Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Money

Just wondering, we haven’t been to Dominican in a long time and can’t remember what currency to bring. Should we just use Canadian dollars or buy US dollars before we go.

Canadian Dollars are not accepted, Dominican Peso or USD and some places EURO

CD are accepted some places but not all. USD are accepted in most places. Pesos everywhere. However do not exchange you money for pesos at home, at the airport or your hotel, but rather ate exchange houses (cambios) that are all over the place.

Most folks use the ATM machines for cash (only get pesos from the machines here) and usually at a very good rate. If you have a Scotia bank card you can use those Scotia ATMs here with no bank fees. However doo notify your home bank if you plan on using Credit cards or ATMs, or Debit cards or they will put a hold on the card with the first use fearing fraud.

Also remember if you $10 tourist card fee (when you land) and your $20 exit tax(when you leave) if not included in your travel package MUST be paid in USD.

bobk

So I guess the best would be to bring USD as if Canadian dollars are not accepted everywhere maybe rate to exchange Canadian Dollars is not as good as using US dollars.

I just read that not only does it cost $10 to get into the DR, but, now also $20 to get out. Is that true?

It’s always been that way. You may not have realized it because in a lot of cases, the $$$ are buried in the air fare pricing. But, one way or another, you are paying it.

[quote=@bobfromcanada][quote=@tominthedr]I just read that not only does it cost $10 to get into the DR, but, now also $20 to get out. Is that true?[/quote]It’s always been that way. You may not have realized it because in a lot of cases, the $$$ are buried in the air fare pricing. But, one way or another, you are paying it.
[/quote]
Here in Canada, only Sunwing I believe doesn’t include it in your package.

I have to pay an additional exit tax each year because we stay longer than the 30 days, so it costs us another 20 bucks each when we leave, but only if they check the arrival date on the passport.

We recently flew WestJet out of Hamilton, and they paid both the tourist fee upon entry and the departure fee. But always good to have the extra money on hand just is case.

Do note that the penalty fees for overstaying your 30 day tourist visa has basically doubled at every level.

bobk

Not likely that they’re going to miss the arrival date now that everything is on the computer. :-X