Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Out-of-province medical insurance - not only for Cuba

I was aware of this issue, but I think it’s just wrong that Canadians are not fully covered across the country. Of course, the problem stems from health care being a provincial rather than a federal jurisdiction, but really, there should be some sort of mutual agreement to cover all of our citizens when they are within the country.

We always think about out-of-country…and to add for people travelling to Cuba… to check that Cuba is covered as American companies will not cover Cuban bills of any sort and insurance companies do change their underwriters. But we do tend to forget with our Canadian socialized medicine across Canada that it is a provincially regulated insurance. …thanks for the reminder

Canada does not like it’s citizens to travel, they might lose their rose-coloured glasses & see it as it really is, a country with 10 months of winter, 2 months of mosquito infested poor sledding, governed by a Fascist civil servant dictatorship! (puke)

If you feel so strongly, please renounce your citizenship and leave the rest of us in peace.

As the ‘travelogue’ under each of my posts reads, I have been to many parts of the world and love to enjoy a week or two of sun in the winter. We have actively searched for winter (even permanent) homes but I have found nothing that comes close to my home in Canada and have given up the search.

[quote=@busman7]Canada does not like it’s citizens to travel, they might lose their rose-coloured glasses & see it as it really is, a country with 10 months of winter, 2 months of mosquito infested poor sledding, governed by a Fascist civil servant dictatorship! (puke)
[/quote]

No, really. Tell us what you really think. At least separate the front line service providing civil servant from the bloated bureaucracy/management/politicians. There are some services that should be provided to citizens that ensure an educated, food and water safety, health care system that doesn’t just benefit the rich. Lol

[quote=@busman7]Canada does not like it’s citizens to travel, they might lose their rose-coloured glasses & see it as it really is, a country with 10 months of winter, 2 months of mosquito infested poor sledding, governed by a Fascist civil servant dictatorship! (puke)
[/quote]

Huh!

[/quote]

I gotta agree with Dave’s assesment of the weather, especially after last summer’s floods and this winter’s never-ending snow.

And, yes a lot of civil servants can be a real pain in the … whatever. But somehow, I think that isn’t always just in Canada. I think the Brits have a word (jobsworth) that describes the same sort of civil servant.

All in all, there are things to like about Canada too.

Anyway, I think I am in danger of pushing this off-topic just a bit too far. So I will try to say no more.

I’m sure there are better places to live, just as there are certainly worse ones. Many sunny destinations look wonderful, but just as here, things work until they don’t. Get on the wrong side of any authorities and you can pay the price. Still, I would be more than happy if the current Canadian government took a permanent vacation somewhere warm. (and if you believe the “good book”, they are probably all slated to do so down the road!) :wink:

OK, one more off-topic comment from me.

I once heard politicians described as being like a bunch of bananas. They are all yellow, they hang together, and there isn’t a straight one in the bunch.

And, now, back on topic:

Thanks, Mad for the reminder/link. It could be something that a lot of us don’t think about.

Regards,
Jack

[quote=@dax]If you feel so strongly, please renounce your citizenship and leave the rest of us in peace.

As the ‘travelogue’ under each of my posts reads, I have been to many parts of the world and love to enjoy a week or two of sun in the winter. We have actively searched for winter (even permanent) homes but I have found nothing that comes close to my home in Canada and have given up the search. [/quote]As always you believe everyone is allowed an opinion, as long as it is the same as yours! (puke)

You’re ragging on my every post, to the point of having steffie j ban me on a couple of occasions is getting long in the tooth, no one is forcing you to read them, so if you don’t like what I have to say, DON’T READ MY POSTS[font color=“e66319”]!

[font color=“19e629”]Have a fine life in Canada’s frozen wasteland towing the civil [font color=“19e629”]servant line.

I prefer to live where I, doing what I want, when I want, paying my ow[font color=“1921e6”]n way, to[font color=“1921e6”] the cradle to grave nanny state where one must do as mommy say[font color=“1921e6”]s when she says![/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[quote=@radar][quote=@busman7]Canada does not like it’s citizens to travel, they might lose their rose-coloured glasses & see it as it really is, a country with 10 months of winter, 2 months of mosquito infested poor sledding, governed by a Fascist civil servant dictatorship! (puke)
[/quote]Huh![/quote]An intelligent offering from the dude having a hand in the demise of 2 Cuba forums. (zzz)

[quote=@djenning][quote=@busman7]Canada does not like it’s citizens to travel, they might lose their rose-coloured glasses & see it as it really is, a country with 10 months of winter, 2 months of mosquito infested poor sledding, governed by a Fascist civil servant dictatorship! (puke)
[/quote]No, really. Tell us what you really think. At least separate the front line service providing civil servant from the bloated bureaucracy/management/politicians. There are some services that should be provided to citizens that ensure an educated, food and water safety, health care system that doesn’t just benefit the rich. Lol[/quote]The reality is that politicians come and go while the “bloated bureaucracy” of union cash-for-life civil servants rule with an iron fist!

As to education/food and water safety/health care, compare today’s services to 20 yrs ago and see the major decline in all the above. :expressionless:

REALLY?? I don’t recall ragging at all. If I am doing that in your opinion, there must be a reason. I’m pretty sure you’re the guy I had good conversations with years ago about your B&B. You don’t sound like the same person at all.

My point was and is, it you think Canada is so bad, then put up or shut up. Slinging mud from thousands of miles away is cheap. Just like the shot you made at Radar.

[font color=“e61919”]“The reality is that politicians come and go while the “bloated bureaucracy” of union cash-for-life civil servants rule with an iron fist!
As to education/food and water safety/health care, compare today’s services to 20 yrs ago and see the major decline in all the above. :|”

This post is actually somewhat fair and there are times that I would agree with that statement.

If you want to have a meaningful conversation, then start with a reasonable statement. I have no problem discussing politics with you or anyone else. If you just want to b*tch, then talk to the mirror. We’re trying to avoid the need for mods to intervene. This forum has a real chance to succeed and if you want to be a part of it, you really need to calm down prior to posting. I’m not a mod but that is my opinion. Or as iggy says, “respect each other”

[quote=@busman7][quote=@djenning]No, really. Tell us what you really think. At least separate the front line service providing civil servant from the bloated bureaucracy/management/politicians. There are some services that should be provided to citizens that ensure an educated, food and water safety, health care system that doesn’t just benefit the rich. Lol[/quote]The reality is that politicians come and go while the “bloated bureaucracy” of union cash-for-life civil servants rule with an iron fist!

As to education/food and water safety/health care, compare today’s services to 20 yrs ago and see the major decline in all the above. :expressionless:
[/quote]

Demonizing, stereotyping civil servants, when many are actually trying to ensure the well being of the public, is small minded. Just as is describing them all as as ‘union cash-for-life civil servants’, (there are always some who take advantage or abuse the system both in and out of the public service). It is bad enough having to be under constant attack from politicians but then having to put up with people like yourself does little to make improve things. Those who want to serve the public have no choice to be in or out of a union. Both politicians and unions have both gone to far from time to time but that doesn’t mean we don’t have one of the better systems for society. If there is a decline in ‘all the above’ it isn’t because of the front line workers who are doing the best they can with the limitations imposed by the higher ups! But that doesn’t mean you scrap the entire system and go back to having nothing and leave everyone on their own.

We are self-employed and deal with government agencies all the time. I agree that I’ve had some excellent service from a few “front line workers”. I’m guessing that you are perhaps one of them?

My experience however has been that for every one excellent person, there are 20 others who don’t take much pride in their work and are less than helpful, even confusing to the point of giving you erroneous information which causes no end of grief down the road.

Once you’ve been down the road of government h*ll and unnecessary nonsense, it’s really difficult to have much trust or faith in the system. I learned long ago not to count on government for much and that I’d better learn to take care of myself.

I can understand busman’s point of view. I happen to know he’s been down that road!

[quote=@dax][quote=@busman7]You’re ragging on my every post, to the point of having steffie j ban me on a couple of occasions is getting long in the tooth, no one is forcing you to read them, so if you don’t like what I have to say, DON’T READ MY POSTS[font color=“e66319”]![/font][/quote]REALLY?? I don’t recall ragging at all

[/quote]REALLY??  Selective memory, EH!

[font color=“e61963”][font color=“e61963”][i]

[font color=“1f1d1e”][/i][i]

[/i][/font][/font][/font]

OP offered some very valuable information…question shall we keep it on topic please

Jus to add mi dos centavos, I realize that the former moderators were heavy handed, but a forum without moderating can just become a battleground. This forum nearly died because of over-moderation. Another forum that I used to enjoy seems to have been abandoned by a lot of interesting people, and I think it was because there was no moderation, and a few people got extremely insulting to some others, and as a result, the ones who were being insulted just gave up. Now, it seems there are a couple or three die-hards that post occasionally, but I tend to think that if there’s nobody there to listen, or answer, why bother to talk.

We don’t want this to be like it was when it was over-moderated, but we don’t want it to be just like a bunch of kids fighting in the playground. We are all grown-up (most of us, I think are probably over 50, some even older.) I’m sure we can all have a civil conversation without blaming each other for perceived slights in the past.

Yes, some of us have had some bad experiences with those whose job it is to provide service, and some have had good experiences. Our experiences colour our outlooks on a lot of things. That applies to all of us. But if we can’t learn something by listening to each other, then we are all probably watting our time here.

My rant is over for now.

Actually, I deleted the opening comment. The thread had gone so far off, that the opening post was no longer relevant. If I were able to delete the whole thread, I would.

Alas, what is happening is predictable, imho. But, it is what it is.

“I can’t take it anymore”, says a man to his friend. “It’s my wife. Every time we have an argument, she gets historical.” “Don’t you mean ‘hysterical’?” says his friend. “No, I mean historical”, replies the man. “Every argument we have, she’ll interject, ‘I still remember that time when you …’.”

lol