Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

New Canada Customs rules

This may or may not be the place to ask this but here goes anyway.
Canada has adopted some new rules and new dollar limits for traveling and coming back to Canada.
Has this increase been made to cigars and booze brought back after seven days?
And how picky are they on the seven day thing, lets say you travel on a Saturday night but come home the following Saturday morning, do they still count that as seven days. Lets say you go to the US for an overnight, does that count as 24 hours or do you actually have to be gone the full 24 hours

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

So from the looks of that link, you must be out of Canada MORE than 24 hours, or MORE than 7 days to qualify for the exemptions

Yup, that has always been the case. One second over the time limit and you’re golden.

Yes, has to be the full 48hrs for example to be able to bring back the $800 limits. And they know exactly when you crossed or entered.

Booze and cigs were not changed at all with this last limit change of course.

Government only loses approx 13% on your shopping goods, but probably loses close to 50% on your booze purchases down there, so no way they are ever going to let you bring more back.

so if my flight to Cuba is Saturday night, and my flight back is Saturday morning, I don’t get the seven day exemption?
I’m sure this happens all the time

not sure, I know on the 48hr, they are very particular about it…

that being said, from what I remember, the liquor, cigs and duty free allowance are the same whether over the 48 hr mark or the 7 day mark…

Looks like you will be ok…but that being said, the 48hr is the same as the 7 days…

“To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter but not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.”

That is right from the CBSA site…

quote To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter but not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.

Therefore, if I go for an overnight it is considered 24 hours, or two days on the calendar it’s considered 48 hours.
It looks like the 48 hours and the seven days have the same limits