Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Need opinions and expertise

My Hubby and I are exploring options. We have been to PC 3 times… and looking to try a new hotel. We are open to Samana and Puerta Plata area as well.
We are looking for:
All Inclusive
Swim Up bar
nice sandy beach
Smaller resort. If you need a golf cart to get around, or it really is 4 resorts in 1 (Grand Bahia, Iberstar, RIU) style it is too big
Budget friendly, we don’t want a $6000 vacation.
No membership or time share pitches
bonus if Adult only or adult (European pool)
Thanks for any help you can give

Barcelo Dominican Beach is small with nice beach. Can’t remember if there were time share folks or not.
We also did not think Caribe Club Princess was too big as all restaurants, pools and rooms were near beach. Fairly long walk to lobby. Nice place.

Have fun!

[quote=@albertagirl0]My Hubby and I are exploring options. We have been to PC 3 times… and looking to try a new hotel. We are open to Samana and Puerta Plata area as well.
We are looking for:
All Inclusive
Swim Up bar
nice sandy beach
Smaller resort. If you need a golf cart to get around, or it really is 4 resorts in 1 (Grand Bahia, Iberstar, RIU) style it is too big
Thanks for any help you can give[/quote]

check this out, great place and reasonable price

[quote=@northernale1][quote=@albertagirl0]My Hubby and I are exploring options. We have been to PC 3 times… and looking to try a new hotel. We are open to Samana and Puerta Plata area as well.
We are looking for:
All Inclusive
Swim Up bar
nice sandy beach
Thanks for any help you can give[/quote]
check this out, great place and reasonable price

http://www.princess-hotels.com/en/hotels-punta-cana-hotel-punta-cana-princess-all-suites-resort-spa-5-stars-services.html[/quote]

The following would be our choice…
The Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo in Samana. Pictures of this resort are shown in the following link. (The Punta Cana Princess is part of a group of 3 resorts and although it seem to be on its own several of the features are shared with the other two sections however I would still recommend it as a good resort to fulfill your needs))

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/370495/

Sirenis Tropical or Sirenis Cocotol are both good resorts. Situated side by side & divided only by a walkway that runs from the Lobby right down to the beach/pool area. You don’t need a golf cart to get around on ! Beach is excellent !
Punta Cana Princess is good & you use the facilities of the Tropical Princess & the Caribe Club Princess which are right next door. Excellent beach area too.

In Puerta Plata area …Iberostar Costa Dorada is good with an excellent stretch of beach. And we also get our money’s worth when staying at either the Riu Merengue or the Riu Bachata…both easily accessible to each other by walking the “5 minute boardwalk”.

I have found a good deal on the Bahia Prinicpe San Jaun… anyone been there?

Personally I went to Bahia Prinicpe chain but in Mexico and service and food and hotels were amazing. Would be interesting to know if in Dominincan Republic is the same.

albertagirl0 …Bahia Principe Rio San Juan is actually on the NORTH COAST & not the Punta Cana/East Coast. BPRSJ is located about 80 minute drive from the Puerta Plata Airport & is what some people classify as “being in the sticks”. We have been there…3x’s, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The food was excellent, our rooms were clean & well kept & the resort itself is quite big. There is a shopping area & some entertainment areas (bars, sports bar etc) that open up at 11pm when the Theatre entertainment is finished at 10:30pm.
The BPRSJ is not known for it’s “lovely” beach. Infact, there seems to be more gripes about this beach than any other in the whole of the D.R.! The BPRSJ is on the Atlantic Ocean side of the D.R. & this area has much more wave activity. And at one time after a real bad storm, alot of the beach area was eroded away. The management of BPRSJ had huge wave breaks installed out past the beach area…they are not the prettiest to look at, but they do do the trick by helping to ease back on the erosion.
I am sure that others will chime in & tell you about their experiences too. If you want additional information, post a new thread in the North Coast forum above.

Thanks… I was aware of the location… it looks like it is the only resort in that small area. I will post another thread in the north and see what I learn