Don’t even know the area of Cuba it’s in
Don’t know the resort
Don’t even know what airport you fly into
but it looks like a pretty nice place
any info on this place and if it really is a 5star
would be appreciated

Regards

Iggy

You land at the Santa Clara airport. RHE is on Cayo Ensenachos, next to Cayo Santa Maria. The area is between Varadero and Cayo Coco.

While I haven’t been to the RHE, I have been to CSM and the people I know who’ve been to the RHE have come back very pleased with their vacation. I believe a few people on this board have been to the RHE, they’ll be able to fill you in.

What kind of vacation are you looking for? The location is pretty remote, and it is best-suited for people looking for a quiet, relaxing beach holiday.

well I kind of like half a vacation of quiet and a little adventure. I don’t mind renting a car or taking an excursion, but I get a little bored sitting on a beach for seven days. Don’t get me wrong, I love the beach, but I like being with the Cuban people too.

I know a couple who’ve been there 3 times. They’re fairly high-end travelers and they love the place.

That said, they’re in their 70’s and want nothing except the isolation and pampering of an all-inclusive resort - they have no interest in ever leaving the front gates except to return to the airport. (She raves about the pedicures, if that gives you an idea of what they’re interested in at the resort…)

“… Don’t get me wrong, I love the beach, but I like being with the Cuban people too…”

Remember, you’re in the middle of nowhere, a long way from any Cubans except the resort workers…

still it sounds very nice, and like I said, I don’t mind renting a car and doing a travel day.
great info so far

Good info on Santa Maria Here: http://www.happyfacescuba.com/forums/index.php?s=b690858eb5f6b3eaf1ae218ddcfc84f2&showforum=5

:slight_smile: Was just chatting with friends who had just come back from their second visit to this resort. They loved it the first time and this last time was a terrible experience for them. :frowning: I’ll try and get some details. ???

As mentioned, it is about a 90 minute drive from the airport (and interesting drive) and quite remote, but beautiful. :-*

[quote=@shirleyujest] :slight_smile: Was just chatting with friends who had just come back from their second visit to this resort. They loved it the first time and this last time was a terrible experience for them. :frowning: I’ll try and get some details. ???

As mentioned, it is about a 90 minute drive from the airport (and interesting drive) and quite remote, but beautiful. :-*[/quote]
I look forward to finding out if it was a specific incident or an overall experience

We were at this resort 1/1/2 years ago and we loved it. The beach here is the nicest in Cuba (except for Cayo Largo) but it is an isolated area. It is the only hotel on this Cayo and the only to be built there. The food and service was top notch. The vegetation was beautiful–it is a 5 star for Cuba. We are quite content to stay at the resort but there are tours availible if you want to see other parts of Cuba. Remedios is one of the towns that most of the staff live in. Santa Clara I believe is the home of Che. The 90 minute drive from the airport is very scenic and quite informative if youg et a good tour guide on the way to the resort. I have some people who have returned to the hotel who have found that it wasn’t up to par with their first trip–but not sure why either. We wouldn’t hesitate to return to the resort and it is in our top 3.

what’s your other two?
Thanks

We love the Sol Pelicano in Cayo Largo and we also really liked the Melia Cayo Santa Maria which is not far from the RHE–about a 10 minute taxi ride. Can’t say as we have been anywhere in Cuba that we were not happy with.

I’ve not been to the RHE, but have been to their beach before the resort was built. Very beautiful, west facing beach (and so sheltered from the prevailing winds). Some snorkelling opportunities and a good walking beach, although a lot shorter than CSM. I would also recommend Melia Cayo Santa Maria, IMHO one of the best resorts in Cuba with many amenities and few bad reviews. Melia guests also have access to Sol next door, so really two resorts for the price of one. I’ve also stayed at Sol Pelicano and loved it, but I think MCSM is a class above Pelicano. :smiley:

The nearest town is Caibarien, which is possibly too much the “real Cuba” for most resort guests.

A little beyond that is a central which has been converted to a museum - and next door is a rum factory.

:slight_smile: We were at RHE in March '08. It is a beautiful resort and as mentioned the beaches are great for just spending the day, swimming, snorkeling and walking. I believe the waters are a bit calmer here than at Santa Maria.

It is true that getting off the resort is not as convenient as Varadero and Guardalavaca but there are excursions offered. We did the day excursion to Remedios and Santa Clara which included a tour of the Che Mausoleum in Santa Clara and it was a really interesting day and a nice break from the beach. We appreciated it as we arrived and departed late at night and so the hour and a half drive was spent in darkness.
Are you familiar with this personal website http://www.royalhideawayensenachos.ca/ created by a very satisfied guest!

Lovely quiet location and smashing beach. Very upscale resort. Two very nice excursions you could do are The Cities Tour (Remedios [lovely!], Caibarien, Santa Clara) and The Catamaran Tour (all day boat excurision with a few snorkel opportunities, deserted island, lobster lunch, drinks all day long - loads of fun).

[quote=@shirleyujest] :slight_smile: Was just chatting with friends who had just come back from their second visit to this resort. They loved it the first time and this last time was a terrible experience for them. :frowning: I’ll try and get some details. ???

As mentioned, it is about a 90 minute drive from the airport (and interesting drive) and quite remote, but beautiful. :-*[/quote]

any word on what the problem was?

:slight_smile: It seems to be that the star rating doesn’t match the level of service and food quality anymore.

My feeling is that if you are paying 4-5* prices you expect a little more. My friends experienced 4-5* service, food and amenities on their previous visit, but did not receive anything at all near to that on this past trip, which was just a month or so ago.

I would agree with some of the other posters, the Melia Cayo Santa Maria is a wonderful resort, now adults only, and from the recent reviews, still as good as ever.

Perhaps food quality may have something to do with availability due to the recent hurricanes that have affected Cuba? :-*