Yes, it is important to ensure that you have adequate insurance to cover your expenses in the case of unforeseen incidents and it is important that you understand your coverage.
But it sounds like you may have very basic insurance if it doesn't cover repatriation in the event of death, and/or serious medical issues. The Manulife Cover-Me policy, which is similar to many other policies, states:
Expenses related to your death
If you die during your trip from an emergency covered under this insurance, we will reimburse your estate for:
• up to $5,000 to have your body prepared where you die and the cost of the standard transportation container normally used by the airline, plus the return home of your body;
• up to $5,000 to have your body prepared and the cost of a standard burial container, plus up to $5,000 for your burial where you die; or
• up to $5,000 to cremate your body where you die plus the return home of your ashes.
In addition, if someone is legally required to identify your body and must travel to the place of your death, we will pay the return economy class airfare via the most cost effective itinerary for that person, and up to $300 for that person’s hotel and meal expenses. We will also provide that person with Emergency Medical Insurance under the same terms and limitations of this policy for up to seventy-two (72) hours.
Expenses to bring you home
If your treating physician recommends that you return home because of your emergency or if our medical advisors recommend that you return home after your emergency, we will pay
for one or more of the following:
• the extra cost of economy class airfare via the most cost-effective itinerary; and/or
• a stretcher airfare on a commercial flight via the most cost-effective itinerary, if a stretcher is medically necessary; and/or Emergency Medical Insurance Emergency Medical Insurance
• the cost of return economy class airfare via the most cost-effective itinerary for a qualified medical attendant to accompany you, and the attendant’s reasonable fees and expenses, if this is medically necessary or required by the airline; and/or
• the cost of air ambulance transportation if this is medically necessary.