Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

October Weather

Hello to all,
We are considering travelling to DR ( East coast ) in October. We usually travel there in May but are unable to take the children out of school this time. Can anyone tell me what weather to expect. I appreciate that it changes daily but are we likely to encounter any serious weather conditions such as hurricanes.
Any help appreciated.
Jason

Your guess is as good as mine.
Hurricane season officially ends in November. Could be a peaceful October, could be a bumpy October…??

Yes, Wendy’s right. We were in Punta Cana last Oct, and the weather was very hot, no rain, until the day we were leaving. Planes were delayed for 8 hours, due to storms, so we ended up at the hotel for an extra day. That was the week one of the hurricanes hit Mexico. You never know.
But the resort was not crowded, and that was nice. Booking the ala carts was easy, took only a couple of minutes. I personally would go again in October, but you run the risk of a hurricane hitting.

Not to rain on your parade but hurricane season will be starting shortly. Predictions are for an increase in hurricanes and tropical storms this year. North coast does not seem to get them as much as other areas. You could check out the site that relates to your question. Sorry, but I can’t remember it but another poster may be able to help you out. Good luck.

i looked at the hurricane in Dominican (North Coast) as we have booked to go in June this year. we found that Dominican last hurricane was in 1998. most of the time they just get tropical storms. this applies to most of the north ant the east. The south usually are worst hit.

Here it what i found out

The Caribbean hurricane season lasts from June 1 to November 30. August and September are the months when most hurricanes have hit. The greatest threat to the Dominican Republic comes from hurricanes. The major resorts have become adept at getting back on their feet quickly after a hurricane, as evidenced by the quick rebound from the devastation of Hurricane Georges (1998).

Still, if a hurricane hits the country before your trip, you might want to call ahead and make sure your room is still standing…

What about Hurricane Season?

The Caribbean hurricane season lasts from June 1 to November 30. In the past 125 years the DR has never been hit by a hurricane in June, the first month of the hurricane season. Records show only four tropical storms or hurricanes have affected the DR in July. August and September are the months when most hurricanes have hit.

Hope this helps

Joanne

I was in Punta Cana in Oct of last year and we only had one day of heavy rain. That was when Hurricane Wilma hit the South Coast but had no impact besides rain on the East Coast. The weather is unpredictable therefore you will have to take a chance since it is hurricane season. I personally perfered the weather in Oct than Apr.

Hope this helps…

Devika

We went to cuba in October one year and weather was great last year there was a large tropical storm…unless you are getting an awsome deal i would wait til the week before and watch the weather…there are always great deals to be had in the fall