Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

No Cadecas in Cayo Coco?

Just read a post on someone returning from Colonial Cayo Coco saying that there are no cadecas to be found in Cayo Coco. This can’t possibly be true? Anyone have any details?

Have stayed twice in Cayo Coco. Both resorts just exchanged at the desk and no receipt. No Cadeca’s in the Cayo Coco area at all. Closest place would be Moron I am guessing which is a ways away.

I also visited 2 other properites as well, and they as well just did exchange at the desk.

Nothing on Cayo Coco but resorts, seperated by a causeway from the mainland. Noone works or really lives in Cayo Coco but the resort workers as far as I know.

But Cayo Coco is the same as Cayo Santa Maria and all the resorts there have a Cadeca. 94CUC per $100. is a pretty bad exchange rate. IMHO a rip-off when a Cadeca was paying 97 at the time.

Colonial had a door labelled Cadeca but was now used for something else. I just don’t understand the policy but as said - Cuba, eh.

I just noticed a thread on Trip Advisor that appears to indicate they are closing the cadecas in Santa Lucia as well. Do I sense a trend here? Wonder what is up with that?

94 isn’t a great rate when Cdn = 1.02 USD. The Cadeca would be 96.5 or so, eh?

Cad was at 99.60 to the USD when the last message was posted. Doesnt take long for it to swing a couple cents each way.

One or two CUC’s off per hundred really doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Gas stations right across the street from each other do that to you and they advertise their rates!..lol

Read on another forum that Tryp was paying 97 at the same time Colonial was paying 94. I agree a few cents is no a deal breaker however, if the trend of bad rates, no receipt, no posted rates continues there will be even greater abuse in the future. I can choose to go to a more expensive gas station at home but in Cuba, your choice is to pay the extra or pay for the cab ride into town, which in our case was $30+ one way.

You also have the choice of vacationing in another country.

Even come to El Salvador where the US dollar is used & there is nowhere to change your Canadian money, only withdraw at an ATM.

First off, this situation was discussed under another thread so why a new thread needed to be started on the same subject… ???

http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cubageneral&action=display&thread=20308

Secondly, Vagabond, since this is a Cuba forum, perhaps a suggestion regarding a different vacation locale in Cuba rather than another country. If you want to promote El Salvador, please use that particular forum. Perhaps you could start a thread there explaining the joys & perks of money exchange in that country.
Thanks.

Update on the Santa Lucia cadeca situation. I have heard they will be putting one in the commercial centre, presumably for all the hotels to use. Wonder if that is what is afoot in Cayo Coco, and perhaps elsewhere as well?

The resorts at Santa Lucia are close enough together that it would make sense but Cayo Coco would be a bit of a walk, depending upon where it is. At least it would give people a choice. Trying to exchange at the airport with people waiting on the bus is not a good solution.

I think Cuba is trying to do what all US Airlines are doing, make extra money on all the little items that people need. I’ve noticed that rum is much higher than it used to be and the 3 duty free outlets at the airport were all different prices from each other on the rum I was looking at. The cheapest was at the resort store. Buyer beware.

[quote=@steffiej]First off, this situation was discussed under another thread so why a new thread needed to be started on the same subject… ???

.[/quote]

Let’s be a bit more tolerant please.

This thread was started by a relatively new member. Clearly the wider topic of cadencas all over Cayo Coco was on her mind. No harm done! Let’s give her a welcome rather than a reprimand.

The other thread was specific to a particular resort in Cayo Coco. In all honestly I would probably have started a new thread too.

Thank you for your input, YVRck, but if you read the link to the original thread, thoroughly, you will see that the discussion branched off to involve all of Cayo Coco not just the one resort. The OP on this thread could have jumped right in on that discussion and all of this information would have been under one umbrella rather than split. In fact, the title of this thread was part of the discussion on the other thread! Also, the money thread has been updated to reflect the situation in Cayo Coco and, based on incoming information from other posters, will be updated, accordingly, for this and any other resort area.
I’ll be sure to send the new member a pm welcoming her to Debbie’s.

[quote=@steffiej]First off, this situation was discussed under another thread so why a new thread needed to be started on the same subject… ???

http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cubageneral&action=display&thread=20308

Secondly, Vagabond, since this is a Cuba forum, perhaps a suggestion regarding a different vacation locale in Cuba rather than another country. If you want to promote El Salvador, please use that particular forum. Perhaps you could start a thread there explaining the joys & perks of money exchange in that country.
Thanks.[/quote]

The way I interpreted dax’s response was that he/she was dissatisfied with Cuba because of the money exchange & was considering another country to vacation.

I used El Salvador as a tongue-in-cheek example of another country where Canadian money can not be changed, so perhaps Cuba wasn’t so bad after all.

I definitely wasn’t promoting another country on the Cuba forum nor was I bashing Cuba as the OP (in my interpretation) was.

*meant the OP of post #6 not the thread sorry for any confusion

Actually, I even got confused as the OP was steffiei as opposed to steffiej. Read it fast and thought it was a bit odd that steffie was starting a new thread but WTH. We’re in big trouble if there’s a dox or vagaband that signs up. ???

In answer to Vagabond, I would consider any destination that is safe, warm and cheap. I think Canada should add another province in the Caribbean and have one week free for all Cdns.

We should give all posters a bit of latitude as many are suffering from frozen brains & body parts right now- except vagabond. He’s a devil. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:
I’m off to cut wood and chop water for the afternoon. :o

[quote=@vagabond][quote=@steffiej]First off, this situation was discussed under another thread so why a new thread needed to be started on the same subject… ???

Thanks.[/quote]

The way I interpreted dax’s response was that he/she was dissatisfied with Cuba because of the money exchange & was considering another country to vacation.

I used El Salvador as a tongue-in-cheek example of another country where Canadian money can not be changed, so perhaps Cuba wasn’t so bad after all.

I definitely wasn’t promoting another country on the Cuba forum nor was I bashing Cuba as the OP (in my interpretation) was.

*meant the OP of post #6 not the thread sorry for any confusion[/quote]

Dear Vagabond - you are just going to have to stick your tongue further into your cheek to ensure no misunderstandings ;D ;D. As for confusion…none whatsoever ??? :wink:

Dax, you aren’t the first to notice the similarity of the username and I’ve received pm’s where members have confused me for the poster. Even I did a double take on the first post I saw on the forum. I’d been off a couple of days and someone sent me a message asking why I was suddenly posting about Cayo Coco. ??? ??? I popped onto the forum and thought: what - I didn’t post this and then I noticed it wasn’t me ::slight_smile: :P.
As you say, it would get really confusing if a lot of new members start creating usernames almost identical to existing ones.
steffieJ :slight_smile:

I remember an initiative in the 1970s to try to have the Turks and Caicos Islands added as a Canadian province. ;D

Renewed again in 2004:

Why would they not be interested in doing that??

It’s a win win in my opinion. Imagine the tax revenue for the government with all the Canadians that would travel there during the winter!!

Maybe by the time I am ready to retire, it will be an option…one can dream…

[quote=@monctonguy]Why would they not be interested in doing that??
.[/quote]

It would make sense ???