Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Need to Decide.... Never Been

We are in our early 50’s and are thinking of going to Punta Canta this year for the first time. We are not party people although we love a nice piano bar in the evenings. We like the smaller resorts - adults only with a great beach for snokelling and a nice pool. We would prefer to be right on the beach and not have to travel far to get to the beach.

Can anyone suggest some resorts that might be what we are looking for. In Cuba we loved Breezas Jibacoa, Sandals Royal Hicacos and Melia Cayo Santa Maria -

I would recommend you consider thew following resorts (in rank order based upon our opinions):

1. Iberostar Grand Bavaro
  2. Excellence (although not that small)
  3. Grand Palladium Royal Suites Turquesa
  4. Catalonia Royal Bavaro
  5. Punta Cana Princess

for snorkeling… the catalonia or oasis resort in cabeza del toro,… for adults only the p.c. princess or majestic elegance…the beaches are great everywhere but calmer to the south

Hi mercyyme, my wife and i have been to the PC 7 times and going back for our 8th time this feb.

1. we have stayed at the palladium palace 4 times. The palace has 2 sections. The new constructed royal suites(adult only) we were upgraded to the royal suites twice. the older section is villa style with all the rooms being nicely renovated over the last 3 years.The palladium resort is huge but he palace section is small in comparison. everything you need is only a short walk. i would highly recommend this complex as the vegetation is beautiful and food is relatively good. The whole resort has had several renovations over the last few years and is one of my favorite spots. this resort is adjacent to the town of el corticito. Great if you want to get a few cigars or a T shirt. This resort is also walking distance to bavaro plaza.

2. we stayed at the melia caribe once. The food was by far the best food we have had in the DR. i believe they had 9 ala cartes. They were all restaurant quality. The resort is very nice but huge, be prepared to walk a lot. one “con” is that they try to sell time shares all the time. It would not deter me from going back. Because the melia is near calmer ocean than the palladium i feel that they get more seaweed on the beach when the wind picks up, but it is always cleaned up so not a real issue.

I could recommend either of the 2 and it would boil down to price. If the melia and the palladium place royal suites were the same price i would go the the palladium. if palladium palace (regular villa rooms) and the melia were the same price i would go to the melia.

i hope i did not confuse things for you.

riderfan

mercyme specified that they would like an adults-only resort. The Melia is definitely not adults-only.

Neither is the Paradisus PC. But I would highly recommend it anyway.
SIEGS :-*

thanks so much - are the ones recommended in a busy area or are they kind of remote???

Grand Bahia Principe Ambar was quiet. Adults only. We’re 48 and 51yrs old.
Piano in the evening lobby bar, and everything shuts down around 11pm. No partiers~so, no noisy drunks in the hallway at night.

Beach was beautiful, and long. Water was beautiful. Very clean.

Haven’t been anywhere else in Punta Cana, just there, so can’t give any other suggestions.

Just got back this past Friday the 2nd.

Any questions, let me know, I’d be glad to share info.

D