Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Mexico Vacations

We’ve been to many places but never Mexico. I’ve read some of these other reviews, and it seems The Mayan is best for us. Can you go there flying into Cancun, or how does it work. also I know of people who just vacation at new resorts giving good deals to get people in the door. Is this a good idea and how does one find these deals. Thanks!

Yes, you fly into the Cancun airport to get the Mayan Riveria. It is about an hour’s drive away. If you book an all inclusive through a tour company, your transportation from the airport to your resort is likely included.

Yes, lots of people get great deals for new resorts and it’s up to you if you want to take that risk of trying a new place. Sometimes people are thrilled they decided to take a chance on a new resort and walk away feeling it was well worth it, others are sorely disappointed because either much of the resort is still not completed or the service/organization isn’t quite up to par which can happen with new resorts. I personally like to read reviews from past visitors to resorts so that I have a good idea of what I’m getting before I get there. So for me I’d rather pay a little extra for some piece of mind. Even then, however, you can’t always rely on reviews either because it really depends on a persons expectations if those expectations were met or not… ie, some people are much more picky than others as to what they think is good service, nice rooms, nice location, good food, etc… There seems to be some really good deals to Mexico this year for all resorts so I wouldn’t just limit myself to pricing out the newer ones. So it’s a bit of a gamble… but if you do enough research you be ok. You’ll find these deals mostly on the discount travel websites… try and few and do LOTS of comparisons before you book.

I’ve stayed in both Cancun and the Mayan Riveria and personally I like the Riveria best. But again, it depends on what your looking for. Cancun tends to be a party spot with more americanized properties (tall hotel buildings) and businesses and less room to move around. The water tends to be a little rougher on that side as well. The Mayan is much more laid back with resorts about 3 to 4 stories high with large grounds… although a day trip to Playa Del Carmen can offer you some rich Mexican culture and action if you like.

Good luck and enjoy Mexico!

Thanks! and any places your really liked in the Mayan?

Not sure what you are looking for BUT I’ve been to Moon Palace, Aventura Palace, Royal Hideaway, Iberostar Lindo, Secrets (now an Excellence Resort) & Marriott (in Cancun). Iberostar is huge & has a multitude of venues. Moon is also pretty big (good service, food & nice hot tub rooms. My favorite is Royal Hideawy. It’s become a little $$$$ but you can walk to Playa del Carmen & it is only adults. Pretty quiet & top service.

I was very happy with the Sandos Select two years ago. That’s a 5 star. This year we are booked at the Viva Wyndham which is a 3.5-4 star. We are taking our two teenaged boys with us this year and the Viva Wyndham offers reduced rates for teenagers. The reviews look pretty decent for what we want although it’s not as posh as the Sandos Select or the ones that almtyrob mentioned above. For us we are simply looking for sun and sand and we plan on doing many day trips. If you are looking for an adults only resort and plan to spend a lot of time there, make sure you read the descriptions of the resorts carefully. There are many to pick from. I suggest you pick a few that look interesting and then look at the reviews for each one.

Pick up some travel books and look to see what resorts would have the amenities you think you would like then come back and read the resort reviews, I think you will find it helpful for you to get it down to 2-3 places. We went twice to the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in the Mayan area and really liked it, next year we decided on Barcelo just for a change of scenary. Both places get rave reviews and there are lots more great locations in the Mayan, I think you will really like Mexico.

I agree with the Royal Hideaway one of the best in the world.