Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Ottawa Winterlude

I have a business trip in Ottawa (February 18th - 20th) and found out that there’s a festival called the Winterlude. My colleagues have told me some very good things about the festivities…was able to find a room at the Lord Elgin hotel…should be a good time.

It really is a great thing to visit. Hope the weather co-operates, the only thing that may affect you is bus strike but if you are staying in downtown core you will be fine. Make sure you eat a beavertail, skate on the canal and check out the ice scupltures!! have a blast. ;D

Thanks soccermom - from what I understand the Lord Elgin hotel is downtown…two blocks from my office…so hopefully we’ll get to go down and enjoy the Winterlube during a long lunch break!

We call Beaver Tails…Elephant Ears down here :slight_smile:

I went ounce when my daughter was in colege over there and loved it. These bever tails are something els. Next year I will be going to St-Boniface MB for the Festival des Voyageur in february. My other daughter is over there working for the festival.

I’m sure it will be colder in Ottawa than it is here in Ohio…looking forward to a steaming, chewy Beaver Tail in the cold weather :). I’m a horrible ice skater…

Your hotel is right across from Jacques-Cartier Park which has many ice sculptures and only two blocks from the longest skating rink in the world! There is also a ‘beaver tail’ shop on the canal very close to where you would get on the ice. You don’t need skates if you don’t want to as many people just walk it. It is a wonderful festivale with many things to do and see. Enjoy your time in Ottawa as it’s a beautiful city. If you really want to plan you can visit this Website.

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16297-16298-22877&lang=1

Thanks mcgoo14 - will definitely checkout the link…although I’ll be working 75% of the time…will definitely try and get some time to enjoy the city.

jprcincy
The park across the street from your hotel is called Confederation Park and it is the site of the amazing ice sculptures. Take a short walk to the Byward Market area for restaurants, bars and shopping. Ottawa is a beautiful city.Hopefully you will have a wonderfull time.
W&J

Again this year I will miss it but hope to catch it next year. My son lives in Ottawa and every year we say we will go but when booking a winter vacation do not think of the time frame of the festival. The only sculptures that I will be seeing are the sand sculptures

The only thing wrong with Winter-Loon, is they hold it at the coldest frickin’ time of year here. If they held it in July, I might consider it. :sunglasses:

Tom

[quote=@ottawatom]The only thing wrong with Winter-Loon, is they hold it at the coldest frickin’ time of year here. If they held it in July, I might consider it. :sunglasses:

Tom[/quote]

Just wrote the president of Winterlude…and he is going to have 10000 dump trucks of snow shipped to your house in July from up north …just so you can have winterloon then :slight_smile: hehehehhe

If it keep going like last year the snow may still be here in July.
W&J

J.C. park I believe is in Hull. They do have fun things there too, slides, mazes etc.

Yes J.C. Park is right next door to the Museum of Civilsation (on the Quebec side of the Interprovincial bridge)… they also, usually, have dog sled rides…

Sounds like fun everybody

I sure wish i was an outdoorsy winter kinda person :P.

I used to go with my kids and all we ever did was eat Beavertails… and freeze. lol

Rachel

Would love to try a dog sled ride…sounds fun…

I’m supposed to go up there then and crew with the hot air balloonists that partake in the festival, or at a near by venue…but it is too danged cold for me to be playing with a balloon even if the burners produce 13 million BTU’s each…

EDinNB

[quote=@southernnber]I’m supposed to go up there then and crew with the hot air balloonists that partake in the festival, or at a near by venue…but it is too danged cold for me to be playing with a balloon even if the burners produce 13 million BTU’s each…

EDinNB[/quote]
The Dominicans have a name for those who things like that: “Loco” ;D

Tom

The ice sides in Jacques Cartier park are wonderful - lots of fun to slide down (no toboggan, just sit on your butt and go). The ice sculptures in Confederation park are often spectacular. Beaver tails yummy. IF it happens to be a "warm"weekend we may go to see the sights again this year. To be honest, by the time February comes, winter has lost much of whatever charm it originally had for us.

Oh wait, we will be in POP for the first weekend of Winterlude and will miss the opening events. Oh darn - NOT :wink: