I am planning my 4th trip to the DR, and have been to Punta
Cana, La Romana, and Juan Dolio…never been to the north
coast. I would like to try something new, and would love to
see the mountains, but some travelling with us have never
been to the caribbean and need to see a great beach and
are not real keen on waves. Could you please send me a
few comments on the beach conditions and surf? They
want beach volleyball and a work-out room also. We’re
looking at either the Bahia San Juan or the Riu Merengue.
Thanks! You guys are a wealth of information!

I stayed at the Bahia two years ago and loved it. The beach wasnt as nice as PC but it was good. They have man made breaks out in the water that help to keep the waves down. Im not keen on waves either and I`m not the best swimmer but I had no problems. They do have beach volleyball and a gym. We loved everything about the resort. I think the only downfall would be that it is a bit isolated if you are the type that likes to go off resort on your own and wander around…There are tons of excersions offered that you can take though, or you could always grab a cab into one of the near by towns.

i like the north for the choices it gives you… you have very different beaches in each area. The water is more dark blue and brown sugar colored sand. The water can have a big surf and undertow depending on the location. In playa doada complex and costa dorada i find it to be the best. sousa is whiter sand and bluer water and caberete is rougher and darker sand and water then them all. There is so much to do in these area, visiting many towns, shopping, restaurants, etc the scenery is beautiful!

I agree. If your prime concern is the beach, them maybe, just maybe, the north coast is not for you. The beaches are nice, but not superb by any stretch of the imagination. But there are many other factors. We vacation on the north coast yearly …

We always enjoyed Iberostar Costa Dorada. Nice mountain views right at resort. It is also my understanding that the beach has been improved since my last time there in 2006. We had enjoyed the beach before the improvement. Lots to do in the area and they had a permanent beach volley court set up right outside our building.
However as you can see by our ticker below we went to PC for the first time in 2007 and have been returning since as we love the beaches there.
ICD is still our favorite resort…we just love the beaches in PC…You can’t go wrong at either location!
Just my dos pesos.

The beach @ the Riu’s POP is brown sand, ocean is not aqua blue as in PC. Other than that, POP is great value for the $ - oh yes, and the ocean is warm - whatever colour it is. (ditto the sand)
Enjoy.

We enjoy the Playa Dorada area , waves can be an issue depending where you are located, My own experience is that the eastern ( east of Paradise point) section has less waves. We find this side of the island more down to earth and relaxing…that of course is just my opinion.

Don’t know about the beaches at the various resorts but the most beautiful beach we have been to on the north coast is Playa Grande. About a mile long and there couldn’t have been more than 30 people on the entire beach when we were there.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the help.
I believe we will return to the Punta Cana area this
time = although there will definately be a next time!
I have got to see the mountain area and the north
coast at some point in my life. Still trying to figure
out a way to afford more trips to DR per year! Where
there’s a will there’s a way - and there’s a will!

Charris - we just returned from the Bahia last week. We enjoyed the resort but the beach was a little disappointing. We did however hire a taxi for the day. We visited Playa Caleton - about 10 - 15 minute drive from the Bahia and Playa Grande about another 5 minutes out. Both are beautiful beaches. Caleton - nice and calm for swimming. Grande - a little more open and had great waves for surfing and boogie boarding.

I’m sure this Bahia isn’t as nice as the Bahia’s in the Punta Cana area but we felt it was good value for the money we spent.