Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Orlando vs Varadero?

As I expect you Know Orlando Florida’s summer season for tourism is the best in North America due to to theme parks. Should Cuba get into theme parks ??? If so what type ???

If that happens, I will no longer be interested in going to Cuba. Why bother??

I’d be selling my shares in the Florida Theme Parks, right about now.

Why oh why would they do this? I love the quietness of Cuba. Why ruin it with theme parks? Don’t you parents have enough of them throughout Canada and the US?

Why on earth would anyone want a theme park in Cuba? Gordon - you’ve been bringing up that subject on various forums for years and the answer is always the same - NO!! Why do you persist on asking …a theme park would ruin Cuba for millions of people and their tourism $$$ would stop …IMHO. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, tourism $$$ will NOT stop flowing just because Cuba might decide to build a large theme park in the future. They already have a few small ones btw.

No one is obligated or being forced to visit such a theme park on their Cuban vacation if/when one is developed. Many families build their vacations around a theme park:- think Disney, LegoLand, Canada Wonderland, etc. It’s possibly a draw to bring more families, especially American families to Cuba.

Having said that, I’m not into theme parks myself and I refuse to take our grandchildren on a theme park vacation but I personally wouldn’t stop going to Cuba because they build one.

Truth is we all like Cuba just the way it is right now and are selfishly hanging on to the hope that nothing changes. Cuba WILL change in the future so we better get used to the idea.

Cuba should promote it’s strengths and the things that make it unique. Why try to emulate and compete with other destinations, especially when they are unlikely to do as good a job of it. Seems like a horrible business plan to me.

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@cubajunkie][/quote]Honestly, tourism $$$ will NOT stop flowing just because Cuba might decide to build a large theme park in the future. They already have a few small ones btw.

No one is obligated or being forced to visit such a theme park on their Cuban vacation if/when one is developed. Many families build their vacations around a theme park:- think Disney, LegoLand, Canada Wonderland, etc. It’s possibly a draw to bring more families, especially American families to Cuba.

Having said that, I’m not into theme parks myself and I refuse to take our grandchildren on a theme park vacation but I personally wouldn’t stop going to Cuba because they build one.

Truth is we all like Cuba just the way it is right now and are selfishly hanging on to the hope that nothing changes. Cuba WILL change in the future so we better get used to the idea.[/quote][b]Totally agree.
Cuba’s landmass is -/+equivalent to the State of Florida, where you will find Tampa’s Busch Gardens, Orlando’s Disney, Kissimmee’s Universal Studios & smaller venues… even Cape Canaveral is getting in on the Theme Park “wagon”. There’s plenty of room for what Gordon is predicting, wishfully or not. Personally we go to Florida for the beaches ~ while others we know, when you mention Florida, to them it means “all of the above”. Actually, Florida may be the one state that will benefit (read $$$) the most from the future opening the Cuban Market… (wonder if they know something the rest of the world doesn’t?)…

“The Chamber of Commerce in KeyWest” has been proactive for their own “key” (pun intended :P) survival, and has had on their agenda their interpretation for a vision of the future way back in 2004:

Key West Vision 2020
Five Year Progress Review Draft I May 2004
Vision2020Goal9: A linkage will exist with Cuba for the benefit of KeyWest.
Five Year Progress Report:
The Chamber continues to keep a close eye on Cuba and actively plans for its opening. The new ferry terminal puts Key West in great shape to develop a future ferry linkage from Key West to Cuba. As our airport is an international airport, it also offers a great opportunity for linkage to Cuba in the future. The Chamber has had discussions with private charter companies on the possibility of charter flights from Key West International Airport to Cuba. Open travel is still not likely until Fidel Castro leaves power.
The above is found on page 14…  http://www.keywestchamber.org/keywest2/PDF/Vision_2020_rev_i.PDF

The average American Tourist needs “action”, “stimulation” and a “Vegas Atmosphere”… look at the number of Theme Parks in the US… look at the number of “low income” CruiseLines there are that offer all that & more… and guess what? The most popular ones are the 3-4 day cruises… out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. Cuba’s proximity to the American Mainland has been and always will be one of the main reasons it is coveted. It’s just “a hop and a skip” away… and will start out as their “Walmart” of the Caribbean (as opposed to pricier St.Thomas or Puerto Rico) and compete with Nassau and the Bahamas ~ another nearby “quicky” destination for the average American tourist.

2020 is just a few years away… hold on to your hats folks… change is on the way…
[/b]

I have never once been tempted to visit Florida, mostly because of the theme parks. If Cuba ever became as clogged and congested as Florida, it would be off my list.

[b]Actually, I’d like to add… Look at what Cuba has been doing to get ready for their future… here’s a topic discussed in 2010 regarding why the “Pueblo La Estrella” was built on Cayo Santa Maria all those years ago… this was my response:

********************[i]
“Why not just call it what it is (not sure what the term might be… I’m sure someone could come up with something?)… might even get more people there”… deebob

@ deebob: “Downtown Disney”? :wink:

I agree, to a point, that this artificially produced centre of activities was built, not only to extract pesos, and to be a possible destination (diversion) for the guests of all the island’s resorts, but could it be that it was built for something else too?

The Barcelo is going to be adding still more “resort complexes” to the whole area, plus the new Melia Buenavista is still in an “ongoing” opening mode.

There is still ongoing construction of a dolphinarium (or perhaps it is finished), plus there is the planning of a golf course to be built on one of the nearby cayos, as well.

Not only is the whole area isolated, the weather in December, January & February cannot be guaranteed ideal “beach temperatures” for people. This “pueblo” concept does indeed give people a choice of activities nearby.

However, back to my point of it being built for a different reason. My opinion, of course, is that the Cubans are thinking more “long-term” and getting ready for the future. Think about how long it took to build the causeway - 15 years - that took a lot of “foresight” to conceive and build. Now, think of all the future cruise-ships (there is one circumventing the island right now) with the need for “excursions” to sell.

To quote Kurtsoma: “Anyone who thinks they’ll be getting a “real Cuba” experience by going to the Pueblo doesn’t know very much about Cuba.”

Exactly! Abolutely correct!

But… there would be “hordes” of Cruise Tourists, with their wallets wide open (they aren’t doing “all inclusive”) ready to visit what they will consider “Cuba” to do the shopping, bowling, restaurants, swim with the dolphins, golf, or buy a “day-pass” to one of the nearby resorts for an all-inclusive boozy beach day. There could also be a whole parking centre where busses, taxis and private tour operators pick-up tourists for whole day excursions off the cayo, to the cities of Remedios, Santa Clara, etc. Think of St.Maarten, St.Thomas, Samana and other islands with artificial wharf side shopping centres, emphasis on “artificial”. The future reality of Cuba! 8-(

I could go on… but I think my point is made. Of course, these are just my thoughts.[/i]

The sad fact is, the island of Cayo Santa Maria has since opened more hotels, with another (Valentin Perla Blanca) ready to open in November’14. Not to mention what Normand & Lilly are saying about other cayos being built up past Cayos Coco & Guillermo… Cayo Paredon and Cayo Cruz… for their prediction of the possible lifting of the US embargo…

http://www.cayocococuba.net/projects.html
[/b]

I enjoy the Orlando area. Just because there are theme parks there, doesnt mean you have to go or that there is nothing else to do besides theme parks.

Same would be true in Cuba. If they wanted to build a theme park, it is really not going to affect my vacation 99% of the time. On the flip side, would more families vacation there because of a theme park in Cuba…I am not sure.

I’ve always avoided the bigger tourist areas of Cuba. I’ve never visited Varadero and never will. I went to Cayo Santa Maria years ago when there were only three hotels on the island. Walking along endless beaches with no one in sight was a pleasure. Well, that was then, and now it’s almost wall to wall hotels the whole length of the cayo. My previous experience will never be repeated in that area, so I won’t go back.

My favorite areas have been Jibacoa, Marea del Portillo and other quieter locations where there are lots of forests and wild areas with people actually living in the area.

The thought of theme parks popping up nearer the larger tourist centers just makes them more undesirable to me.

The whole place is changing way to fast. I’m sure as far as tourism goes, it’s proabably going to be a money maker, but it doesn’t interest me.

When I want to go to see theme parks or crazy things I travel to Las Vegas and Orlando. When I want to have relaxing and nice vacation away from crazy theme parks I go to Cuba.

[quote=@gardengal][b]
To quote Kurtsoma: “Anyone who thinks they’ll be getting a “real Cuba” experience by going to the Pueblo doesn’t know very much about Cuba.”

[/b][/quote]

Well I haven’t changed my mind since I said that in 2010.

Cuba may decide to go the theme-park route but does anyone seriously think they can compete with Disney et al? Perhaps in the future but certainly not any time soon. I said it earlier; Cuba should concentrate on it’s strengths and differentiate itself from other destinations. Ask yourself why we and millions of others love it, despite it’s warts. Investments need to be made and from a business point of view of makes sense to expand on what has been proven to work rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and put themselves onto direct competition with places that have been doing it successfully for far longer. I know that this is what I would do. That’s not to say a Disney-style theme park won’t be built one day but I’d bet on it failing.

a theme park in Cuba is going to ruin all of Cuba
hahahahahahahaha
too much
did Canada’s Wonderland ruin Canada?
Come on, if Cuba was to decide to build a theme park, it wouldn’t hurt Cuba because it would take them 50 years to think about it, decide, build and get it operational

Where would the money come from? Top class roller coasters cost around $20 million to build.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
Outside investors, like the Canadian hockey players that were the original operators of El Senador in Cayo Coco

[quote=@iggy1][quote=@bellagio]Where would the money come from? Top class roller coasters cost around $20 million to build.[/quote]Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
Outside investors, like the Canadian hockey players that were the original operators of El Senador in Cayo Coco
[/quote][b]Don’t forget China:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/the-deal-magazine/chinese-tourists-lured-by-beaches-and-theme-parks-are-also-buying-real-estate/story-e6frgabx-1226832598939[/b]

[quote=@iggy1]a theme park in Cuba is going to ruin all of Cuba
hahahahahahahaha
too much
did Canada’s Wonderland ruin Canada?
Come on, if Cuba was to decide to build a theme park, it wouldn’t hurt Cuba because it would take them 50 years to think about it, decide, build and get it operational[/quote]Canada’s Wonderland isn’t exactly to the same scale as the Disneys! LOL

Theme/amusement parks don’t bother me. The crowds and traffic do. :wink: On Cuba’s beaches there are times when you could swear you are the only person there. You can take beautiful pictures without throngs of cruise ship passengers getting in the way. You can swim as far as you like without getting run over by dive boats or seadoos. It’s quiet. :slight_smile: