Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Melia Cayo Santa Maria end of Jan

Think of going, like the idea of no kids
Do they have cooking classes there?

Would it be comparable to Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort
Would the weather be warm at time
The last 2 years we were in El Salvador nice hot weather, but would like to see some nice blue seas

Does anyone know if there is internet on the resort?

We have been to the MSM the past 4 years and are again this year departing November 14th.
I do not recall any cooking classes being offered.
As for the internet it is poor service at best. I think it was only up and running for one afternoon last year while we were there. In the past I know I have had to go to the Sol next door to use their internet service.

[quote=@zuley]As for the internet it is poor service at best. I think it was only up and running for one afternoon last year while we were there. In the past I know I have had to go to the Sol next door to use their internet service.[/quote]Internet can be spotty at CSM, but seems to have been improving lately. On his last two visits, (June & October 2008) my husband has managed emails home almost daily with no difficulty. Interestingly, he was staying at Sol but in June he needed to go over to Melia for Internet access. :smiley:

As far as the weather goes, I have experienced wonderful weather at that time, but there are no guarantees. It’s certainly possible to get some cool, windy days, especially on the Atlantic side of Cuba…

We just book for Jan 24, with transat , flying with CanJet at 6:10 am
It will be different then EL Savador where it was hot all the time
But it will be nice to walk on a nice beach
Any info would be helpful ;D

[quote=@koz]
Any info would be helpful ;D[/quote]Anything in particular that you want to know? I go to CSM, either Sol or Melia, at least once a year. My husband goes there more often than that! You could say we like the place. :smiley:

Mostly just going for R&R
Can wear nice shorts for dinner?
Is it worth it to pack your own snorkel and fins?
What is the gym like?
Is the dinner wine good?
Best room to get , we book just a standard room
What did you like best about the resort that you are always going back?

Shorts for dinner…probably O.K. at the buffet. Not the a la cartes. I always take my own snorkel gear. Not the best off the beach snorkelling, but if you get a calm day check out the rocks close to the beach on the west side of Sol. Usually quite a bit to be seen. I don’t use the gym, but it looks pretty good. Dinner wine is usually Spanish, not bad. At least I find it quite acceptable.

As far as the room, depends on what you like. I usually try to get close to the walkways to Sol and to the beach, so probably buildings 6, 7, or 8. I also prefer upstairs, but that would depend on how you feel about going up and down stairs. Here’s a map of the layout…the walkway to Sol is between buildings 4 and 6, one of the walkways to the beach is between buildings 7 and 8. (that one takes you out at the shared nautical facilities…perfect for me, since I love to sail!)

http://www.cayosantamaria.info/melia/plan_fr.html

Lots more about this area here, if you either read French or care to use a translator…
http://www.cayosantamaria.info/
Sol Cayo Santa Maria was the first place I ever went in Cuba. I fell in love with the area…the long stretch of white sand beach, the isolation and privacy…and I’ve gone back every year. Unfortunately more hotels have been built and the beach isn’t so “desert island” anymore, but nothing has so far been built west of Sol, so with a little walking you can still find yourself on an unoccupied white sand beach, and enjoy the solitude…

Thank for all the info :slight_smile:
Why would you want to be close to Sol? Can you use that resort also?
It sound like Cayo Largo or Cayo Coco
We were are the Barco Cayo Largo the first year it opened

If you look on Google Map , there appears to be two resorts beside each other, is MCSM the one on the right side?

On the map , some building are in purple, orange and green is there any difference in the rooms?

I usually book lat minute but the price was to good to turn down, I try to book last but wait a day to late and it was gone( for the price I want to pay LOL)

[quote=@koz]Thank for all the info :slight_smile:
Why would you want to be close to Sol? Can you use that resort also?

If you look on Google Map , there appears to be two resorts beside each other, is MCSM the one on the right side?

On the map , some building are in purple, orange and green is there any difference in the rooms?[/quote]
Yes, you can use the Sol facilities, but you aren’t supposed to eat there. Sol is the most westerly resort on the beach (left side if you face the ocean), then Melia, then Melia las Dunas, and finally the new Barcelo. Rooms at Melia are pretty much the same, at least the ones I have been in. (all very nice!)

Thanks
It appears in Google there are only 2 resorts there, but the pictures on Google maps is at least 6 years old
Does anyone know of any aerial pictures that are newer?

i have been 8 times in 3 years - it is the only resort all over caribbean that i have ever repeated. LOVE IT LOVE IT - the people are great - if you want to be close to beach i would ask for building 17 second floor, the catamaran snorkelling trip is fantastic - if you have questions, email me at wendy.norman@utoronto.ca i just got back a few weeks ago

How is the bus ride from the airport,( heard it is 1-1/2 hrs), are the buses nice?
we get into Santa Clara at 9:50 am on the Jan 24th
And leave at 10:50 am Jan 31
Would we leave the resort at 6:am?

:slight_smile: The bus ride is an hour and a half but it’s very interesting. You go through a couple little “towns” and get a glimpse of Cuban life. I am always amazed at how the bus driver can maneuver the bus through those narrow roads! You can get a real close-up view of some of the wiring of the lights on the buildings. I’d pack a few rolls of electrical tape - they use a lot of it there!

We had to be in the lobby early in the a.m. - before the buffet was due to open - and it was mass confusion checking out. One of our worst experiences with check-out. One hint: The bus won’t leave without you. :wink: :-*

At beach and pool bar do they have self server beer and soft drinks?
Is the beer on tap?

:slight_smile: We have never seen any self-serve bar service at any of the resorts in Cuba. We didn’t get a chance to experience the swim-up bar at the Melia but we didn’t really care. We’d rather be at the beach.

We stayed in room 1724 and loved the location - it’s a second-floor room. Close to the Ranchon where they make the best “first thing in the morning” cappucinos and espressos. It’s close to the walkway to the beach (beware, the walkways to the beach are VERY hot on bare feet!). It’s an end-unit and there is a small window on the “end” that offers a great view of the ocean. However, the balcony faces in towards the resort, gets the hot sun all day, but in the evening or early morning you can people watch to your heart’s content.

If you are on the first floor, you won’t see much as there is fairly high shrubbery that blocks your view (great for privacy, though).

We enjoyed the beaches to the right of the Melia, as you look towards the ocean, the Sol is to the left and you will find the clothing optional beach area past the Sol. To the right, the beach flattens out, the sand is firmer therefore easier to walk on and there are less people. You can keep walking past the Barcelo (it wasn’t there when we were there) and climb over some rocks to some “deserted” sandy coves. Wear something on your feet over these rocks as they are quite hard on the feet, kind of like lava rocks.

There is probably some good snorkelling there.

We enjoyed the evening shows better at the Sol as they were a bit more hokey and amatuerish, rather than the Melia that had more “professional” types of shows. The disco is over at the Sol and the Sol has a better shop, IMHO.

There were lots of wedding groups when we were there. :-*

I believe it was El Senator in Cayo Coco had self server beer and soft drinks the year we were there

KOZ, we are leaving for MCSM this Friday and we are very excited, this is our first time ever going to Cuba.

I live about 10 minutes away from you in Port Hope…

[quote=@kymberlee]KOZ, we are leaving for MCSM this Friday and we are very excited, this is our first time ever going to Cuba.

I live about 10 minutes away from you in Port Hope…[/quote]

Have a great trip!!!

We just got back last night… I’ll be posting a review in the next few days… it was a nice resort… weather wasn’t the greatest, but there was NO SNOW!!