Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Not Just Tourists

Are they still around
Going to Cuba in late Feb and have room
Ottawa area

Here is their Ottawa email address.

NJT.Ottawa@gmail.com

I got a hold of them, they got a hold of me, and for the third time I think I’ll be carrying their luggage

Good stuff, iggy 1 They can use the help.

We’re looking for some folks who might go to DR (just for a change) this year.
Have Documents for humanitarian extra baggage and an orphanage that really needs some help.
Anybody going to DR, PM me.

Got my suitcase and letters, adding some Ibuprofen and Tylenol and ready to go. Too bad it’s more than a month away, but I’m ready
Thanks for the help and the Ottawa NJT is still going strong

[quote=@iggy1]Got my suitcase and letters, adding some Ibuprofen and Tylenol and ready to go. Too bad it’s more than a month away, but I’m ready
Thanks for the help and the Ottawa NJT is still going strong[/quote]
Be careful. You should not add anything to the bag unless they authorize it. That’s how NJT Toronto got into trouble…mules adding their own stuff to the bags.

We’ve been told by NJT not to call ourselves mules, gives them a bad connotation, or so I’ve been told, second, we add legal drugs like ibuprophen or Tylenol. All of the hospitals and clinics love this stuff because they have a hard time getting it. It’s legal in both Cuba and Canada. Whether we add this to the bag here, or include it once we get there is really not an issue, this is our fourth time doing it and it’s never been an issue, the only issue we’ve ever had was when there were syringes in the bag. It was cleared up in no time though
What exactly is happening here, are they closing shop?

Thanks to Zee for keeping this forum alive. I know the BTBCF folks on the DR Forum are relieved, too.

If you have time, get a Spanish translation for the drugs you are carrying and what they are used for. We had a real challenge many years ago and if there was a Spanish translation inside it might have helped. Other observation is be cautious of expiry dates. even though we all know an ASA is good for years after the expiry date that is another thing they were checking for. So if there are newer drugs place them on top so they , if they inspected, they are seen 1st.

I believe that is the issue that got NJT Toronto into trouble. Cuban authorities take such things very seriously. When I took my 3rd (and last) bag down, they opened it and examined every single item, making copious notes. This was shortly before NJT Toronto stopped sending bags, because of all the hassles people were having getting them through customs. I know that people had been adding in their own meds to the bags, against NJT instructions, and that might just have started the ball rolling. If you take additional items, please do not include them in the bag!

As far as calling carriers “mules”, sure it has unpleasant connotations, but it’s a handy short form and is used a lot on forums when folks are looking for someone to take a package for them.

If you don’t mind being called a “mule” the[a href=“http://spankyproject.org”] Spanky Project[/a] could use your help in getting veterinary supplies to Cuba.
OK if you don’t want to be called a mule I won’t. :wink:

Radar, have you got everything sorted out now with the Cuban authorities. I will definitely take more supplies next time. Are you set up in Varadero now as well?

Cubamiga, we are still struggling with the Institute of Veterinary Medicine (IMV) to get approval for drugs, medications and anaesthetics.
Much of this needs to travel with a licensed veterinarian. This is why we had to cancel two trips last year.
Other supplies can be carried by any traveller.
In Varadero we are collaborating with APAC-Varadero. The are happy to accept, in Varadero, supplies for Spanky Project in Havana.

Ok, good to know as we may do Varadero next trip. Will think positive thoughts that things will get better with the IMV.

Same here T.

[quote=@radar]If you don’t mind being called a “mule” the[a href=“http://spankyproject.org”] Spanky Project[/a] could use your help in getting veterinary supplies to Cuba.
OK if you don’t want to be called a mule I won’t. :wink:

[/quote]

I don’t mind being called a mule, I called myself one and NJT asked me to refrain from calling it that. I would have brought a vet bag down but I’ve already got a NJT bag.