in the herbs before being released.
I think it’s best to bring it back already mixed and then mix your own once finished. The herbs can be use at least 10 times.

Brought the dried stuff home 2 years ago. No problem. Have a batch going now. It is good for colds and flu symptons. Doing shooters is just fine by me.

Last week on the program Homeland Security (I think that is the name) a woman was bringing it back into the US and that is exactly what they made her do is put rum in the bottle. Then they said no problem. We have brought it back several times but, it was in the checked bag.