Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Non-Smoking coming?

Just got out tickets for next weeks trip to Panama. The following statement was included in our Nolitours package

…“Effective January 24, 2008 all hotels in Panama are non-smoking. The only areas designated for smoking are: room balconies, and the beach. No smoking is permitted in all other areas including the rooms, bars, restaurants, and lobby area. Non compliance to this law will be subject to a fine…”

Wonder how long until the DR follows suit…

[quote=@byerbill]Just got out tickets for next weeks trip to Panama. The following statement was included in our Nolitours package

…"Effective January 24, 2008 all hotels in Panama are non-smoking. The only areas designated for smoking are: room balconies, and the beach. No smoking is permitted in all other areas including the rooms, bars, restaurants, and lobby area. Non compliance to this law will be subject to a fine…"

Wonder how long until the DR follows suit…[/quote]

Don’t hold your breath…

Grupo León Jimenes, C. por A. is a powerful force in the DR and unless they are on board, I can’t see it happening.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

[quote=@byerbill]Just got out tickets for next weeks trip to Panama. The following statement was included in our Nolitours package

…"Effective January 24, 2008 all hotels in Panama are non-smoking. The only areas designated for smoking are: room balconies, and the beach. No smoking is permitted in all other areas including the rooms, bars, restaurants, and lobby area. Non compliance to this law will be subject to a fine…"

Wonder how long until the DR follows suit…[/quote]

Hopefully soon

I don’t smoke, never have, don’t really like the smell either… but what I like less is too much government telling me what to do. I love the DR for basic freedom’s it has. e.g. smoke or drink just about anywhere.

I know as the years go by we’re smarter (yes smoking is bad for you, as is second hand smoke), Heck 40yrs ago seat beats didn’t exist and now they do so we’re safer. I hope if they change the rules its for their own learned reasons and not from us (tourists) and an ever growing conservative world.

IMHO PJ

I dont smoke either never have and i agree with you 100% PJ

Have to say I also totally agree.

Also if this does happen, what next you can’t walk the beach with a beer in hand:(

Oh I hate to bring bad news { but } a couple weeks ago on dominican today not sure of start date no smoking bars and restaurants…Also today on cnn 3rd that is 3rd hand smoke is very bad for you, that is, you know the stink on smokers when they come back in and you can smell them, loaded with toxins. You know I don’t like the government sticking it’s nose into everything, but some people think their right to a smoke is more important then my health. I wonder how long till these people who zip out side for a quick smoke are not allowed back in.

I also would be thrilled if smoking was not allowed. I am an ex smoker who,prior to quiting 9 years ago, was smoking 2 packs a day and had smoked for 24 years.
I have not had a puff since. I actually do not mind people smoking around me but what I can’t stand is those who blow smoke in my face when I am eating and I have even seen some at the buffet line up with lit cigarettes hanging from their mouth.

I found a similar statement to the one posted above posted on another site (San Andres by Big Juice). Both are Nolitour destinations.

*********************** NON-SMOKING HOTELS IN SAN ANDRES**********************
EFFECTIVE MAY 30, 2008 ALL HOTELS IN SAN ANDRES ARE NON-SMOKING. THE ONLY
AREAS DESIGNATED FOR SMOKING ARE: ROOM BALCONIES AND THE BEACH.
NO SMOKING IS PERMITTED IN ALL OTHER AREAS INCLUDING THE ROOMS, BARS,
RESTAURANTS AND LOBBY AREA.
NON COMPLIANCE TO THIS LAW WILL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE.

I’m wondering if this is a Nolitours policy or a new law in both these countries.

I am hoping they don’t follow that…as a non-smoker, but one who enjoys smoking when away on vacations I think that it would be bad if they step in to do that.

I agree that the restaurants and even in an enclosed area it would make sense, but in outside areas such as the beach, pools, etc there is no reason to ban it…I am guessing the average person in Toronto breathes in more fumes from cars than 2nd hand smoke…lets ban them tomorrow too.

Perhaps a compromise would be that some resorts would be smoke free for those that just can’t bear to be around any smoke, while the rest of the resorts would still allow smoking in certain areas…

I’m another ex smoker, did quit because I hated the smell of cigarette…
The smoke is bothering me more than ever. I never did smoke in the house or in car.
I don’t like when the government telling what you can and should do. That was in communism, which institution failed!
But in the same time to seat at the restaurant and having breakfast or dinner and one meter from you someone puffing the smoke on your face… Maybe you have children with you. Should be mandatory two sections in the restaurant.
Now in some places the restaurants are closed (most are without walls and are better) and not sufficient ventilation. That is bad.
In our last vacation the theatre was air conditioned, and smoking allowed. We stay once about 10 minutes…
Also was the lobby bar the same, after 9 pm you can cut the smoke.
End a couple years ago in the non smoking section of the hotel we couldn’t enjoy the balcony, because the next one was the meeting place for a group of 15-20 people, and always was at least 4-5 on the balcony smoking, and the wind did share with us the enjoyment of the tobacco smoke.
I could imagine some ocean flavored breeze instead.

Hi there,

Yep, I used to smoke too… Yeh, the smoke bothers me but I manage. :-/It’s about all the butts being put out on lobby floors, in hallways and by the pool. That bothers me more… There is a law that has gone through in the DR about not smoking in bars and restaurants but I imagine that it is being inforced just like the winter tire law in Quebec? LOL… Got my tires. Just annoyed that people still drive like bozos on slippery roads.

Thanks for listening!

This non smoking thing is getting long in the tooth…every one knows it’s not healthy…so let’s not beat an already dead horse, think about this…every time you start the engine to your car…or truck…how many toxins do you think you put into the atmosphere…better yet how many toxins are put into the atmosphere by the aircraft we take to the DR every year…take a look at the Toronto sky line on a sunny day…you think that’s all from smokers…every one has thier contrubution to our over toxicated atmosphere…

Enough from me…oh by the way…I use to be a smoker…now I’m just a general pain in the A$$…lol

That was funny EskimoNFlip :stuck_out_tongue:

So there IS a law that you can’t smoke in bars or resturants in the DR?..I am guessing it doesn’t apply to the resorts then or has something changed since I was there last?

Hi Monctonguy,

Apparently there is… See below. However, i wouldn’t be too worried about it…

Cheers!

I know smoking is bad for you whether it is first,second or even third hand smoke. Being a victim of this smoking, lung cancer, I found it was just about the worst thing a person could do. However there are so many products that the government says we should stay away from such as to much alcohol, red meat, certain types of paint and the list goes on and will expand every day I’m sure. I personally don’t mind people smoking around me but like another poster stated I do object to it being blown in my face. There are several very nice resorts in the DR that have non-smoking restaurants just for people who want nothing to do with that habit.

Your probably right about the enforcement, just like the under 18 in the bar,strictly enforced anyone under the age of 18 without enough peso’s to buy a drink will not get served…

so does this apply to the resorts as well?? or are they under different rules??..From what I have read in reviews there is still lots of smoking areas on the resorts…those laws apply to bars/resturants off the resorts?