Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Melia Cayo Guillermo

Looking at the Meila Cayo Guillermo for March of next year. Anything I should know before booking?

hula

thin beach, nice, but thin, I think the resort was just renovated, bowling alley nearby, a beautiful beach in a national park not far away, great people, fun times

Hula, Lots of people here love the place and it’s on our to do list too.
Take a few extra smiles, lol.

I have no problem recommending the MCG to anyone including family. I haven’t stayed there but have stayed next door at the Sol and have ventured over often as they have the La Casa del Habano for their cigar store. We’ve only stayed at the Sol because we liked the bungalows (and staff) there. The MCG certainly has more amenities and the grounds are very nice. From what I understand from fellow travelers, the food is fairly decent, as Cuban resort food goes.

:sunglasses:

We stayed at the Sol Guillermo this past spring, I didn’t like the food at all I can’t beleive the reviews where people said the food is great!!! And the fake orange juice, yuck. Then seeing the bartenters watering down the rum was enough for me. We have stayed at the Sol Guillermo, Tryp, Blau and Sol Cayo Coco so we are looking to try a differant resort this time and the Melia looked nice when we walked through, does anyone know how the food is?

Hula

We stayed here Apr 07 and again this past April.We love this resort and the food was great.

We are also looking at the Melia for spring 2013. Like you, food can be a bone of contention as fake orange juice and watered down rum , for us. Last year, we did the Tryp in Cayo Coco, best food so far in Cuba. 2010, then NH Krystal, food was the worst ever, now Iberostar CayoCoco, maybe better.

The head chef makes all the difference in how the food is prepared for the enitre hotel. We spoke at lenght to the GM at the Tryp and he explained the “chef” thing. The Melia is also apparenlty shut down right now for renos and they will be getting a mew GM fall 2012. Let’s hope for a new chef as well and ny the time we get there in spring 2013, it will be a well oiled machine!!

Also appears that Transat has the monopoly for this hotel right now…pricing for 2012 is not that great!!

Something really odd here with MCG. We were to go there in June 2012 and then in early May after all the reservations were done. They announced they were closing the end of May for renos. We went to great expense (no joking) as this involved moving flights for family members and ended up at Playa Costa Verde (Great time) only to have the resort (MCG) reopen June 22. …??? and now you say it is closing again??? :o Something smells a little off… ::slight_smile: