Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

New Tourist Card

Just recieved the tourist card from the Dominican Embassy here in the UK. Very different from the green form . This one credit card size and nothing to fill in . Has anyone from the UK or elsewhere received them and used them without having to fill in another form on arrival ?

We just returned from Punta Cana and the tourist card thing was an absolute fiasco. We had filled in the ‘old’ green cards completely. They took these from us and gave us the little credit card size one. They then directed us to another desk where they gave us the ‘new’ blue forms to fill in. No flat space to do this of course…
Once filled in, they took the forms and stapled, (yes stapled) the card into our passports.
On departure, they gave us the same blue forms and had us fill them in again. They took them and the little card as we exited the country.
There was an address provided for feedback, and you can believe they will hear from me!

Sounds very complicated. I wonder if they are just in transition right now and once everybody has the new cards that the process will be smoother.

New procedure = confusion
Things should smooth out shortly.
bfc

Just returned from Punta Cana, 7 people went on three different flights, We were with Air Transat and received the new blue forms on the plane, 2 each, the old green forms were in our ticket package, and we filled them all in on the plane. Upon arrival, there is a new desk (after the picture girls) where you give them your green forms in exchange for the new credit card sized ones. I believe they will cost 10 USD if you don’t have a green form to exchange. At the customs desk they will take one blue form, the other is to be kept for leaving, but nobody ever took the second blue form, we still have them. The smaller credit card sized form was taken from us when we left, along with 20 USD each. It is bar coded and was scanned upon leaving the DR. Our friends were on Skyservice, two different flights, they did not receive the new blue forms on the plane and had to go through the hastle of filling them in at the airport. This was our ninth trip to the D.R., most confusing yet, but the bottom line is we all ended up at the resort and had our usual great time! I’m sure the process will be steam lined over time, but then again, maybe not! Any questions, ask away ;D

We’re leaving on Jan 4, and flying with Air Transat. I asked our travel agent the other day about our tickets etc., as usually we get them well ahead of time. She stated that…

“Your documents have been issued but not sent out yet as the Dominican has
a new tourist card for the departures starting Jan 1/06 and the tour
operator hasn’t received them yet.”

It’s interesting that “gtcouple” received their forms on the plane and also flew with Air Transat. Our tour operator is Nolitours (formerly World of Vacations). Does this mean the tour operators all have different policies about these tourist cards?

We were also with nolitours, booked with holiday market travel

We only recieved the credit sized white card . No other forms to fill in so will probably have to fill those in when we get there. We’re going in Feb. so hopefulyy they will have sorted it all out by then. Interestingly it says $10 exit fee !

Annette

[quote author=jediknight board=general thread=1134839302 post=1134994911]We only recieved the credit sized white card . No other forms to fill in so will probably have to fill those in when we get there. We’re going in Feb. so hopefulyy they will have sorted it all out by then. Interestingly it says $10 exit fee !

Annette[/quote]
I’d still recommend having $20US each ready just in case - government fees going down, don’t bet on it - LOL.

[quote author=jediknight board=general thread=1134839302 post=1134994911]We only recieved the credit sized white card . No other forms to fill in so will probably have to fill those in when we get there. We’re going in Feb. so hopefulyy they will have sorted it all out by then. Interestingly it says $10 exit fee !

Annette[/quote]
I’m 99.973% sure that the $10 is for that card.
The exit fee is still $20 (as of last Friday).

Oh, and I tried the feedback address printed on the card. It appears to be a dead link.
This is my surprised look :o

Gregg, Iread somewhere that the exit fee was going up to $25USD, do you know anything about this?

hula,

The way I understand that this was handled is that the hidden taxes built into the airline rickets increased $2.50US both coming and going as of Nov. 1 and this is the increase that they were speaking of earlier this year. It is supposed to be of temporary duration (Yeah right, I’ll believe that when I see it) so this was how they decided to handle it.

We were in PC from Dec 1 -15. We received the old green cards with our travel vouchers from Air Transat (Nolitours). Arrived in DR with green cards completed, stood in on line for 10 minutes before being directed to the center square open counter. There traded the green cards for the little credit card size slips, then back into the first line again. We were eventually handed the blue forms to complete. I believed the credit card size forms were replacement to prove payment of the original $10, and the blue form not available until payment of same at the square open desk or via credit card size document in exchange for green card.

Upon departure, we had to pay $20 each exit fee, complete a form similar to the blue form above and present it together with the small credit card forms to clear emmigration.

In all cases, we had to observe what others were doing and ask for the required forms. Immigration officers were very busy and there was lots of vague pointing…Air Transat check in staff for departure forgot to give us the “departure” form to complete and we had to clear the first security check twice.

So the changes are a work in progress, but I always pack my patience when dealing with foreign bureaucracies…no harm done!!

So I guess I should add a pen or two to my packing list then. Sounds like it’s a bit complicated right now. Maybe I’ll be lucky and it’ll be sorted out in the next 19 days!

Ditto, Bryan. My head was spinning reading this thread. The real thing should be fun.

We are leaving on Jan 4…flying Air transat, booked through Nolitours…we received the new credit card sized tourist cards with our tickets along with a “notice”…that effective jan 1/06 all passengers to the D.R. must be inpossession of one of there cards and that we will receive a form to fill out while on the plane to include with our tourist card for submission to Customs upon arrival to the D.R. On our “itinerary”…it states that there will be a $20 (cash) departure tax…and that this is subject to change without prior notice.
So…keep a pen handy and don’t spend all your money shopping as you never know exactly what it might cost to leave…Happy vacationing!! :smiley:

Bryan
Add the pen(s) in your carry on for sure. You’ll need one on the way down to fill out the APIS forms (Advanced Passenger Information System) and on the plane on the way back to Canada to fill out the Canada Customs/immigration forms.