Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Out-of-province medical insurance - not only for Cuba

that’s funny madrugada
thanks

and as far as what CubaJack said X2

With permission can we delete this post as the Original poster had a very good topic but has deleted their post as this thread went so (way-off) topic

I don’t have a problem with deletion, but for me the issue would be that someone who was reading it or contributed to it will come back and wonder what happened, and possibly conclude that “the mods” are getting heavy handed again.

May I respectfully suggest that since Debbie’s forum has the useful ability to edit posts, the O.P. would be able to edit to indicate they are unsatisfied with the turn the thread has taken, and indicate their preference it be taken down…no objections within a predetermined time limit, away it goes. Someone might have a better solution, but I know from experience it is disconcerting to look for a thread you have been following and find it inexplicably gone. (to say nothing of what it does to one’s post count, not that that aspect affects me, but could conceivably bump a new member back and forth in “status”) :wink:

[quote=@cubajack]Jus to add mi dos centavos, I realize that the former moderators were heavy handed, but a forum without moderating can just become a battleground. This forum nearly died because of over-moderation. Another forum that I used to enjoy seems to have been abandoned by a lot of interesting people, and I think it was because there was no moderation, and a few people got extremely insulting to some others, and as a result, the ones who were being insulted just gave up. Now, it seems there are a couple or three die-hards that post occasionally, but I tend to think that if there’s nobody there to listen, or answer, why bother to talk.

We don’t want this to be like it was when it was over-moderated, but we don’t want it to be just like a bunch of kids fighting in the playground. We are all grown-up (most of us, I think are probably over 50, some even older.) I’m sure we can all have a civil conversation without blaming each other for perceived slights in the past.

Yes, some of us have had some bad experiences with those whose job it is to provide service, and some have had good experiences. Our experiences colour our outlooks on a lot of things. That applies to all of us. But if we can’t learn something by listening to each other, then we are all probably watting our time here.

My rant is over for now.[/quote]

3x this!!

Please guys if you have issues with each other PM each other and go OFF TOPIC place and talk, fight, kiss, hug etc but at least have respect for people that want to learn about travelling to Cuba. This was great topic posted./started by madrugada and I encourage you madrugada to start a new one. Lets keep on the track and hugs and fights in the other section right here http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/board/52/got-off-topic-say

As Canuks mentioned we asking permission of our members and original poster to delete this thread that leads to nothing informative any more!

As Canuks mentioned we asking permission of our members and original poster to delete this thread that leads to nothing informative any more!

[/quote]
Perhaps the thread could be closed, and moved to the off-topic section. Deleting it is giving permission for hit-and-runs … members can be as mean-spirited as they want and they get off Scot-free (with no denigration intended towards Scots) because their comments will be deleted.

But, if others think the thread should be deleted, so be it. I certainly don’t feel any ownership of this thread.

It is really unfortunate that such nasty, ugly accusations and dredging up of stuff that happened in the past rose so quickly to the surface.

Thanks to the mods … this is surely “baptism by fire” and probably not what they volunteered for.

If a thread is just going to get deleted, on or off topic, we run into the same problem as with the previous owner/mod in that you never know at what point the line is crossed, from friendly banter etc. Conversations eb and flow and you never know where a discussion might lead. If I saw that my contributions were just going to end up being deleted, then why post at all?

JMHO.

Post was not deleted. Post was moved as it went off the topic and owner of the topic deleted starting thread post. All parties are welcome to continue discussion here. Main Cuba forum and other travel forums must stay on the topic and bring good quality for users who read. We have around 800 guests daily looking for information about travelling to Cuba and for them to read this posts about politics etc is not benefit and without original first post doesn’t make any sense. We want new members to join us and to have quality conversation.
We at Debbies stopped removing post but some members do remove their own posts and that way discussion doesn’t make sense so we move it off the topic section. Some members have issues with other members for whatever reason that they had before and they still have strong emotions with each other so they can come here in off topic section and fight kiss hug etc … lets keep main forum for good quality discussion!

[quote=@djenning]If a thread is just going to get deleted, on or off topic, we run into the same problem as with the previous owner/mod in that you never know at what point the line is crossed, from friendly banter etc. Conversations eb and flow and you never know where a discussion might lead. If I saw that my contributions were just going to end up being deleted, then why post at all?

JMHO.[/quote]

I hear what you are saying djenning, however, this thread lost all it’s value as a Cuba thread, and rather than delete it, it was moved to a more appropriate area, and will be watched carefully. As well, there is a notice on the main Cuba board, that it did not “just disappear”, that it was still going. I think this is more than enough, but that’s just my humble opinion

Perhaps I misread but I thought there was a suggestion to just delete a thread. I’d hate to feel I was wasting my time contributing if that were going to happen (deleting). If someone was outright offensive, swearing then it would be appropriate to remove that post.

Life is too short to hold animosity toward one another and I actually like having a debate with someone who holds an opposing view…because it is always possible that they may change my mind on a subject,…or vice versa lol.

I know it is important to keep on topic for someone who wants to come and learn about a particular issue in a thread and it can be distracting if things get off topic, but it is usually easy enough to just skip over a particular post(s) in a thread once you start to see the thread take a different direction.

Have to say I really like your way of looking at opposite opinions. Fair and respectful debate is always a good thing.

Moving the thread to off-topic was fine however it is sad that the OP decided to remove the opening post, making the whole thread redundant to anyone not following it from the beginning!

I removed the opening post because if anyone read it and thought that there would be interesting discussion following it, they would have been misled.

Don’t get me wrong – I am not at all opposed to threads wandering off-topic. But it isn’t fair to other members who thought that they would be discussing out-of-province medical insurance (in this particular case) to have to slog through mud-slinging.

Discussions can get heated – no question. Usually that shows that someone has strong feelings about an issue, which is great. The regular forum will hopefully allow us to share our opinions, and perhaps learn why they are held, instead of just taking the simple road to paint everyone with the same paintbrush.

Maybe if the nastiness can be kept in the “Off-Topic” thread, it might generate more discussion on the rest of the forum. And no … I am not at all suggesting that we all play PollyAnnas and never disagree. But if someone feels the need to trounce and belittle someone, maybe they could either do it on the off-topic forum, or by pm.

I am sorry that removing the original post has made you sad, busman. But I’m not going to bring it up every time we have a discussion! :-X jejeje

madrugada,

Your post was informative. It is always good to ensure you have coverage wherever you travel, be it out of province, where OHIP will only pay the base amount, or out of country.

Even when one ‘thinks’ they have coverage there is so much fine print, and exclusions that one be sure they actually have coverage until the get reimbursed/or costs paid. Insurers like to find loopholes to minimize their costs!

Good to know, whether you are attacked by a polar bear, or bitten by a killer whale. lol