Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Marea Del Portillo Resort - Granma - Cuba

This resort has the greatest % of repeater of any resort in Cuba. Many have been over 100 times. Do you want to know why ?

Because it is smaller but is well laid out; has the Farallon on top of the hill; has great staff, pretty good beer? I liked it a lot.

Good points - also ::: few steps - nice beach close to most rooms - horse back riding on - site - great marine cruises - most foolocal organic - great staff & very nice guests - Si !!! Also - Great mountain hikes and bird watching - scuba near by.

The Saturaday street party in Pilon is Fun

Sitting at the Farallon on my balcony, I had one of the nicest views ever, mountains and sea. I found that staff treated me well even though it was my first time, I didn’t see a difference between how I was treated and how the regulars were served.

And that’s the way it should always be!

Sometimes it’s not the staff that play “favourites” with the guests, but guests who are more demanding of staff time when they are repeaters.

[quote=@cubakingone]This resort has the greatest % of repeater of any resort in Cuba. Many have been over 100 times. Do you want to know why ?
[/quote]

Well in my sister’s case, it was because she met a resort worker who she eventually married and brought to Canada.

Did I mention he is now the ex-husband!

I think that a lot of guests are involved with Cubans. I saw lots of married and unmarried couples, some with children. Couples appear to live apart in Canada and Cuba, so they visit frequently and use the hotel as a meeting place. Some relationships appear to have been going on a while.

The shorter relationships seem to end up at Punta Piedra, a no tell motel, sort of, a few kilometers away.

Snakes, honestly that Punta Piedra is a DIVE. And when you are trying to book Marea, the cheapest is always that place that rents for $$ for $20 minutes. YUCK. I would not only want a new set os sheets & towels, I would also require a new mattress - I’m everyone knows what I mean. I have heard of people thinking they were booking Marea, when they actually got PP. So it pays to do research. I am surprised it’s still there unless it is used in really off season for …

[quote=@sund0g]Snakes, honestly that Punta Piedra is a DIVE. And when you are trying to book Marea, the cheapest is always that place that rents for $$ for $20 minutes. YUCK. I would not only want a new set os sheets & towels, I would also require a new mattress - I’m everyone knows what I mean. I have heard of people thinking they were booking Marea, when they actually got PP. So it pays to do research. I am surprised it’s still there unless it is used in really off season for …[/quote]Oh come on now, no tell  :-X motels are part of the Latin culture, don’t frown on them like that. LOL P-)

I walked to Pilon from the Marea a few times. I would stop at the Punta Piedra for a beer break next to the pool. It always looked dead. I suppose everyone likes to stay indoors there.

I’m sure it must be quite a shock to end up there when you think you going to be staying at the Marea.

Michel took his first steps at the Farallon. Angelica started her stage dancing at the Marea.

Good video here :::

Snakes said: “I walked to Pilon from the Marea a few times. I would stop at the Punta Piedra for a beer break next to the pool. It always looked dead. I suppose everyone likes to stay indoors there”

You made me laugh at that one. And then Gordon posted. I really like Marea, just glad they didn’t stay in PP. He looks good doesn’t he? My brother met him there at Marea not PP!!.. I loved that video and I’m one of Gordon’s supporters. I would love to meet him in my travels and have a conversation.

Great photos of Marea and Farallon here :
https://www.google.ca/search?q=marea+del+portillo+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GT8jU76lD4r_oQTV-YCgCA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=619

[quote=@cubakingone]Good video here :::

[/quote]

Very nice video from Marea Del Portillo Resort - Granma indeed. I see that creators of the video truly enjoy Cuba and their vacation time. Thanks for sharing !

Below is a link to photos of Marea del Portillo and Farallon del Caribe facilities and the general area. Beautiful place to go for a budget-minded vacationer. We really enjoyed our week there.

[a href=“http://joeandkarentravelphotos.ca/mareaportillo/index.html”]Marea del Portillo Photos[/a]

I walked from Niquero to Marea